So the Urban Meyer chase is on.

Irish in Ohio

Reaction score
FSU just fired Willie Taggart as there HC. Getting a jump on the sweepstakes that is all about Urban.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
FSU just fired Willie Taggart as there HC. Getting a jump on the sweepstakes that is all about Urban.

They already said they wouldn't target Meyer under any circumstance. And the following was reported this morning:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Reports: Urban Meyer is not expected to be targeted by USC in the Trojans' potential coaching search.<a href="https://t.co/eQSTGIOPMu">https://t.co/eQSTGIOPMu</a> <a href="https://t.co/TFNOWrftTU">pic.twitter.com/TFNOWrftTU</a></p>— 247Sports (@247Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports/status/1191063303600181250?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 3, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
If those teams aren't willing to take a look at Urban, Jack shouldn't.

I cannot imagine how bad the articles would be if Urban was actually hired at ND.

Rizzophil

Reaction score
FSU athletic department is a complete debacle. I wonder how much money they are going to offer someone. This will be interesting.

ND88

Reaction score
If those teams aren't willing to take a look at Urban, Jack shouldn't.

I cannot imagine how bad the articles would be if Urban was actually hired at ND.

I can’t stand Urban Meyer and think the dude is scum...

BUT

I really don’t give a flying f-u-*-k about sports reporters and their opinions on ND.

So many of them hate us and enjoy our demise. So screw them. Who cares what they think?

25+ years of mediocrity has afforded us the insight of their resentment and disdain.

I’m open to ND being the bad guys more often.... just not with Urban, because Urban... not for favor with the media or public.

Irishize

Reaction score
FSU athletic department is a complete debacle. I wonder how much money they are going to offer someone. This will be interesting.

Yeah when you fire someone before they finish two seasons, it points to a systemic issue w/in the program that’s not going to be remedied by swapping HC out every 2-3 years. Not saying taggart was the right hire....but more about why was he deemed the right hire & by whom? Add that to what Jimbo left behind (I don’t think he brought one assistant w/ him to TAMU) and it’s a toxic situation.

Arkansas is at the same crossroads. Do they fire Chad morris two years in w/ no better proven option in line to take his place? Again, that’s a systemic issue w/ their program. Bielema gutted that roster as well.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score

BUT

I really don’t give a flying f-u-*-k about sports reporters and their opinions on ND.

So many of them hate us and enjoy our demise. So screw them. Who cares what they think?

25+ years of mediocrity has afforded us the insight of their resentment and disdain.

I’m open to ND being the bad guys more often.... just not with Urban, because Urban... not for favor with the media or public.

Urban has very specific baggage that would be play poorly with being the next ND Head Coach. I imagine the subject of his suspension last year and the Zach Smith debacle would prevent Urban from ever being a serious candidate for the ND head coaching position.

ND88

Reaction score
Urban has very specific baggage that would be play poorly with being the next ND Head Coach. I imagine the subject of his suspension last year and the Zach Smith debacle would prevent Urban from ever being a serious candidate for the ND head coaching position.

I’m definitely not disagreeing with you about Urban. It won’t happen. I just think Notre Dame already has an either you love it or hate it aura.

Irish in Ohio

Reaction score
They already said they wouldn't target Meyer under any circumstance. And the following was reported this morning:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Reports: Urban Meyer is not expected to be targeted by USC in the Trojans' potential coaching search.<a href="https://t.co/eQSTGIOPMu">https://t.co/eQSTGIOPMu</a> <a href="https://t.co/TFNOWrftTU">pic.twitter.com/TFNOWrftTU</a></p>— 247Sports (@247Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports/status/1191063303600181250?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 3, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not saying they aren't telling the truth, but I have a feeling they will reach out to Urban and see what kinda interest he has. For FSU to make a change in season they have to think they can make a home run hire, yes ?

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Not saying they aren't telling the truth, but I have a feeling they will reach out to Urban and see what kinda interest he has. For FSU to make a change in season they have to think they can make a home run hire, yes ?

I think they want to be ahead of the curve, as you said. If you know you are moving on you want to fire your current coach as soon as possible to get a jump on the market and have the best chance of salvaging your recruiting class. I think they are more likely to get a middle tier coach (Fleck, Campbell, Rhule) than a guy like Meyer or Stoops to come out of retirement... but weirder things have happened.

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score

BUT

I cant like this post enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
So the Urban Meyer chase is on.

Anyone want to go down the rabbit hole?

WHAT IF.....FSU (or even better, USC) puts together an absolute sweetheart package for BK, and he accepts?

At that point, you have a PR nightmare on your hands anyways (explaining why a blue blood program couldnt keep their coach from bolting elsewhere), why not offer Urbs a sweetheart deal of your own?

Last edited:

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score

WHAT IF.....FSU (or even better, USC) puts together an absolute sweetheart package for BK, and he accepts?

At that point, you have a PR nightmare on your hands anyways (explaining why a blue blood program couldnt keep their coach from bolting elsewhere), why not offer Urbs a sweetheart deal of your own?

