'23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State Verbal)

Dale

Reaction score
OSU seems confident as this comes to a close. Tennessee too. Go Bucks?

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
I will say this, and it’s not meant to be derogatory towards Tate. Some experiences in life can’t be substituted for money.

Everyone knows what Tennessee is doing and what they are about. That life will probably be of benefit for the quick and immediate flash, but ND will give you an experience that will challenge you to the core if you let it. It will expose your weaknesses quickly as a human being and then challenge you to overcome them and build up from the ashes. And this is just the day to day life part. Throw in a historic football program with a young, intelligent, and unique staff and team, the opportunity to build lifetime memories on that team level just can’t be bought.

Be careful, young man. Money is tremendous, but it isn’t everything. Tennessee is not about developing talent. They’re about buying you out, and will that truly give you more than the right now?
Golden Tate and several other players have merchandise in the Notre Dame bookstore. Golden Tate has socks, etc. Getting paid well beyond 1 year NIL in so many ways. I’ve been around the nation and I’ve yet to see a bookstore as busy as ND’s. ND will be paying these guys for life. The long term potential wealth from ND is too complicated for many to comprehend, unfortunately.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
I don't know Tate's situation at all, but he was attending a Catholic HS in Chicago and now IMG. He's better off than 99% of HS athletes with that said in addition to his football talent.

What I do know is that plenty of guys who played ball at ND and received degrees hit rough patches after the fact. On and off the field. Chris Zorich plead guilty to tax evasion and was broke at one point. The guy is one of the poster men for Notre Dame and what it can do for people. The guy was my favorite player and even at 44 years old when I see him speak I feel like I'm 12 again. Zorich is as Notre Dame as they come in terms of his HS background, how he got to ND, where he went and where he is today. His journey was not perfect. Few ever are.

It's how you respond to the opportunites that are presented to you in life and how you handle the rough patches, whether you're 17 years old or 28 years old or 50. The older you get, you should be more adept at handling those rough patches but you have to take the opportunities that come your way when you're young. Success or failure, you LEARN from them.

As far as money goes, it's pretty easy to sit here for me and say what he should and shoudn't do when nobody is knocking on my door offering me money for my skill set.

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
I don't know Tate's situation at all, but he was attending a Catholic HS in Chicago and now IMG. He's better off than 99% of HS athletes with that said in addition to his football talent.

What I do know is that plenty of guys who played ball at ND and received degrees hit rough patches after the fact. On and off the field. Chris Zorich plead guilty to tax evasion and was broke at one point. The guy is one of the poster men for Notre Dame and what it can do for people. The guy was my favorite player and even at 44 years old when I see him speak I feel like I'm 12 again. Zorich is as Notre Dame as they come in terms of his HS background, how he got to ND, where he went and where he is today. His journey was not perfect. Few ever are.

It's how you respond to the opportunites that are presented to you in life and how you handle the rough patches, whether you're 17 years old or 28 years old or 50. The older you get, you should be more adept at handling those rough patches but you have to take the opportunities that come your way when you're young. Success or failure, you LEARN from them.

As far as money goes, it's pretty easy to sit here for me and say what he should and shoudn't do when nobody is knocking on my door offering me money for my skill set.
What I wonder is if looking back on all this, we will see that NIL quick cash is a huge detriment to development for kids this young and underdeveloped. The data will be hard to sift through, but comparing those with big NIL deals to those without and who’s who in the NFL 10 years from now will be interesting. My bet is those with big NIL deals will crash and burn. I think it’s going to a disaster for the teams paying. At least in the NFL, most of the development has occurred as guys worked so hard to get that cash. Seems far easier to crash and burn at 17 than it does after 3-4 years at the college level, getting educated, and needing to play for your NFL team and earn your salary. We’ll see.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
What I wonder is if looking back on all this, we will see that NIL quick cash is a huge detriment to development for kids this young and underdeveloped. The data will be hard to sift through, but comparing those with big NIL deals to those without and who’s who in the NFL 10 years from now will be interesting. My bet is those with big NIL deals will crash and burn. I think it’s going to a disaster for the teams paying. At least in the NFL, most of the development has occurred as guys worked so hard to get that cash. We’ll see.

This is just the beginning. There are going to be adjustments, cautionary tales, successes, failures. I think Notre Dame can still be Notre Dame and make their mark within the new environment. Too many people have made too many excuses over the years. I don't see Marcus Freeman as an excuse maker.

There are a lot of recruits whose families need the dough now and they're going to try to get what they can. You are not guaranteed anything in life. People can do everything right and still fall short of their intended goals in life. Not everyone is lazy or waiting for a handout. Sometimes shit just happens and even doing all you can within what you can control, you end up standing under the elephant's ass. Some of these kids are going to be better equipped to manage the process than others. Depends on who they have around them.

