Brian Kelly to LSU, per report

Huntr

24 Karat Shamrock
Reaction score
Blaming players - as Kelly occasionally would when things went south - is not a great look for any coach. (Though, really, who among us was not frustrated as hell with Everett Golson in the latter half of 2014?)

But that’s not what people are talking about when they say Kelly didn’t “love” Notre Dame or made excuses rather than embrace “what makes Notre Dame Notre Dame.” I’m still curious for those examples.
Kinda glossing over him trying to use the job as a step to the NFL multiple times.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Did Kelly ever seem excited when he talked about Notre Dame? Compare him to Holtz, Freeman (at least initially), or even Chuck Weis pre-termination. The ND job was just business to Kelly. The ND job was a passion for the other 3.

There are no specific examples of Kelly saying "I'm pretty 'meh' about Notre Dame." But there's 10 years of him never showing any passion about the University the way the other 3 did. I honestly can't help you any more than that.

Kelly is the CFO that is brought in to "right" the ship, puts in the hours for the paycheck, and plays the long game to cash in on his equity. Period.
I'm told the real reason he left is you refused to introduce him to your mom.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
I directly heard Coach wax affectionately about Notre Dame a few times. These were when the topics and press involvements were not pressingly about "what-happened-in-the- ...etc" conferences. I saw two special documentary bits when he talked about his family and the foundation which were happy pure positive moments involving Notre Dame and the ND community. His letter to my Mother was all ND love-affair-like. (so was Holtz's --- they were twins.) I heard him, when the press pressure for him to diss things about the last game just played was not manifesting as press people do, say many happy smiling things about ND.

I've heard all manner of "real men" get pissed off after people screw up whatever the program is, and refuse to simply just goofily smile through it. I usually admire that --- there are times when a bit of disapproval needs handing out. ... or we could just keep throwing soft pillows under everybody else's ass in case they might bruise themselves. So ... we live in different universes.

How "happy" is it over there in the one you live in? Grass Irish greener?

ND88

Reaction score
The bottom line is 98% of anything you say about BK was true while he was at ND and almost no one was saying it then. It's only being discussed because of the way he left and his ongoing sideways comments.
Of course, much of the fanbase was loyal to him while he was ND’s coach, even if the dude was often irksome with certain aspects of his personality and leadership. But as the beaten dead horse it is, if he had left with more class and wasn’t sloppy with his comments, most would have just let the frustration go out of respect for the many things he did accomplish at ND. It would have been what it is to the rational: the winningest coach who did his best, but couldn’t quite make a title happen at ND and is going to try somewhere else. It’s possible to respect his accomplishments at ND while also shirking any former loyalty.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
All one needs to do is watch/listen to the latest episode of Inside the Garage and report back if they detect a difference.

MF brings up the special component of ND a few times. Tell me you've ever heard BK talk like that. MF sounds like a rabid fan who is in love.

Its also a quick way to realize why he's such a great recruiter. He's someone you not only want to hang out with, but makes you feel like he wants to hang out with you.

Theres a lot good about BK... but approachable and relatable? Not so much. Able to properly verbalize whats great about ND? Nope.

I watched that podcast and thought to myself... In what universe would BK ever be seen sitting down and just shooting the shit with his players in their own house... I couldn't imagine one.

Last edited:

BrownerandFry

Reaction score
Times change, kids change, coaches change.

Ara, the coach who I love the most, used to kick Dushney in the ass at pracitice and his modus operandi with recruits................

It was different then.

and it is always different

Freeman is simply next generation

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
All one needs to do is watch/listen to the latest episode of Inside the Garage and report back if they detect a difference.

MF brings up the special component of ND a few times. Tell me you've ever heard BK talk like that. MF sounds like a rabid fan who is in love.

Its also a quick way to realize why he's such a great recruiter. He's someone you not only want to hang out with, but makes you feel like he wants to hang out with you.

Theres a lot good about BK... but approachable and relatable? Not so much. Able to properly verbalize whats great about ND? Nope.

I watched that podcast and thought to myself... In what universe would BK ever be seen sitting down and just shooting the shit with his players in their own house... I couldn't imagine one.
“Y’all have a happy Easter with your faymulies?”

Redbar

Reaction score
Times change, kids change, coaches change.

Ara, the coach who I love the most, used to kick Dushney in the ass at pracitice and his modus operandi with recruits................

It was different then.

and it is always different

Freeman is simply next generation
Are was the GOAT!

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
Of course, much of the fanbase was loyal to him while he was ND’s coach, even if the dude was often irksome with certain aspects of his personality and leadership. But as the beaten dead horse it is, if he had left with more class and wasn’t sloppy with his comments, most would have just let the frustration go out of respect for the many things he did accomplish at ND. It would have been what it is to the rational: the winningest coach who did his best, but couldn’t quite make a title happen at ND and is going to try somewhere else. It’s possible to respect his accomplishments at ND while also shirking any former loyalty.
The speculation I found most interesting was when BK chose to walk the stairs when leaving the room where he said goodbye to the players. Most thought he’d take an easier exit route and the only reason they thought he took the route he did was that he was expecting an ovation from his players. Instead…it was silence.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
BK's daughter graduating from ND this week so he's probably gonna be on campus lol

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
BK's daughter graduating from ND this week so he's probably gonna be on campus lol
The rational thinking part of me thinks he will lay low... but my BK radar is telling me he will come back expecting to be asked to speak to the graduating class with a speech prepared in advance.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
The rational thinking part of me thinks he will lay low... but my BK radar is telling me he will come back expecting to be asked to speak to the graduating class with a speech prepared in advance.
He is absolutely going to be expecting some fanfare, handshakes, and maybe even some light applause at some point.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
Commencement speaker surely

BoredIrish

Reaction score
I was (am) a Kelly fan. I wasn't ready for him to leave but he made that decision so here we are. One of the things that has stood out to me is the way he and MF approach the "shopping down a different aisle" routine. I always felt that BK used that as an excuse for not recruiting certain players and not having as good of a roster as the football elite. MF on the other hand uses this same ideal of "shopping down a different aisle" as a positive for how special ND is and that the elite players in the country should want to be a part of the ND family.

To play devils advocate, if all of MF's 5 stars turn out to be Aaron Lynch types and leave the program after one semester wouldnt that vindicate BK's approach?

I think its still too early to make any judgements on MF.