So the Urban Meyer chase is on.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
Urban to USC would be like another Cheaty Petey dynasty.

i guess i dont see it that way. whats his likely tenure 5 years? im sure they would be really good during that time but i dont think were talking a decade long thing here.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I meant, whatever happened to the "John Hairball" discussion.

We're going to mail that one in because Lamar is currently healthy and hasn't figured out yet?

John might want out while his ticket is hot.

If you're going to discuss possible BK replacement, need to get more realistic.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
If the reports are true that the President and those who put their foot down on hiring Urban Meyer with his baggage caved to the big $$ sports boosters... the silver lining is that I can go back to full on HATING USC.

The bad news is that they will instantly be a top team with that collection of offensive talent, and then only get better.

I'll believe it when I see it. I can't believe a woman, who oversaw UNC's clean-up, would take the SC job and hire the sports world's #1 abuser-enabler right at ground zero of the #MeToo movement. Those Femifacists will tear her and SC down brick by brick. Add to that, SC's continued airplay in the Varsity Blues scandal which will play out weekly for the foreseeable future. If I was her, I'd get the F out of Dodge.

I'd love to know why she left Chapel Hill to head to the ghetto? *edit* Nevermind, Wiki says she's from Akron.

Free Manera

Reaction score
If the reports are true that the President and those who put their foot down on hiring Urban Meyer with his baggage caved to the big $$ sports boosters... the silver lining is that I can go back to full on HATING USC.

The bad news is that they will instantly be a top team with that collection of offensive talent, and then only get better.

It was fun to kick USC while they were down. But. I want them to be good again for 2 reasons:

1. Other than UGA, the schedule has not included tier 1 or 2 teams recently. This allows a good ND team to masquerade as a great team. I want ND to be tested every year. I have no interest in lucking in to the playoff and getting pounded. Let's see how good ND is. If it isn't good enough, then wake up and do something to get better.

2. It could allow for an 11-1 ND team to get in. The scenario I'm thinking of: Lose a game early to a weaker team. Get better as the year goes on, then beat a stacked, highly ranked USC to end the year. There would be at least a chance of punching the ticket, whereas beating an 8-4 USC doesn't move the needle.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. I can't believe a woman, who oversaw UNC's clean-up, would take the SC job and hire the sports world's #1 abuser-enabler right at ground zero of the #MeToo movement. Those Femifacists will tear her and SC down brick by brick. Add to that, SC's continued airplay in the Varsity Blues scandal which will play out weekly for the foreseeable future. If I was her, I'd get the F out of Dodge.

I'd love to know why she left Chapel Hill to head to the ghetto? *edit* Nevermind, Wiki says she's from Akron.

Agree, but she only said there were no limitations on who he pursues. She'll still have final approval on who gets hired. Besides, if she were to come out now and say she put some restrictions on, that would give the FB program a black eye and bad publicity (AD has no power).

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score
giphy.gif

No buyout. Hire a legendary former player who probably wouldnt demand an outrageous salary. Would 100% put butts in seats for a couple years at least....and they are likely worried about money and engaging the fanbase....yeah actually it sounds like something FSU would do

T Town Tommy

Alabama Bag Man
Reaction score
It was fun to kick USC while they were down. But. I want them to be good again for 2 reasons:

1. Other than UGA, the schedule has not included tier 1 or 2 teams recently. This allows a good ND team to masquerade as a great team. I want ND to be tested every year. I have no interest in lucking in to the playoff and getting pounded. Let's see how good ND is. If it isn't good enough, then wake up and do something to get better.

2. It could allow for an 11-1 ND team to get in. The scenario I'm thinking of: Lose a game early to a weaker team. Get better as the year goes on, then beat a stacked, highly ranked USC to end the year. There would be at least a chance of punching the ticket, whereas beating an 8-4 USC doesn't move the needle.

I dunno. With all the talent out West, it would be fairly easy for UM to elevate them quickly to a serious contender every year. It's best to let that program continue to be average at best.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, I agree with you. I was told early on that there were a lot of PISSED alums about what was happening at USC... destroying their reputation with scandals, going backwards and not forwards... that were in “ethics first” mode. And that despite a lot of boosters demanding Urban Meyer, their President and this group would not cave.

