College Athletics Branding - Name Image Likeness Rules

Free Manera

Reaction score
Where did you read this? I haven’t seen this on here or the 2 pay sites I am on. Obviously some are assumed.

Do you have in side sources like Lax?
The 247 guys have been saying it for awhile in pods and on the boards.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
The “ton of transfers” are not expected to be difference makers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free Manera

Reaction score
The “ton of transfers” are not expected to be difference makers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the thing though. Top 10 teams will fill these non-difference maker roster holes with difference-makers from the portal. ND has to do that too. Otherwise the roster is getting worse while the competition's get better.

For example ND is deep at RB. If a RB leaves, ND doesn't need to replace him with another RB. Instead ND needs to replace him with a good Vyper from the portal. That's a net positive.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Most schools will lose 10-15 kids a year to the portal. The good schools will be replacing them (at least partially) with upgrades. The issue ND has right now is that the transfer portal is the most transactional space right now for NIL and ND both 1) won’t make lump sum payments to players 2) has more restrictions on who they bring in (especially for undergrad!).

ND has got to figure out a way to get ~5 high impact guys a year at positions of need or they are going to get left behind.

Sea Turtle

Usually right, occasionally wrong.
Reaction score
Most schools will lose 10-15 kids a year to the portal. The good schools will be replacing them (at least partially) with upgrades. The issue ND has right now is that the transfer portal is the most transactional space right now for NIL and ND both 1) won’t make lump sum payments to players 2) has more restrictions on who they bring in (especially for undergrad!).

ND has got to figure out a way to get ~5 high impact guys a year at positions of need or they are going to get left behind.

Yep

ND88

Reaction score
Flamming is currently live talking about maintaining the balance of the culture regarding current players, making sure that the talent we have NOW is made whole before we start making moves on recruits like Fiske etc.

Who is Notre Dame’s accountant, lol? I have a headache.

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score

Careful. Common sense posts like this will make some users of this board big mad at you.

irishff1014

Reaction score
Flamming is currently live talking about maintaining the balance of the culture regarding current players, making sure that the talent we have NOW is made whole before we start making moves on recruits like Fiske etc.

Who is Notre Dame’s accountant, lol? I have a headache.

It’s true though. If you don’t make sure Diggs and Morrison get their money you will lose them. And they deserve the money more than Fiske.

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score
I’ve been saying for months talent retention is as important for ND (and others) as talent acquisition. Nobody wants to talk about retention as a positive though, only when it is a possible negative.
This is sort of analogous to the teacher shortage. Everyone in statehouses and policy making positions are making all these plans to try and stress people who aren’t teaching to enter the profession. What really has been neglected and (in my opinion) is more important is retention of current teachers.

If you want quality and positive culture, retention is equally as important as acquisition, regardless of the arena.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
I’ve been saying for months talent retention is as important for ND (and others) as talent acquisition. Nobody wants to talk about retention as a positive though, only when it is a possible negative.
Well, a lot of these discussions center on NIL as a whole.

The idea that you need to work to keep a guy like Mayer around for his junior season doesn't exist a non-NIL world; so it isn't really viewed as a positive.

Te'o4Heisman

Reaction score
This is sort of analogous to the teacher shortage. Everyone in statehouses and policy making positions are making all these plans to try and stress people who aren’t teaching to enter the profession. What really has been neglected and (in my opinion) is more important is retention of current teachers.

If you want quality and positive culture, retention is equally as important as acquisition, regardless of the arena.
Anybody who has school age kids and has any clue what is and isnt going on at school now days may argue this point with you.

As it pertains to ND football, 100% agree.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
It’s true though. If you don’t make sure Diggs and Morrison get their money you will lose them. And they deserve the money more than Fiske.
Yep, for all the hand-wringing about Fiske (and my hands wrung some too), if he'd come to Notre Dame he'd be like the 15-20th best/most important player on the team, and a one-year rental at that. Are the 14 to 19 guys ahead of him - most of whom we have far more invested in over multiple years - getting taken care of too?

Also, I think we're seeing how NIL can in fact be a positive when it comes to retention, even compared with the pre-NIL world. Hartman would've probably declared for the draft if not for the ability to earn substantial money in college. I wouldn't be surprised if NIL opportunities made it easier for Foskey to stay and play for Notre Dame this season. Could be a factor in why Hart stays, and hopefully Joseph too.