Honestly I'd be surprised if FSU and/or USC didn't at least kick the tires on BK. If BK then reciprocates the tire-kicking, Swarbrick will have an interesting decision to make.
But, no, the answer is not Urban Meyer.

317Irish

Reaction score
Honestly I'd be surprised if FSU and/or USC didn't at least kick the tires on BK. If BK then reciprocates the tire-kicking, Swarbrick will have an interesting decision to make.
But, no, the answer is not Urban Meyer.
Am I naive to think the there’s basically 0% chance BK would go to FSU?

Greenore

Reaction score
Please tell me... because I honestly have no info than what I read.

Why is there this big hate for Urban? I'm good with CBK but if HE decides to leave, why should we not consider UM? I'm not being facetious nor setting a trap.

I think he got a BS deal from pOSU but I also figured there was likely info that was not in the public domain. It seemed so bizarre?

Cheers and Go Irish!!

317Irish

Reaction score

BUT

I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn’t care at all what the press says because the premier network is blatantly spewing out Notre Dame hate on the regular. However, I don’t think we should stoop so low as to bringing in Urvan Meyer under any circumstance. Outsiders may think that and is just as dirty as everyone else but I sure don’t. If we brought in Urban I would reconsider that thought

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Please tell me... because I honestly have no info than what I read.

Why is there this big hate for Urban? I'm good with CBK but if HE decides to leave, why should we not consider UM? I'm not being facetious nor setting a trap.

I think he got a BS deal from pOSU but I also figured there was likely info that was not in the public domain. It seemed so bizarre?

Cheers and Go Irish!!

IMO. Because he oversaw an astounding number of felonies among his players at Florida. Then looked the other way, and lied at press conferences about it, when one of his assistant coaches at OSU was (allegedly) beating his wife. Not to mention various football-related scumbaggery.
The guy's a great football coach, but not so much as a person. For our job, at least, that does matter. To me, anyway.

(P.S. I suspect USC, which is overcoming broad university-wide scandals and at which a large chunk of the alumni base doesn't really care about winning the Pac-12, will make the same calculation and avoid Urban Meyer. FSU, I'm less sure about. Though maybe, burned by Jimbo, they won't want to turn the keys over to another egomaniacal dickhead quite so soon.)

Last edited:

Greenore

Reaction score
IMO. Because he oversaw an astounding number of felonies among his players at Florida. Then looked the other way, and lied at press conferences about it, when one of his assistant coaches at OSU was (allegedly) beating his wife. Not to mention various football-related scumbaggery.
The guy's a great football coach, but not so much as a person. For our job, at least, that does matter. To me, anyway.

Thanks! I knew about the pOSU stuff but didn't see any direct implications. The Florida stuff, especially the lies, could be problematic.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score

I am curious if the debacle started with J. Winston... everything seemed to just go downhill from there.

Sea Turtle

Reaction score
Hasn't Urban turned ND down twice? Once before Florida and once after? What makes anybody think he wouldn't do it a third time?

I would bet that Kelly would like to coach at an FSU. He would finally be able to compete for national championships and not have to have everything go right every few years just to get seal clubbed by an Alabama or a Clemson.

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
I am curious if the debacle started with J. Winston... everything seemed to just go downhill from there.

As far as the athletic department goes, FSU has been a renegade program since Bowden and the army of boosters he built took over, so of course they have some nincompoops running the show, they havent had to do their job for 3 decades.

Now, they are staring at their second losing season in a row (their last losing season before this streak was 1976, Bowdens first year), and all of a sudden have to come up with some way to lure another lamb to the slaughter.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score

There were BK to USC rumors when they hired Helton, IIRC (maybe it was pre-Sark).

I expect there to be more of them this offseason.

Henges24

Reaction score
I’ll permaban if ND ever hires Meyer as the head football coach.

Not that I would be THAT upset about it but just because I know it will never happen.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score

But why ruin a perfectly unnecessary thread?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

tko

I am Legend
Reaction score
As far as the athletic department goes, FSU has been a renegade program since Bowden and the army of boosters he built took over, so of course they have some nincompoops running the show, they havent had to do their job for 3 decades.

Now, they are staring at their second losing season in a row (their last losing season before this streak was 1976, Bowdens first year), and all of a sudden have to come up with some way to lure another lamb to the slaughter.

"Hear the lambs, Clarice."

TDHeysus

FLOOR(RAND()*(N-D+1))+D;
Reaction score
I dont buy that USC is not going after Urban Liar....I think they are secretly all-in on him.

USC does not want to end up with another 'helton' hire; they want Urbs without making it look like he is their target.

Sea Turtle

Reaction score
I dont buy that USC is not going after Urban Liar....I think they are secretly all-in on him.

USC does not want to end up with another 'helton' hire; they want Urbs without making it look like he is their target.

I agree. And it would not be good for ND. It would be Carrol vs Weis all over again.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
Fuck it hire Urban.

He can reclaim his image, we can show our virtuous catholic belief in forgiveness, and win some ringzzz.