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score
Types of kids who are maximizing their chance at life altering money?
Let me ask you this, you get offered a job by 3 companies.
Company 1 offers 100k a year.
Company 2 offers 150k
Company 3 offers 200k

You are absolutely going to company 3.
Same thing you do but these 5 star athletes have a higher demand because there aren't many like them.
Others have said it, but this is a bad analogy for a few reasons.

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
This is just the beginning. There are going to be adjustments, cautionary tales, successes, failures. I think Notre Dame can still be Notre Dame and make their mark within the new environment. Too many people have made too many excuses over the years. I don't see Marcus Freeman as an excuse maker.

There are a lot of recruits whose families need the dough now and they're going to try to get what they can. You are not guaranteed anything in life. People can do everything right and still fall short of their intended goals in life. Not everyone is lazy or waiting for a handout. Sometimes shit just happens and even doing all you can within what you can control, you end up standing under the elephant's ass. Some of these kids are going to be better equipped to manage the process than others. Depends on who they have around them.
Good points. I do know if I were a 5 star player and I got a cool mill, I’d probably not work as hard and say to hell with the NFL, party and think o was too cool for school. No $ and I’d have my eyes on the NFL to make sure I got something. I was a really dumb kid, though.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
What I wonder is if looking back on all this, we will see that NIL quick cash is a huge detriment to development for kids this young and underdeveloped. The data will be hard to sift through, but comparing those with big NIL deals to those without and who’s who in the NFL 10 years from now will be interesting. My bet is those with big NIL deals will crash and burn. I think it’s going to a disaster for the teams paying. At least in the NFL, most of the development has occurred as guys worked so hard to get that cash. Seems far easier to crash and burn at 17 than it does after 3-4 years at the college level, getting educated, and needing to play for your NFL team and earn your salary. We’ll see.
Mo money, mo problems, as the song goes.

Obviously a lot depends on the young man involved but yeah feels like a lot of these big upfront NIL deals we're seeing right now will prove to be a mistake. What'll be interesting to watch is how schools and their collectives, and players and their families, approach this as time goes on.
Personally I think Notre Dame's (stated) approach, of helping their established stars monetize their talents makes more sense than throwing big money at high school kids. At least you know what you're dealing with after a couple years on campus. But we shall see.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score

Same ole Jigga,… 😊

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Good points. I do know if I were a 5 star player and I got a cool mill, I’d probably not work as hard and say to hell with the NFL, party and think o was too cool for school. No $ and I’d have my eyes on the NFL to make sure I got something. I was a really dumb kid, though.

A lot of these kids are wired very differently than most. They want to compete and excel on the field. So many of them have already invested in expensive private coaching, gym time, etc.

It'll go both ways. Some of these kids will need the money, get it and once they have it their families will be better off and they will only have to focus on football and class. Those are the guys who are going to thrive in this environment. The Tate Martells and Spencer Rattlers have been around for decades and they won't go away, though. There will be great stories that come from this in addition to the cautionary tales.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Rumor on the OSU boards is he is going to take a visit there next weekend and commit... Would be yuuuuge for Rico.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
But wasn't OSU crying about not having enough NIL money just one week ago?
I think they were doing the opposite, trying to create an expectation in recruits/fans/boosters that they collect and distribute $13 million a year to their team.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
But wasn't OSU crying about not having enough NIL money just one week ago?
Quite the opposite...

It was a savvy move by Ryan Day to come right out with a big figure, knowing it would mobilize OSU's boosters and likely result in yearly windfalls greater than his 'request' of $13M/year

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
I think they were doing the opposite, trying to create an expectation in recruits/fans/boosters that they collect and distribute $13 million a year to their team.
Day is playing chess with his fans?
The dude could just play checkers with them, and still win.
Like robbing candy from a baby.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think this is chess or checkers. It's tic tac toe. Gib munny plz
parks-and-rec-monalisa.gif

Dale

Reaction score
Sounds like he’s gonna be a Buckeye in the end.

Kurelic CB, Loy upped his confidence, the On3 guy flipped his to OSU.

Would love to know if it was always, always OSU or if he actually was swayed by Tennessee for a bit.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
Sounds like he’s gonna be a Buckeye in the end.

Kurelic CB, Loy upped his confidence, the On3 guy flipped his to OSU.

Would love to know if it was always, always OSU or if he actually was swayed by Tennessee for a bit.
Maybe he was holding out for that 13mil....

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Wilson and Olave are going to be fresh in the minds of WR recruits.

I don't feel like ND has lost out on anything here.

Tommy has to let it rip this fall and put up the kind of numbers these kids want to see. Carr is the recruiting beacon now for these guys to see they'll have a triggerman to play with down the line.