'22 IN OL Joey Tanona (Notre Dame Signee)

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
I was really excited when rumors were that he was back at it and not going to have to medically retire. I will be very upset for Joey if that one accident leads to the end of his football career.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Awful. Very glad that he'll be able to get his degree. They still honor the scholarship, right?

InKellyWeTrust

Reaction score
Sorry for Joey. Life is full of many opportunities outside of football. Wish him the best.

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
How do these medical retirements work as far as scholarships are concerned? I imagine the academics are covered still, but is he on scholarship (taking a scholarship from someone else) as long as he's still enrolled and getting school paid for?

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
How do these medical retirements work as far as scholarships are concerned? I imagine the academics are covered still, but is he on scholarship (taking a scholarship from someone else) as long as he's still enrolled and getting school paid for?
No. No one is losing a scholarship opportunity due to this.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
We've seen medical retirements come back down the line, usually at different schools. Most notable one of these is Jaelan Phillips (former #1 overall recruit). He had a slew of injuries and was hit by a car. Medically retired. Transferred to Miami, and still became a first round pick.

I guess my point is I hope Joey gets better, and while it may look bleak, this may not be the end of his journey.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
We've seen medical retirements come back down the line, usually at different schools. Most notable one of these is Jaelan Phillips (former #1 overall recruit). He had a slew of injuries and was hit by a car. Medically retired. Transferred to Miami, and still became a first round pick.

I guess my point is I hope Joey gets better, and while it may look bleak, this may not be the end of his journey.
yeah say his prognosis is no football for 2 years ND couldn't just have him there taking a spot on the 85 waiting for him I'd say. He should work on his undergrad and then perhaps explore grad transfer options down the line if he feels like it

Last edited:

NDohio

Reaction score

I thought it was interesting that Freeman added the caveat that his playing days here (ND) are over. Kinda left the door open for him to work on getting back healthy and playing somewhere else.

SouthSideChiDomer

Reaction score
He is still on the same scholarship he was on before, but he doesn't count towards the 85 man limit.

stpeteirish

Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that Freeman added the caveat that his playing days here (ND) are over. Kinda left the door open for him to work on getting back healthy and playing somewhere else.
Yes that's now the Medical Scholarships work. They are irrevocable at the school you use them at but not anywhere else. So if he decides after a few years to give it a go he has to transfer, or play at ND as a walk on.

David Adams did this a few years ago. He went to a lowere category school, forget which one. Never heard anything about how it went.

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
That's why you choose the Irish.
Most schools would honor a year, but how many would honor four years?

irishff1014

Reaction score
Never like to see this. Hope he gets his degree and does very well for himself.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Or getting him into coaching at nd

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Best wishes for Joey and hopefully he uses this time wisely to focus on what’s next. As far as football goes, him and Schrauth were my two favorite from last class so big bummer on that front. Though it looks like OL recruiting will keep the train rolling.

Irish2155

Reaction score
Hate this for the kid. I don’t care if he was ND bound or St. Francis. Just a sad situation. I couldn’t even fathom.

Luckily, as others have noted, that ND degree is more fruitful than most and I’ll be rooting for Big Joey.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
That's why you choose the Irish.
Most schools would honor a year, but how many would honor four years?

I think most schools are pretty good about it. Nobody wants that bad press, do they?

Not sure, but I know I've read a lot of gray shirt SEC stories in the past where they force injured players out.
Yes, most schools honor the medical scholarship for the remainder of the 4 years. Just as Jimmy alluded to, the medical scholarship has been notoriously abused by many SEC schools in the past.

Many kids were “forced” to take medical scholarships because their post-injury performance meant that they were unlikely to break into the two deep. They concoct and contort a medical reason that meant they had to go on to medical scholarship. It was a way to get a kid off scholarship and open up a spot. Many of the kids were still perfectly able to play football, just not at an acceptable level for the coach.

Put them on medical scholarship——— PR problem averted.

22 Football Signees