FWIrish4

Reaction score
Fortuna brought up ND’s recent partnership with Altius for NIL partnership and compliance at the 42 minute mark of the latest Shamrock pod. This is Oliver Luck’s company and basically aligned with all the big hitters.

He said that they signed a deal together and Notre Dame told them they didn’t want it publicized. ND is the only school to tell Altius this.

This is the smallest of things to help prop their public image of NIL and they think publicly announcing a completely legal and great partnership is a step too far?

What are we even doing then if this is where they draw the line?

Let’s just hope to start with the basics with ND publicly marketing the FUND collective. Pat Fitzgerald and freaking Northwestern are advertising theirs in press conferences.

Last edited:

Jiggafini19Deux

Clam Bakes and Shitty Takes
Reaction score
When this blows up, it's going to be some Deandre Johnson or Malik Henry situation where a five star dude gets millions up front and winds up at a JUCO for doing something stupid in a bad moment of being a teenager/early 20s football player. Nobody knows how this is going to play out down the line, which is why every piss down the leg negative comment in every 2024 recruiting profile on this board has become incredibly annoying already. NIL is just another aspect of how these recruits are going to look at schools. Somewhere along the line there is going to be a five star kid whose character and values align with what Marcus Freeman is offering at Notre Dame. We may just have to wait for that day to come, and patience is obviously something this fanbase and a lot of people on this board ran out of a long time ago.

We already got a bit of a taste with Spencer Rattler and OU of what a cautionary tale could look like. He was supposed to be the guy. Got endorsement deals and such at OU. Williams took his spot. Now Rattler is at SCAR and Williams is at SC with Lincoln Riley. I don't really want Notre Dame to go down these rabbit holes and wind up in scenarios like this one. What are the odds Dante Moore finishes his career at UCLA and is drafted in the first round into the NFL? How many of you here realistically think that programs like Oregon, Miami and TAMU are going to knock Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State off their perch? Where does Spencer Rattler fit in after college football? UDFA? Practice squad guy?

I don't know that even the coaches who are making seven and eight figure salaries really know how this is going to go. Will it be easier on Notre Dame? Obviously not. Nothing has been for a very long time. Will ND fade into college football oblivion because they're not paying safeties from Texas $2M up front? Probably not. I want to see it play out a little bit more, but what I can probably safely bet to all of you here is that one of these five star cats is going to blow up in someone's face and wind up at Last Chance U, and it will be one of the usual Power Five suspects that did the deed and made a bad calculation on a guy.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score

FREE ARCHIVED VERSION: All-America recruiting confidential: Elite ’23 prospects discuss NIL …

What was the largest amount of NIL money discussed with you by a coach or NIL representative?
Player 1:
$400K a year. It was surprising, for sure, playing defensive back.
Player 2: I never had money tossed my way in any conversations.
Player 3: Somebody tried to throw $1 million at me on signing day. Somebody called my parents and coaches. My loyalty to the program I signed with isn’t worth a million dollars. I’ll make that in no time.
Player 4: I don’t want to answer that one. It was more than $1 million.
Player 5: (One) school mentioned $3.2 million over four years.
Player 8: Nobody talked NIL with me or threw money at me.
Player 10: Over seven figures. It wasn’t the coaches. It was a guy who did NIL stuff. The closer I got to the commitment, the more and more things went up.
Player 11: You’re going to look at me like I’m dumb. It was $75,000, a car and my own apartment. But I know you are not getting money if you’re bad. The school introduces you to the people who are going to pay you.
Player 12: Numbers didn’t come up, but (a few schools) talked about what I could get. Schools knew that wasn’t going to attract me, though, so they didn’t talk about it much.
Player 13: The biggest amount of money was $3 million over four years. You want to get paid for your results. It played a factor, but not as big as some people think.
Player 14: There were some big numbers, but nothing specific. It was like between $50K and $75K. With the game nowadays, it’s normal. Those prices can range depending on how much of an impact you make with the program.
Player 15: I didn’t have any numbers float my way. I had a bond with the coach and made my decision based off that.