'19 KY DT Jacob Lacey (Notre Dame Signee)

Dale

Reaction score
Respect to Lacey as he always seemed to compete but knock on wood, this seems incredibly short sighted similar to Lawrence Keys. He’s an injury away from starting.

I would guess Mills experiment at SDE didn’t quite work as planned so they plan to use him at DT more is why this came about.

NDMatt91

Reaction score
Respect to Lacey as he always seemed to compete but knock on wood, this seems incredibly short sighted similar to Lawrence Keys. He’s an injury away from starting.

I would guess Mills experiment at SDE didn’t quite work as planned so they plan to use him at DT more is why this came about.
He also has a COVID year next season and with Jayson A gone he'd have a chance to be the full-time starter.

Irish4life

Reaction score
I mean, I guess it makes some sense. Outside of the Cal game this year he's basically been a non-factor.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
The show goes on. Assuming he'll be able to finish his degree this semester. I'll throw in a CB for Louisville since they're throwing around cash and it's close to home.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, this is pretty surprising from the perspective that I felt the whole Lacey family was all-in with ND.

However, when you play the way he did against Cal and they put you on the field for 9 snaps the next week, this is what can happen. Great young man from a great family. He needed to play more.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
The show goes on. Assuming he'll be able to finish his degree this semester. I'll throw in a CB for Louisville since they're throwing around cash and it's close to home.

He's already got his degree, so he'd be a grad transfer with two years of eligibility. Louisville would make a lot of sense... as would Cincinnati. #GoBearcats

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
Simply underutilized. Sad to see him go as he has done nothing but represent the Irish well.

Injuries kept him off the field early and allowed players to cement spots ahead of him which is why his moments playing have been few and far between. He feels he has a shot at playing at the next level most likely and I am not sure he is wrong. I wish him luck and I am upset that we couldn't figure out a time share at the position that would have worked out.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
If reps are hard to come by, I understand his decision. Bodies for next year on the interior are going to be high - Keaanaina returning from injury, and Rubio's emergence. Add in Onye, Ford (if he doesn't move outside), and with Howard Cross returning as a graduate.

I'd love to see Mills' snap count, showing what percentage of his overall snaps came playing on the inside. However, he does seem more effective overall as a inside player. Maybe that could be in the future plans - him playing inside in a four man front.

There was still a role for Lacey on this team, but perhaps it just would have been limited. And I can understand him wishing to save a year of eligibility. He opens a spot for younger players and he can explore new opportunities for playing time and potentially reach the NFL.

Just have to say, Lacey fought off a lot of adversity with injuries the past two seasons, as well as the health of a close family remember. His determination and strength will lead him somewhere great in his life.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
kinda funny alright now Lacey is leaving and Franklin is ballin for Duke now

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
I'm happy for Lacey. I hate that we are losing him but if he wasn't getting enough snaps this year, it makes sense for him to move on. As long as he doesn't end up playing for a hated team, I'll root hard for Lacey. He battled adversity, I'd love to see him earn some time in the league after another season or two with starter reps.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
He also has a COVID year next season and with Jayson A gone he'd have a chance to be the full-time starter.
I think his chances to start next year were minuscule honestly.

With NaNa emerging, there's a very real likelihood that Mills is going to return to 3T fulltime in '23, which is where he plays best. Not to mention, you have Cross, who can play either spot very well. Add in Rubio emerging and Big Kahuna back from injury. Plus you had Vernon and Houstan coming in.

I don't see Lacey's avenue to more PT that much better next year.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
It appears to me that he saw much of the same thing on depth and playing time that everyone has mentioned. Assuming he has aspirations of at least getting a shot at the NFL (who doesn't?) it makes sense to go where he'll get more reps.

Best of luck to the young man.

AlaskanIrish

. . . a little stitious.
Reaction score
Man, tough loss. Really like him as a player, and he seems to be a great person with a great family.

As MMFF said, he's leaving with an ND Degree in hand, and we'll be fine (hopefully) on the IDL.

Very best of luck, Jacob! Will be rooting for you!

Dale

Reaction score
I'd love to see Mills' snap count, showing what percentage of his overall snaps came playing on the inside.

Total: A - B - Over the Tackle - Outside the Tackle

140: 4 - 52 - 22 - 62

It was this vs just UNC though:

31: 4 - 20 - 2 - 5

Cal & OSU almost all DE. Marshall & UNC almost all DT to put it in simple terms .

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where ends up. He has not played that much, and production does not jump out for that same reason, but he's a true plug and play guy.

Curious if Clark Lea gives him a call...

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
I think his chances to start next year were minuscule honestly.

With NaNa emerging, there's a very real likelihood that Mills is going to return to 3T fulltime in '23, which is where he plays best. Not to mention, you have Cross, who can play either spot very well. Add in Rubio emerging and Big Kahuna back from injury. Plus you had Vernon and Houstan coming in.

I don't see Lacey's avenue to more PT that much better next year.
Is NaNa good enough to secure a full time starting role in the mold of MTA, Ogundeji, or Kareem? Like he’s a solid rotation player but it seems at the moment he trails all three in both athleticism and size.

irishff1014

Reaction score
He was one of the biggest reasons we won against Cal. So then he gets next to no playing time against UNC.

Morrison earns reps by playing well but Lacey isn’t afforded the same opportunity. I don’t under this. Something had to happen after UNC that isn’t being told.