'22 IN OL Joey Tanona (Notre Dame Signee)

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Anyone know how tanona played against valpo?

I'm guessing he was matched up against IU commit Cooper Jones so I'm curious how that played out.

Irish2155

Reaction score
Once again, Cathedral's the #2 team in the state and they are playing with non 6A schools. If I'm their AD, I'd never accept getting moved down. It's 6A or bust.

They wouldn’t win anymore state titles in 6A - have already tried. That’s why they prefer to stay down a class.

ResLife Hero

Reaction score
Fong said 247 might reclassify him as #1 C in the country but due for a bump regardless

How do they project guys to center? Are any of these top flight dudes actually inside snapping at their HS?

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a lot of cases I think it’s projection because very rarely do these OL play C because they are the best OL on their team.

But, I believe Tanona played C this past season. I can’t watch his highlights right now so maybe someone can confirm that.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
In a lot of cases I think it’s projection because very rarely do these OL play C because they are the best OL on their team.

But, I believe Tanona played C this past season. I can’t watch his highlights right now so maybe someone can confirm that.

Yes he did.

What Wiltfong meant is when he gets re-classified to OC, he'd be the #1 OC cuz he's currently 300 spots ahead of the highest rated center in '22.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
#32 on the initial On3 2022 Rankings. That would make him the last 5 star if he were to finish there.

Nice.

Reaper97

Reaction score
#32 on the initial On3 2022 Rankings. That would make him the last 5 star if he were to finish there.

Nice.

They don’t have CJ Williams or Jr even as 4 Stars.
So a borderline 5 Star WR & a top 5 ILB in the country are 3 Stars on their site?

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Premium link from Sinclair. Breaks down Tanona and Burnham’s first game highlights.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ona-169437094/

Im posting here because it’s notable that Tanona is back out at LT. Big fan of that move as I think he’s a better athlete than playing C suggests and this lets him showcase that more. Now, if C is ultimately where Quinn decides he should be, fine. But with them taking Craig, I’m hopeful they have other ideas for him. Just my 2 cents.

Islandboi

Reaction score
I don't follow recruiting as most of you do. My question is. HH brought in and coached up really good talent. Is Quinn at least on the same level?

ND4LIFE

Reaction score
I don't follow recruiting as most of you do. My question is. HH brought in and coached up really good talent. Is Quinn at least on the same level?

I truly believe we will have to wait and see what he does with the talent on this team. It is obvious that he has the ability to land high level prospects as a recruiter but, can he turn them into a cohesive line? 2021 should be a preview of that in my opinion. If I am not mistaken the only o-line recruit left from the HH era is J. Lugg with Madden of course being a transfer. Some of the gentleman that understand true X's and O's can probably talk on his coaching abilities better than this ND fanboy can do!

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I truly believe we will have to wait and see what he does with the talent on this team. It is obvious that he has the ability to land high level prospects as a recruiter but, can he turn them into a cohesive line? 2021 should be a preview of that in my opinion. If I am not mistaken the only o-line recruit left from the HH era is J. Lugg with Madden of course being a transfer. Some of the gentleman that understand true X's and O's can probably talk on his coaching abilities better than this ND fanboy can do!

IMO Quinn is a better recruiter, but Harry was a better coach.

Trait Expectations

Reaction score

TBD. But Quinn's last class has him trending in a very strong direction. I believe we have 3 - 3 year starters from that class alone. And that doesn't include what the other two guys (C. Johnson and Coogan) ultimately become. This class has some solid depth pieces and it'd be nice to land one more. Carmody is getting good reviews but he shouldn't be playing yet, he needs another year in the cooker. I guess the same goes for Tosh Baker. Can we get something from the 2019 class, either Kristofic or Carroll?

I think the 2021 class patched some serious holes for Quinn. The 2018 and 2019 class produced very little return but 2020/2021 might bridge the gap because his "hit rate" appears higher than average.

Full disclosure: I'm super high on Alt, and i believe he'll be the 3rd of the 3 year starters from the 21 class: Fisher, Spindler, Alt.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JoeyTanona/status/1346270416562761728[/TWEET]

knight2017

Reaction score
#29 overall in the nation according to the latest On3 rankings. #2 IOL and #5 overall OL.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Matt Freeman with some backstory here on HH's comments to the media today about Joey. Apparently, him and his sister were involved in a very bad car accident prior to Spring Practice which is where the concussion stems from. They were T-boned on the side of the car that Tanona was sitting on and he's lucky to be alive, is the feeling. It sounds like there are also some lingering issues like his hearing that are still impacting him.

Hopefully he gets better soon and can get back to kicking butt on the field.

Last edited:

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
TBD. But Quinn's last class has him trending in a very strong direction. I believe we have 3 - 3 year starters from that class alone. And that doesn't include what the other two guys (C. Johnson and Coogan) ultimately become. This class has some solid depth pieces and it'd be nice to land one more. Carmody is getting good reviews but he shouldn't be playing yet, he needs another year in the cooker. I guess the same goes for Tosh Baker. Can we get something from the 2019 class, either Kristofic or Carroll?

I think the 2021 class patched some serious holes for Quinn. The 2018 and 2019 class produced very little return but 2020/2021 might bridge the gap because his "hit rate" appears higher than average.

Full disclosure: I'm super high on Alt, and i believe he'll be the 3rd of the 3 year starters from the 21 class: Fisher, Spindler, Alt.

This was a good call on Alt. Jury is still out on Spindler, but obviously it's rare to have freshmen start on OL to begin with so he has plenty of time.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
so on ISD podcast they more or less eluded that Joey may never play football again

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
This was a distinct possibility as soon as news of the accident made it to us.

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
so on ISD podcast they more or less eluded that Joey may never play football again
I tried to bring up that this could be a real possibility. Absolutely awful.

Kid experienced potentially life altering brain trauma.

22 Football Signees