'22 IN OL Joey Tanona (Notre Dame Signee)

Reaper97

Reaction score
I still don’t understand the situation?
His sister was driving him to practice & he was sleeping? Why was his sister in South Bend? Why was she driving him? Why was he asleep?
The backstory is odd. It doesn’t matter in the long run, I just don’t get the situation.

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
His sister was driving him to practice & he was sleeping? Why was his sister in South Bend? Why was she driving him? Why was he asleep?
The backstory is odd. It doesn’t matter in the long run, I just don’t get the situation.
I read that she was taking him to an early morning practice and he was asleep with the seat in the reclined position. Another driver either ran a stop light or stop sign and hit their car on Joey’s side. The fact that he was asleep worked in his favor since he wasn’t tensed up when the accident occurred.

GowerND11

Reaction score
Family bought a house in South Bend. Not really sure how it's so odd of a situation. My first thought was either:
A, His sister is a student at ND
B, Family, like many others, bought a house near campus after he signed and were there visiting/whatever.

Redbar

Reaction score
Wish the Tanona’s the very best in these difficult circumstances. My heart breaks for Joey andl his sister.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
the-office-michael-scott.gif

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
I don’t understand why it matters. Seems like you think there is some sort of cover up. Things aren’t always a conspiracy.

Reaper97

Reaction score
First…I didn’t know the family bought a house in South Bend, that’s literally why I was asking. No conspiracy theory, I actually was curious because (see #2)…
Second, I knew Joey at Zionsville. One of my friends is the resource officer there. He was a huge fan of Joey & talked about how nice & polite Joey was, always a “yes sir, no sir” kid, regardless of being a big time national recruit. He introduced me to him his Sophomore year in HS.

People on this board get way too sensitive way too fast. If you post on other boards you know me & probably get along with me, I’m under a different name here then there. I will post the same exact things on other boards & people will discuss it. Here a lot of you freak out and attack me.
I’m actually considered one of the “sunshine pumpers” on the other boards.
If you are in the Indy area you probably know me too. You are welcome to come have a beer with me & talk ND.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
First…I didn’t know the family bought a house in South Bend, that’s literally why I was asking. No conspiracy theory, I actually was curious because (see #2)…
Second, I knew Joey at Zionsville. One of my friends is the resource officer there. He was a huge fan of Joey & talked about how nice & polite Joey was, always a “yes sir, no sir” kid, regardless of being a big time national recruit. He introduced me to him his Sophomore year in HS.

People on this board get way too sensitive way too fast. If you post on other boards you know me & probably get along with me, I’m under a different name here then there. I will post the same exact things on other boards & people will discuss it. Here a lot of you freak out and attack me.
If you are in the Indy area you probably know me too. You are welcome to come have a beer with me & talk ND.
I think it's how you posted it that stirred the pot. Tragic for the entire family. Prayers for a full recovery.

IrishMoore1

Reaction score
Is there any more information about his status? From what I could find, he was not even enrolled in spring semester due to the accident.

ND88

Reaction score

The thing I appreciate about IE is the low threshold for disrespect, veiled or overt, of student athletes. In the case of Joey, the sentiment attached to how people feel about what happened to him goes without saying explicitly, which puts the onus on posters to honor that. If your questions were in fact earnest, and you had stated in your initial post what you did later on in the aftermath of negative reactions, it would have assured any misunderstanding to begin with. Nearly everyone has been there at one time or another with posts that lack clarity. I know I have. With that said, it’s good to just learn from it and try to be clearer with the messaging moving forward. Peace.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score

I dont like to pile on, but this is different.

You are an unbelievable shitbag for that post.

Your "I knew a guy who knew him once and he's a good guy so..." post just makes it worse.

You should take a time out from posting.