So either pressure and $$$ won out — which would be very USC — or this is all smoke and mirrors, and they’ll settle with someone else.

Free Manera

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you. I was told early on that there were a lot of PISSED alums about what was happening at USC... destroying their reputation with scandals, going backwards and not forwards... that were in “ethics first” mode. And that despite a lot of boosters demanding Urban Meyer, their President and this group would not cave.

So either pressure and $$$ won out — which would be very USC — or this is all smoke and mirrors, and they’ll settle with someone else.

There were a lot of rumblings last year that Franklin was going to be the target, then they circled the wagons and didn't make a change. If they can't get Meyer or Stoops, I feel like they are going to try for someone from a bigger program instead of a Campbell or Fleck.

ND88

Reaction score
Yeah, we get laughed out of Michigan until 2030 or whatever, and now USC rolls us on a yearly basis.

All because ND thinks it's too high and mighty for UM when we have a golden opportunity to get him here.

Looks like another sweet decade of ND beating Pitt being what we hang our hat on.

I'm really looking forward to it, should be fun.

Man, it must suck to be a ND fan. I think there’s a lot of dudes posted up on the ledge with depression and sh*t. Laughing at the homers who still cheer for such a terrible team with a terrible coach and terrible everything.

Last edited:

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
Why do you think that's true?

Urban has had two PERFECT opportunities to take the job, but declined both times.

Sure, it's rumored that ND is the only job he'd take a call from at this point, but he'd bitch out again just like the first two times. Restoring ND to championship fame appeals to his ego, but he won't meet the challenge when it comes time to sign his name to paper.

Plus, his wifey isn't going to be cool with it, period, and Shelly runs things.

The ND job as it currently stands is way better than the one he turned down. Not even close.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
I would imagine the Chase Young situation doesn’t help Urban’s cause at USC (tho, like Lax, I think there are bigger, non-football, reasons the current USC administration doesn’t want to hire him). Bad timing (for him) for this to come out.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
The ND job as it currently stands is way better than the one he turned down. Not even close.

The job is wayyyyyyy better these days. But he didn't turn it down because the roster was bad, or because there wasn't a training table, or because there wasn't field turf, or because the program was generally behind the times.

He turned it down because he doesn't want to play third fiddle to his athletic director AND the university administration.

Urban doesn't even want to play second fiddle wherever he coaches.

No chance he would nut up and take on the challenge if offered the job.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
The job is wayyyyyyy better these days. But he didn't turn it down because the roster was bad, or because there wasn't a training table, or because there wasn't field turf, or because the program was generally behind the times.

He turned it down because he doesn't want to play third fiddle to his athletic director AND the university administration.

Urban doesn't even want to play second fiddle wherever he coaches.

No chance he would nut up and take on the challenge if offered the job.

Good point. That's why White got caught with his pants down when this came out. Meyer didn't want anyone else making decisions for the FB program.

ickythump1225

Reaction score
I dunno. With all the talent out West, it would be fairly easy for UM to elevate them quickly to a serious contender every year. It's best to let that program continue to be average at best.
Yeah LOL@ any ND fan that wants USC good again. How quickly we forget the PC years. You think the Carroll years were bad? Imagine USC with an all time great coach who has done nothing but win since he started coaching.

TheMightyQuinn10

Keith Moon Of I.E.
Reaction score
Once again I never been on the fire Brian Kelly wagon or any of that nonsense ..but at this point over these years and after the game I saw last week that look like a Charlie Weis coached team, I am absolutely disgusted. Not that Brian hasn't done everything that he could I just think maybe he doesn't have that fire like a PJ Fleck type mind you... but when it comes to Urban I never can see the university actually hiring him but my personal view is I would take him in the second over the spoiled children... that is our worst case scenario my friends.

Just saying In my humble opinion.

