So the Urban Meyer chase is on.

EvilleIrish

Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death, but I just can't shake the notion of him coming back to ND for one last ride after BK hangs it up.

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score
The problems with Texas FB mirror our own in a lot of ways. Football is a conservative blue-collar type of game, so the more prestigious, wealthy and entitled your school is, the harder it becomes to maintain the sort of culture necessary to win. The Ivy League used to dominate the sport, but now it's nothing but a historical relic to them.

My friend, a UT alum, says they're basically the Michigan of the Great Plains, which means it probably won't be easy to turn things around there.

The people of the Plains take exception to allowing UT to be considered a part of the Great Plains.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
The problems with Texas FB mirror our own in a lot of ways. Football is a conservative blue-collar type of game, so the more prestigious, wealthy and entitled your school is, the harder it becomes to maintain the sort of culture necessary to win. The Ivy League used to dominate the sport, but now it's nothing but a historical relic to them.

My friend, a UT alum, says they're basically the Michigan of the Great Plains, which means it probably won't be easy to turn things around there.

academic admissions an issue for UT football program though?

Wild Bill

Reaction score

The distinction, and it's a big one, is the in-state talent Urban has in Texas. Even with resepct to out of state talent, Texas is simply more desirable than Michigan for most elite players south of the mason dixon line.

He pulled a ton of elite talent from all over the country at OSU and he'll do the same at Texs and get the benefit of in state recruits as well.

Elite coach, elite staff, enormous budget, recruits like a savage, access to in state recruits in Texas, deep connections to Florida and Ohio, two of the top five talent producing states, and a, shall we say, sleazy win at all costs attitude has me thinking Urban would have Texas in the playoffs/competing very quick. Keep in mind that Texas players aren't just talented athletes. They have access to elite level high school coaching so many of them come in mentally ready to play. Give him year or two at Texas and he'll be in the playoffs, if not hoisting a Trophy.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death, but I just can't shake the notion of him coming back to ND for one last ride after BK hangs it up.

I don't think either party would be privy to that....not given his checkered history at UF and pOSU

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
academic admissions an issue for UT football program though?

That's true, though I don't believe for a second that's a real obstacle at Michigan either.

Elite coach, elite staff, enormous budget, recruits like a savage, access to in state recruits in Texas, deep connections to Florida and Ohio, two of the top five talent producing states, and a, shall we say, sleazy win at all costs attitude has me thinking Urban would have Texas in the playoffs/competing very quick. Keep in mind that Texas players aren't just talented athletes. They have access to elite level high school coaching so many of them come in mentally ready to play. Give him year or two at Texas and he'll be in the playoffs, if not hoisting a Trophy.

You could put Meyer at virtually any blue-blood program and he'd likely have them competing for championships within 3 years. I was just pushing back against the idea that it's especially easy to win at UT. Yes, they have the typical advantages that most blue-blood programs do, but they've also got more than their fair share of dysfunction and entitlement. So unless they luck into an inspired coaching hire, I don't expect them to come roaring back any time soon.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Never underestimate a man's ego to cement his legacy or a school's desire to get back on top

I continue to doubt ND's overall institutional desire to get back on top. There isn't a tidal wave of support for the football program amongst faculty, staff, and even students like there used to be, or at least according to folks I've spoken to.

BK has done wonders with Jack's support, and it helps that Jenkins has been pretty invested in seeing the football program modernize.

But if Jenkins were to go, the fate of football rests with the next president being an ally (along with the next AD carrying a big stick at the Power 5 negotiating tables the way JS does).

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, I will never doubt Urban's ego lol.

Sea Turtle

Reaction score
We don't need Urban Meyer. We needed Nick Saban when he was willing to 'crawl to South Bend'.

After Kelly, we need to find the next Saban. Who knows who that is. I was hoping Rhule would wait a couple more years

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
We don't need Urban Meyer. We needed Nick Saban when he was willing to 'crawl to South Bend'.

After Kelly, we need to find the next Saban. Who knows who that is. I was hoping Rhule would wait a couple more years

PJ Fleck

Polish Leppy 22

Reaction score
Would Urban rather coach Texas than, say, the Cowboys?

Texas over any NFL job if you're one of the the best coaches in college football ... Saban, Meyer, Dabo, etc.

BK has said too any coach who goes from college to NFL loses all roster control. 5-10 years ago NFL coaches were trying to get college gigs because the money is so damn good, but now the tide is turning back to the NFL because of the new recruiting calendar and how taxing it is.

Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Meyer, Dabo...they would all be crazy to take an NFL job over a top 15 college job. Absolutely nuts.

NDRock

Reaction score
Texas over any NFL job if you're one of the the best coaches in college football ... Saban, Meyer, Dabo, etc.

BK has said too any coach who goes from college to NFL loses all roster control. 5-10 years ago NFL coaches were trying to get college gigs because the money is so damn good, but now the tide is turning back to the NFL because of the new recruiting calendar and how taxing it is.

Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Meyer, Dabo...they would all be crazy to take an NFL job over a top 15 college job. Absolutely nuts.

Agree. Saban discovered very quickly when he took the Dolphins job just how tough the NFL is. I’d say after year 2 at Bama, he’s not had to face a team with a talent advantage over him. He’s got it made.

Polish Leppy 22

Reaction score
Agree. Saban discovered very quickly when he took the Dolphins job just how tough the NFL is. I’d say after year 2 at Bama, he’s not had to face a team with a talent advantage over him. He’s got it made.

