'23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State Verbal)

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
I'm guessing Tennessee based upon his words and his body language. ND seems like a distant third.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
The fact that he said player development is a big part in the decision, then mentioned it when talking about Tennessee... yeah. I wonder if this pushes Rico to OSU.

irishandy

Reaction score
I cannot wait until he announces where is going to get his recruitment over with, would be shocked if he didn't end up at OSU, but it appears he is following the NIL.

These are the type of kids I would not want to write about if I worked for a recruiting site.

arahop

Reaction score
I cannot wait until he announces where is going to get his recruitment over with, would be shocked if he didn't end up at OSU, but it appears he is following the NIL.

These are the type of kids I would not want to write about if I worked for a recruiting site.
Types of kids who are maximizing their chance at life altering money?
Let me ask you this, you get offered a job by 3 companies.
Company 1 offers 100k a year.
Company 2 offers 150k
Company 3 offers 200k

You are absolutely going to company 3.
Same thing you do but these 5 star athletes have a higher demand because there aren't many like them.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
Company 2 offers 150k
Company 3 offers 200k

Same thing you do but these 5 star athletes have a higher demand because there aren't many like them.

I'm not sure this is a great analogy.

Theres a hell of a lot of reasons I might choose company 2 over 3. I'm sure you can think of a few.

Second, that analogy doesn't really work for what we're talking about... again... in a multitude of ways. We're talking about great athletes with varying socioeconomic situations. Its not the same at all.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Company 2 offers 150k
Company 3 offers 200k

Side note. Was thinking about $50,000 being "life altering money" (which it is, for some) and I found that IMG Academy costs basically $90,000 a year.

Yes they appear to have some financial aid and maybe they'll even free-ride (or close to it) a high-profile football star like Tate, as a marketing expense. But how on earth do people justify paying that much to send their kid to a sports-oriented boarding school just to boost their chances of winning a scholarship that will almost certainly be worth less than $90,000 a year?

ndfi78

Reaction score
My guess is that it is not the scholarship, but the prestige of being awarded a scholarship for the people that are paying full rate at IMG.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Side note. Was thinking about $50,000 being "life altering money" (which it is, for some) and I found that IMG Academy costs basically $90,000 a year.

Yes they appear to have some financial aid and maybe they'll even free-ride (or close to it) a high-profile football star like Tate, as a marketing expense. But how on earth do people justify paying that much to send their kid to a sports-oriented boarding school just to boost their chances of winning a scholarship that will almost certainly be worth less than $90,000 a year?
I don’t know, but I suspect IMG has some type trust fund set up that helps pay the cost.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
I don’t know, but I suspect IMG has some type trust fund set up that helps pay the cost.
For Tate, probably. But not for the suburban lax bro whose dad is a partner in a big time law firm with dreams of... a partial lacrosse scholarship? That's most of their students, it looks like. Though I guess for them it's about getting that recruited athlete bump in admissions.

They advertise in the elevator at my office building so I have time to ponder these things.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
Company 2 offers 150k
Company 3 offers 200k

This is wrong in many ways. I've given up higher salaries often because of a combination of factors: growth potential, entire compensation package (which could be equated with value of education), job requirements, etc.

Nothing is driven by a single variable but you did illustrate the short-sightedness of many of these kids.

Plus the difference between 100k-200k is vastly different from the 1mil - 2mil jump. Or the 2 mil to 4 mil jump. None of this is equal and it shouldn't be thought of the same.

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
Company 2 offers 150k
Company 3 offers 200k

Not necessarily.
Not all companies and jobs are created equal.

Company 3 might involve a lot more hours and stress than company 2 making the money pretty equal.
I was offered a 40% raise to jump ship to a competitor. After a lot of research I found out their infrastructure was very poor in comparison to where I was. The first couple of years until I "built" job 2 into job 1 was going to mean 60 hour weeks and A LOT of stress.
Fuck that. Money isn't everything especially if you're smart with what you have.

Making $150,000 working 45 hours a week is the same as $200,000 working 60.

Of course Notre Dame is where you will be making $100K and working 75 hours so disregard this argument.

arahop

Reaction score

Theres a hell of a lot of reasons I might choose company 2 over 3. I'm sure you can think of a few.

Second, that analogy doesn't really work for what we're talking about... again... in a multitude of ways. We're talking about great athletes with varying socioeconomic situations. Its not the same at a

Second, that analogy doesn't really work for what we're talking about... again... in a multitude of ways. We're talking about great athletes with varying socioeconomic situations. Its not the same at all.

This is wrong in many ways. I've given up higher salaries often because of a combination of factors: growth potential, entire compensation package (which could be equated with value of education), job requirements, etc.

Nothing is driven by a single variable but you did illustrate the short-sightedness of many of these kids.

Plus the difference between 100k-200k is vastly different from the 1mil - 2mil jump. Or the 2 mil to 4 mil jump. None of this is equal and it shouldn't be thought of the same.

Ok take less money for the same job. That's your decision. The job is football in the mind of a 5 star recruit.
50k per year is a huge interval between average employee such as everyone on here that doesn't own their own company.
I don't believe anyone on here that would go to the exact same role or career for 50% -100% less per year. Those are astronomical differences in salary.

For the 5 star recruit that will look like 500k 750k and 1mil to do the same job respectively.

Which are they going to choose a larger percentage of the time?

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Ok take less money for the same job. That's your decision. The job is football in the mind of a 5 star recruit.
50k per year is a huge interval between average employee such as everyone on here that doesn't own their own company.
I don't believe anyone on here that would go to the exact same role or career for 50% -100% less per year. Those are astronomical differences in salary.

For the 5 star recruit that will look like 500k 750k and 1mil to do the same job respectively.

Which are they going to choose a larger percentage of the time?
The other piece of this though: To these kids, college football is essentially an apprenticeship program for the NFL, where the difference between being, say, a first round draft pick and a UDFA is A LOT more than $50,000 a year.

Do you want to go to an apprenticeship program that's going to help you maximize your income at the REAL job in three or four years, or do you take a little more upfront and bet you'll be good enough to become a high draft pick regardless. I could see different kids answering that question different ways, but it's definitely not as simple as weighing two equal jobs where one pays 2x the other.

Domina Nostra

Reaction score
Not necessarily.
Not all companies and jobs are created equal.

Company 3 might involve a lot more hours and stress than company 2 making the money pretty equal.
I was offered a 40% raise to jump ship to a competitor. After a lot of research I found out their infrastructure was very poor in comparison to where I was. The first couple of years until I "built" job 2 into job 1 was going to mean 60 hour weeks and A LOT of stress.
Fuck that. Money isn't everything especially if you're smart with what you have.

Making $150,000 working 45 hours a week is the same as $200,000 working 60.

Of course Notre Dame is where you will be making $100K and working 75 hours so disregard this argument.

Haha! No matter how much or little you work $200k is $50k more than $150k.

ND88

Reaction score
He's going to Tenn
I will say this, and it’s not meant to be derogatory towards Tate. Some experiences in life can’t be substituted for money.

Everyone knows what Tennessee is doing and what they are about. That life will probably be of benefit for the quick and immediate flash, but ND will give you an experience that will challenge you to the core if you let it. It will expose your weaknesses quickly as a human being and then challenge you to overcome them and build up from the ashes. And this is just the day to day life part. Throw in a historic football program with a young, intelligent, and unique staff and team, the opportunity to build lifetime memories on that team level just can’t be bought.

Be careful, young man. Money is tremendous, but it isn’t everything. Tennessee is not about developing talent. They’re about buying you out, and will that truly give you more than the right now?