College Athletics Branding - Name Image Likeness Rules

Dale

Reaction score
Ole Miss collective essentially renewing players for compensation - in effect announcing they are not transferring:

Dale

Reaction score

Not exactly batting 1.000 yet though lol. Maybe don’t let news break about replacing DC on the same day

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Since these are real dollar payouts that ultimately get "done", there are enough schools with crazy alumni and greedy administrations to buy whole teams of players every year. If your team does not do this, then some of those teams are going to kick your ass every year. Plus, all such teams will be reloaded every year via High School or Portal purchasing.

I don't see any way to stop this separation of the money-gushers from the rest of college football. The only thing that I can imagine happening (other than some outside agency like a combo of NCAA and most University Presidents making drastic and courageous rules --- which will be challenged in court), would be if prospective players can get the money-gushers into serious bidding wars --- I mean multi-million dollar price tags --- so that even they cannot buy whole teams. This would toss the situation into a rough analogy of the NFL, where ultimately money availability runs short even for them. I also wonder what a Salary Cap on college teams would look like.

Also, this sounds like the "Who the Hell ever needs High School?" scenario. What in the world (other than education laws) would ever stop a huge number of potential pro/college (no difference now) athletes from only being parts of Pro-Prep teams without even the illusion of attending school? It is my out-of-date belief that going to school markedly helps certain people with Life and social-integrating skills and a touch of reality. .... but who the hell cares, I guess. Hey, baby, it's MONEY.

Last edited:

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
Also, this sounds like the "Who the Hell ever needs High School?" scenario. What in the world (other than education laws) would ever stop a huge number of potential pro/college (no difference now) athletes from only being parts of Pro-Prep teams without even the illusion of attending school? It is my out-of-date belief that going to school markedly helps certain people with Life and social-integrating skills and a touch of reality. .... but who the hell cares, I guess. Hey, baby, it's MONEY.
Seems like it's trending that direction. First EEing became way more common, now reclassifying is happening more and more often.

jprue24

Reaction score
We have examples of what this could look like.

MLS teams have been running academies for....I wanna say a decade. European soccer clubs have been doing it for decades. Here is an article about how it works.

Consider this, the NCAA college athletics system is built on the foundation that a college education is fair compensation for the athlete. We know that for the vast majority of college athletes this is a great deal. But for a significant number of athletes, this is a poor deal. The amount of money their work generates far outstrips the cost of an education. Compound that onto the reality that the NCAA has severely restrict or prohibited from developing revenue streams and it's not hard to see the appeal of "who the hell needs school". Especially when school will always be there, the ability to play high level sports won't (unless you are a freak like Brady, Lebron, or Kareem).

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
I'm talking mainly about skipping high school.
The funny thing is the trend is almost the opposite.

More and more elite football recruits are coming out of prep/private/Catholic schools that offer better coaching/facilities than your typical public high school will in many parts of the country. They also tend to offer anywhere from better-than-average to elite academics. With a price tag to match. (I realize many of these elite athletes aren't paying full tuition but someone's writing the check, and they do tend to value education or why would they be involved with these schools in the first place?).

Maybe something like the European club soccer model could work in American football but why would they bother when the careers are so short and you don't have anywhere near the broad demand for players at the professional level, just 32 teams in the market for 52 guys apiece. It's not worth the investment. Especially when you have college football to develop players for you.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
The funny thing is the trend is almost the opposite.

More and more elite football recruits are coming out of prep/private/Catholic schools that offer better coaching/facilities than your typical public high school will in many parts of the country. They also tend to offer anywhere from better-than-average to elite academics. With a price tag to match. (I realize many of these elite athletes aren't paying full tuition but someone's writing the check, and they do tend to value education or why would they be involved with these schools in the first place?).

Maybe something like the European club soccer model could work in American football but why would they bother when the careers are so short and you don't have anywhere near the broad demand for players at the professional level, just 32 teams in the market for 52 guys apiece. It's not worth the investment. Especially when you have college football to develop players for you.
How does IMG's academics rank?

Am I crazy for trying to work some NIL deal with Little Debbie for my local youth FB team? lol

jprue24

Reaction score
IDK if y'all know of this twitter acct, but ND's FUND has one and they often RT stuff from players doing who're doing their volunteer work.

Here's stuff from Fisher and Correll from today.

I know they are getting compensated, but I hope this helps inspire all the players to a life of consistently volunteering to help, enrich, provide for, etc., the communities they are a part of.

GoldenAura

Reaction score
Any word on congressional legislation these days? This is just ridiculous.

"Someone with one of the best corners in the nation (in high school) came to me and asked if we’d pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here. I told him he can find another place to play.......I’m not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it."

"One of them wanted $500,000 and for us to get his girlfriend into law school at Alabama and pay for it. I showed him the door." Saban reportedly said."

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score

"Someone with one of the best corners in the nation (in high school) came to me and asked if we’d pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here. I told him he can find another place to play.......I’m not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it."

"One of them wanted $500,000 and for us to get his girlfriend into law school at Alabama and pay for it. I showed him the door." Saban reportedly said."
I'm glad that was Saban's response. This sort of nonsense has gotten out of hand. This is NOT what NIL was supposed to be.

Sea Turtle

Usually right, occasionally wrong.
Reaction score

Good.