Yep, with a statue built for him. The right coach at Texas, USC, etc would share similar stories. Talented kids within miles, all the resources and tradition, no academic BS, recruit whoever you want.

I'd say even more advantaged for those 2 because they're in weak conferences and should (for the most part) smash their conference competition.

NDRock

Reaction score
Yep, with a statue built for him. The right coach at Texas, USC, etc would share similar stories. Talented kids within miles, all the resources and tradition, no academic BS, recruit whoever you want.

I'd say even more advantaged for those 2 because they're in weak conferences and should (for the most part) smash their conference competition.

Agree. Urban would kill it at either one of those places.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Especially because it's clear now... with LaFleur in charge... how much McCarthy was holding them back. GB is shredding teams despite a ton of injuries on offense.

This. Proof is in the pudding.

Urban Meyer in Austin would reel things back in on the recruiting trail with that program. OU, TAMU, etc. would all be afterthoughts. I don't know if that is anything anyone wants to see, but knowing the way that guy operates, it would be back up and running faster than not. Not that he would have to leave the state to get players, but he'd have the Florida and Ohio contacts to start luring those top players down there. Scary.

Shelley only likes warm weather, so Texas or SC would be just fine. I'd rather he go to Texas than SC, obviously.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
This. Proof is in the pudding.

Urban Meyer in Austin would reel things back in on the recruiting trail with that program. OU, TAMU, etc. would all be afterthoughts. I don't know if that is anything anyone wants to see, but knowing the way that guy operates, it would be back up and running faster than not. Not that he would have to leave the state to get players, but he'd have the Florida and Ohio contacts to start luring those top players down there. Scary.

Shelley only likes warm weather, so Texas or SC would be just fine. I'd rather he go to Texas than SC, obviously.

Columbus isn't exactly on the gulf coast.

Has Urban Liar let it be known he’s looking, or is this reasonable speculation?

I think it's speculation, but one thing to think about is his age and how much influence Shelley may have on a decision today. He's 56, so he's got some gas left in the coaching tank. However, they've moved all around their entire marriage. Given he's made a lot of money and he is on the downside of his career, she might say it's time to plant some roots and enjoy life. Afterall, he can still make a lot of money as a TV analyst.

I would also prefer he land at UT over USC.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Columbus isn't exactly on the gulf coast.

Thank you for clarifying. I've only been there during the summer.

Assuming that because she is from Ohio and tOSU is his actual dream job, I suppose she made an exception. By now he's got money to where they probably have a home in Dublin OH, one in Florida or wherever they feel like it.

If I'm getting paid millions and I get millions if I fail only to be fired later, I can handle some snow.

It is my understanding that Mrs. Saban had given St. Nick an ultimatum as it related to climate. Cleveland and East Lansing were simply enough for Miss Terry.

I think Texas is more appealing to the Meyers from what I would guess.

Rogue219

Reaction score
If I'm looking at this, Texas has got some real problems in the short and long term.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-F...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Don't see a lot of Horns on this list.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-F...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

2020 isn't much better.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-F...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Urban can talk about evaluation, and there's truth to that, but Mack Brown got Texas back up and running by locking down the state. This looks like anything but locked down when Clemson, Bama and LSU are coming in taking your guys.

Somebody like Meyer comes in and probably recruits this thing right back into relevance for my money. I had to look at 247 to realize that these kids are probably too young to remember Vince Young or even Colt McCoy for that matter.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m banning the next person that bumps this thread with the purpose of implying that ND should look at Urban Meyer.

Either you’re trolling for attention, or too stupid to be on this here website.

(Seriously though… fuck Urban Meyer. He’s a scumbag that isn’t worthy of stepping foot back on ND’s campus.)

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
I’m banning the next person that bumps this thread with the purpose of implying that ND should look at Urban Meyer.

(Seriously though… fuck Urban Meyer. He’s a scumbag that isn’t worthy of stepping foot back on ND’s campus.)
Is Urban catholic? Asking for a friend...

Sea Turtle

Reaction score

Agreed. But to be fair, he wants nothing to do with ND either.

Sea Turtle

Reaction score
Isn’t ND his dream job? I just read something about it. You think we’d have a chance with him as OC if Rees leaves?
No, it was never his dream job. He wants to win and win big. People say lots of things.

ND put the full court press on him and he told them no, resulting in the embarrassing empty handed flight home by the ND leadership. He told them no again a few years later.

No top coach who is trying to win at the highest level would consider ND. Even an old Bob Stoops, who was still a name, said no.

It's always going to have to be a younger up and comer at a smaller school who wants to move up. But as we've seen with Kelly, even they will want to move up to where they can win come playoff time.

T-Boone

Reaction score
No, it was never his dream job. He wants to win and win big. People say lots of things.

ND put the full court press on him and he told them no, resulting in the embarrassing empty handed flight home by the ND leadership. He told them no again a few years later.

No top coach who is trying to win at the highest level would consider ND. Even an old Bob Stoops, who was still a name, said no.

It's always going to have to be a younger up and comer at a smaller school who wants to move up. But as we've seen with Kelly, even they will want to move up to where they can win come playoff time.
I prefer the optimistic turtle

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Isn’t ND his dream job? I just read something about it. You think we’d have a chance with him as OC if Rees leaves?
He had his opportunity when Willingham was fired, but Boob Davie talked him out of it. He said you can't win at Notre Dame anymore. Fuck Urban and Davie, but mostly Urban. He's toxic at this point anyway.