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
I hope that he can go on to recover fully, get his education, and have a successful post-grad career/experience. If he can ever get back to being on the field, that's gravy. I pray that he is able to enjoy the college experience and prosper from what Notre Dame has to offer. Horrible for the kid and his family that he is going through this, but here's hoping for a great outcome.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
The "practices" that aren't Practices. When I was teaching at WMU, I used to go down to the gym to watch the basketball summer "practices which were not practices." I knew the head coach. I'd talk with him "in the doorway" to the gym space, so "he wasn't in the room." :)

Reaper97

Reaction score
I know they lift weights, do cardio, maybe even run some routes & stuff.
But actual contact isn’t allowed, correct?
And that’s what really matters for Tanona, contact.
He can lift weights & do conditioning with a brain injury in recovery. But the question will be can he actually hit his head anymore?

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
The "practices" that aren't Practices. When I was teaching at WMU, I used to go down to the gym to watch the basketball summer "practices which were not practices." I knew the head coach. I'd talk with him "in the doorway" to the gym space, so "he wasn't in the room." :)

If you don't mind me asking, which coach are you referring to?

I was recruited by 3 former WMU coaches: Bob Donewald when he was at Illinois St. Vern Payne when he was the HC at WMU and Les Wothke when he was at Army. Payne and Wothke are from LaPorte Co. IN where I grew up. Wothke later moved to Valpo for HS, where I graduated from. (VU).

Eldon Miller was the HC at Northern Iowa while I was playing at VU. Two of his players at the time were Tom McDermott, HC at Creighton and Nick Nurse, HC of the Raptors.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Vern Payne. He allowed me and an older friend named John Markan to join practices.

I've forgotten just now how John and Vern met one another, but Vern liked John and realized that the old man really enjoyed WMU basketball in his health-failing years, and so he happily included John and I in the practice environment. Vern Payne was a really nice fellow who didn't morph into some inhuman whacko just because he was a head coach.

BTW I didn't like Donewald so much, because I thought that he was pretty insensitive to players during the games, benching them at very awkward public moments for minor errors. I remember a former WMU player shouting at him "COACH! You're tearing his heart out!!!", and you could hear it all over the fieldhouse.

I'm drawing a blank on Wothke. But I remember playing pick-up ball vs Eldon Miller --- solid discipline but easy to stop. His main assistant --- @#&# I'm forgetting his name (later became WMUs coach himself) --- was a roughneck to play against. You got bruises just in pick-up games. Good times for an amateur like myself.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
According to someone on another board he’s back practicing.
Hell yeah. Even if he winds up being a benchwarmer I was scared he wasn't even going to get to go to ND. Just getting to use your scholarship and get the free ride is amazing compared to the worst we all feared.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
Vern Payne. He allowed me and an older friend named John Markan to join practices.

I've forgotten just now how John and Vern met one another, but Vern liked John and realized that the old man really enjoyed WMU basketball in his health-failing years, and so he happily included John and I in the practice environment. Vern Payne was a really nice fellow who didn't morph into some inhuman whacko just because he was a head coach.

BTW I didn't like Donewald so much, because I thought that he was pretty insensitive to players during the games, benching them at very awkward public moments for minor errors. I remember a former WMU player shouting at him "COACH! You're tearing his heart out!!!", and you could hear it all over the fieldhouse.

I'm drawing a blank on Wothke. But I remember playing pick-up ball vs Eldon Miller --- solid discipline but easy to stop. His main assistant --- @#&# I'm forgetting his name (later became WMUs coach himself) --- was a roughneck to play against. You got bruises just in pick-up games. Good times for an amateur like myself.
Wothke was right before Coach Payne. He left WMU to take over for Coach K at Army and Vern left Wayne State to become the Bronco's HC.

The coach you are thinking of is Dick Shilts. He played for Miller at Wittenberg and was an assistant under Miller at WMU before becoming HC when Miller went to Ohio State. After WMU he was the HC and AD at KVCC for 30+ years.

And yes, Coach Donewald was just like his mentor, Bobby Knight in that regard.

Coach Payne is a great guy. Put in a lifetime of work at WMU. I played with/against a LOT of his family. He and two of his cousins (Delray Brooks & Hoppy Gibson) from Michigan City played at Indiana and all wore #23. The guy who wore #23 before Vern was Al Harden... the man who signed Dr. J, Bird & Magic to Converse in the company's glory days of the early 80's. He also lived in Valpo when I was in college.

Last edited:

22 Football Signees