Last edited:

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Yeah LOL@ any ND fan that wants USC good again. How quickly we forget the PC years. You think the Carroll years were bad? Imagine USC with an all time great coach who has done nothing but win since he started coaching.

Yeah, I don't look forward to the day when USC hires a good coach. They still enjoy a steady stream of the best west coast talent because of their location, legacy, and appeal. A good coach could clean up easily and right now the PAC-12 is ripe for the taking. A little momentum and they're rolling again, and with that the recruiting will only improve. Last year was the first class that wasn't ranked in the Top 10 going back a decade, and they're often in the Top 5 or Top 3. Our 2019 class was actually higher ranked than theirs. How they haven't been more successful in the post-Petey period is beyond me.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Urban positioning himself to take over from his his former OC, Tom Herman? Some people on reddit are speculating so

https://thespun.com/big-12/texas-longhorns/urban-meyer-says-there-are-2-problems-with-texas-football

“Let’s talk about the why. Here is the why. There’s two reasons — No. 1, evaluation. You have to really, thoroughly go back and say, ‘Are we evaluating the right way in our program?’ But here’s where I want to spend a second talking about, development. Once they get on your campus, you have to develop them. And when I say development, it’s weight room, it’s training room, it’s nutritionists — it might even be a sports psychologist — and then, of course, it’s going to be the assistant coaches.

“So the what is yeah, they haven’t had many players drafted. That’s fine. The average viewer can say, ‘OK, that’s the what.’ But let’s dig deep, lift up the hood and say why — it’s evaluation process and it’s development of the player. If the NFL Draft doesn’t start showing more Texas Longhorn players every spring, it’s going to be the same old story."

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Would Urban rather coach Texas than, say, the Cowboys?

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
When are the Cowboys gonna open back up? They just hired McCarthy and Jerry likes to give his coaches many chances.

Still never understood this hire. He was stale for about 3 or 4 years in GB before they finally moved on...I'm no fan of McCarthy.

Urban would have been a splashier hire too. I have no doubt that if he went to Austin they'd be "back" in short order.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Still never understood this hire. He was stale for about 3 or 4 years in GB before they finally moved on...I'm no fan of McCarthy.

Urban would have been a splashier hire too. I have no doubt that if he went to Austin they'd be "back" in short order.

Especially because it's clear now... with LaFleur in charge... how much McCarthy was holding them back. GB is shredding teams despite a ton of injuries on offense.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
i still think the next cowboys coach is sitting in Norman

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
As much as I think BK has really helped ND get back some major swagger, along with trailblazing some upgrades they desperately needed. I'm a whore and would take Urban Liar or whatever we need to call him in a heartbeat. Every stud football player over the age of 10 knows the kind of coach UM is, and they've also heard of ND. If (I know it won't) Urban and ND would ever seal the deal...He would 100000% win a title even with the strict guidelines at ND within his first 5 years. And after he started his first year 8-0 we would all be singing a very different tune....

I believe he’s cited ND admissions and the academic requirements as a reason he didn’t want to take the job after Willingham. He couldn’t recruit the players he would want.

Thank being said, BK has had to adapt and he’s done well with recruiting and on-field success. But, I don’t doubt the fact that Meyer could probably do a little better with what we have on the roster than BK has.

texbender

Reaction score
Would Urban rather coach Texas than, say, the Cowboys?

UT, without question. No issue paying him, recruiting hotbed, nice lifestyle in Austin, playing for NC every year.

Hermann F'ed up a golden opportunity, has now dug himseld a hell of a hole.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
UT, without question. No issue paying him, recruiting hotbed, nice lifestyle in Austin, playing for NC every year.

Hermann F'ed up a golden opportunity, has now dug himseld a hell of a hole.

The problems with Texas FB mirror our own in a lot of ways. Football is a conservative blue-collar type of game, so the more prestigious, wealthy and entitled your school is, the harder it becomes to maintain the sort of culture necessary to win. The Ivy League used to dominate the sport, but now it's nothing but a historical relic to them.

A friend of mine (and UT alum) recently described UT as "the Michigan of the Great Plains", which means it probably won't be easy to turn things around there.