Brian Kelly to LSU, per report

Polish Leppy 22

Reaction score
To each their own. Many of us were long time BK defenders. I'm not mad that he left, I'm mad at how he left.

Besides, most of what's being said here is being said in jest. It should go without saying that we all hope the commencement ceremony is all about the students and their accomplishments (which it 100% will be). It's not a crime to have a sense of humor about the situation. The irony of him returning to campus so soon is palpable. It shouldn't be taboo to have a lough about it....good Lord.

Obviously he took this program to a level it hasn't seen since Lou. No one here is denying that, and we certainly don't need it mansplained.

He left for another job in the middle of a playoff push.

Lou effing Fickell stayed at Cincinnati during the same couching carousel, for crying out loud. Think about that.
I'm not devastated that BK left for LSU, and the circumstances were entirely different for him than what Fickell has going at Cinci. Kelly was here 12 years and (right or wrong) thought he had taken ND as far as it could go. He wants a natty before he retires and he's 60.

Fickell is in his 40's, still his first HC job, has Cinci rolling, and they're joining the Big 12 soon which means more money for him and a wide open conference with Oklahoma and Texas going to the SEC.

Two very different scenarios for two coaches at two different periods of their careers.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
To each their own. Many of us were long time BK defenders. I'm not mad that he left, I'm mad at how he left.

Besides, most of what's being said here is being said in jest.
It should go without saying that we all hope the commencement ceremony is all about the students and their accomplishments (which it 100% will be). It's not a crime to have a sense of humor about the situation. The irony of him returning to campus so soon is palpable. It shouldn't be taboo to have a lough about it....good Lord.

Obviously he took this program to a level it hasn't seen since Lou. No one here is denying that, and we certainly don't need it mansplained.

He left for another job in the middle of a playoff push.

Lou effing Fickell stayed at Cincinnati during the same couching carousel, for crying out loud. Think about that.
I couldn't have said it better.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin'
Reaction score
I'm not devastated that BK left for LSU, and the circumstances were entirely different for him than what Fickell has going at Cinci. Kelly was here 12 years and (right or wrong) thought he had taken ND as far as it could go. He wants a natty before he retires and he's 60.

Fickell is in his 40's, still his first HC job, has Cinci rolling, and they're joining the Big 12 soon which means more money for him and a wide open conference with Oklahoma and Texas going to the SEC.

Two very different scenarios for two coaches at two different periods of their careers.
I feel like we are splitting hairs with this one, but I don't think the situations are much different at all.

As @ulukinatme pointed out, no one has ever left ND on their own accord, as if there are "better jobs" out there. I understand that you think he did all he could do here, but he chased the bag in the middle of a playoff push.

I really don't think the Big 12 is that much different from the AAC at this point, considering UT and OU are bolting from the conference. One could make the argument that the AAC is the more competitive conference top to bottom. Are Iowa St, Oklahoma St and Baylor really going to carry that conference? Adding Cincy and BYU going to push them over the edge? No. I predict the Big 12 will be absorbed entirely in the next decade.

So Cincy, with or without the mighty Big12, is a better opportunity than USC? OU? Florida? Miami? Oregon? ND (before we finalized Freeman)? LSU? (before they finalized with BK)

I respect your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it, but I'm just not sure I agree with you here.

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
What if BK shows up for his daughter's graduation and breaks out into that super cool, not awkward at all, booty bump recruiting dance? Everything's forgiven and you fall in love with him all over again.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin'
Reaction score
What if BK shows up for his daughter's graduation and breaks out into that super cool, not awkward at all, booty bump recruiting dance? Everything's forgiven and you fall in love with him all over again.
Don't even joke about it, it's all about the kids and this is a classy University. Show a little decorum around here

What Brian Kelly thinks he looks like:

What Brian Kelly actually looks like:

Last edited:

IrishTusker

Reaction score
I don't have a huge problem with "how" he left. There isn't an easy way to do it. I felt like the program needed a change, anyway.

And it goes without saying that everyone should be nice to him if they see him around campus. (I have to say, I doubt that families here for graduation would be rude. Fans at a game are maybe a different story.)

HouseofPain

Reaction score
Could care less about his coming to campus for his daughter's no doubt university paid for education. I just hope he doesnt get screen time by someone trying to stir up drama. He needs to be just another dad seeing his kid graduate. No more, no less.

Rack Em

Community Bod
Reaction score
I don't have a huge problem with "how" he left. There isn't an easy way to do it. I felt like the program needed a change, anyway.

And it goes without saying that everyone should be nice to him if they see him around campus. (I have to say, I doubt that families here for graduation would be rude. Fans at a game are maybe a different story.)

If I saw Kelly on campus:

giphy.gif

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Could care less about his coming to campus for his daughter's no doubt university paid for education. I just hope he doesnt get screen time by someone trying to stir up drama. He needs to be just another dad seeing his kid graduate. No more, no less.
If he's coming, it will be handled quietly. He'll have a secluded spot from which to observe.

Question for anyone and I know he won't do either, but what would be more controversial? Kelly showing up wearing a suit with an ND tie to honor his daughter or wearing a suit with an LSU tie? :unsure:

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
If he's coming, it will be handled quietly. He'll have a secluded spot from which to observe.

Question for anyone and I know he won't do either, but what would be more controversial? Kelly showing up wearing a suit with an ND tie to honor his daughter or wearing a suit with an LSU tie? :unsure:
Half and Half. Brady Quinn's Sister style.

Plankton

Reaction score

He'll come repping a Cincinnati tie being that they made the playoff.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Don't even joke about it, it's all about the kids and this is a classy University. Show a little decorum around here

What Brian Kelly thinks he looks like:

What Brian Kelly actually looks like:

This is the 2nd Austin Powers reference I've encountered today, and I love it.

robin-williams.gif

arahop

Reaction score
To play devils advocate, if all of MF's 5 stars turn out to be Aaron Lynch types and leave the program after one semester wouldnt that vindicate BK's approach?

I think its still too early to make any judgements on MF.
I think that Freeman genuinely cares about these kids and that will make the difference in their success. He is responsible for closing out the #6 class last year and will be top #5 this year.
Marcus Freeman is a superior recruiter and he's done it in less than a calendar year.

"It's about Jimmy's and Joe's, not X's and O's"

texbender

Reaction score
The rational thinking part of me thinks he will lay low... but my BK radar is telling me he will come back expecting to be asked to speak to the graduating class with a speech prepared in advance.
Will attendees be able to decipher the deep south accent?