What video game are you playing?

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Got a Steam Deck. Having my steam library available on the couch while my wife watches tv is a gamechanger. Going to make this thing an emulation powerhouse.
I've heard good things from my buddy that has one too. I was skeptical at first being a handheld. The last time he tried to do PC gaming he bought a potato of a computer, basically one of those compact deals that small businesses use for point of sale systems, I'm talking weak onboard video cards and everything. For what he spent on that thing I told him I could build him a decent gaming rig that far outperforms his tiny desktop and he said "I don't want something big, I don't have room." Nevermind the fact he's a business owner with two houses, a storefront, and a small warehouse storage.

In any case, he's been playing the Fallout games on it so far and says the Steam Deck is holding up really well. Only complaint is the battery life he said, but if you're plugged in that's obviously not an issue. He hasn't tried running any new AAA titles or anything, but he's been impressed so far. Says it works much better than the potato computer anyway :laugh:

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
My daughter decided to try the trombone for band this year. She picked it because, in her words "It didn't have any buttons or anything so it's easier." :laugh: Now I'm wondering if this "Trombone Hero" is any good at actually teaching kids the instrument. By the looks of it I'm thinking no.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
My daughter decided to try the trombone for band this year. She picked it because, in her words "It didn't have any buttons or anything so it's easier." :laugh: Now I'm wondering if this "Trombone Hero" is any good at actually teaching kids the instrument. By the looks of it I'm thinking no.
Get it right is Trombone Champ! :D

I showed the tweets to my wife who plays in a local community orchestra and she didn't think it was cool SMH :(

Spurt Reynolds

I am the second coming of NDOM!
Reaction score
God I hope I don't get blasted for this but I'm old.....I have been playing Stardew Valley for PS5.

It's a total chill game as I can't play those fast paced sniper/shooter games. By the time I land on the ground someone shoots me in the head.

I can get home and smoke a fat Doobie and do a little farming or mining instead of worrying about how quick I'm going to die playing Modern Warfare or some shit. 🤣

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
God I hope I don't get blasted for this but I'm old.....I have been playing Stardew Valley for PS5.

It's a total chill game as I can't play those fast paced sniper/shooter games. By the time I land on the ground someone shoots me in the head.

I can get home and smoke a fat Doobie and do a little farming or mining instead of worrying about how quick I'm going to die playing Modern Warfare or some shit. 🤣

This thread is a safe place for your gaming-related content. Feel welcome and at ease...

Unless you talk about Assassin's Creed too much. Then they get after you.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score

I would throw the book at you but admittedly i have purchased and enjoyed playing Medieval Dynasty which isn't much removed from your turnip harvesting exploits

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Is there a reason to buy the disc drive PS5 console versus saving the money and sticking with the digital one? If I already have a Blu-ray player, why do I need to have the disc drive version? Am I missing something?

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
More like AssASSin's Creed

giphy.gif

GowerND11

Reaction score
Is there a reason to buy the disc drive PS5 console versus saving the money and sticking with the digital one? If I already have a Blu-ray player, why do I need to have the disc drive version? Am I missing something?
I got the disc drive because that was the option still available online on Best Buy the day I ordered. I was really thinking I just want the digital only, but whatevs. I don't have a Blu-ray outside my consoles, so it does work out for me to have the disc one now. I haven't bought a physical copy of a game now in 6 years or so.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Thanks, Yea I'm leaning digital but I agree, beggars can't be choosers.

Do the digital versions of games through the subscriptions, etc "sell out?" I started looking for some games that I wanted and of course, I can't find those hard copies either.

Spurt Reynolds

I am the second coming of NDOM!
Reaction score
This thread is a safe place for your gaming-related content. Feel welcome and at ease...

Unless you talk about Assassin's Creed too much. Then they get after you.
lol thank you. I actually used to love Assassin's Creed but it got old jumping off buildings and stabbing people. 🤣

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
Problem with digital only is you can't buy the used games for $5.
You have to watch the flash sales like a hawk.
For example Project Cars 2 is under $5 in store, but still $49 to download.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Two questions re: digital...

1) Do you have to pay for the subscription in order to download the digital games? Or can you just pay for them and download them on an individual basis?

2) If I wanted to play against a friend who owns the same game, do I have to pay for the subscription to be able to play multi-player games?

*My last console was a N64 so bare with me. haha. Also, I'm cheap and tend to try and limit unnecessary subscriptions plans. I feel like we're nickel and dimed with monthly plans for literally everything and it drives me nuts.

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
Two questions re: digital...

1) Do you have to pay for the subscription in order to download the digital games? Or can you just pay for them and download them on an individual basis?

2) If I wanted to play against a friend who owns the same game, do I have to pay for the subscription to be able to play multi-player games?

*My last console was a N64 so bare with me. haha. Also, I'm cheap and tend to try and limit unnecessary subscriptions plans. I feel like we're nickel and dimed with monthly plans for literally everything and it drives me nuts.

You can just buy and download the game without paying the subscription, but you cannot play online multiplayer.
Fyi, the subscription is worth paying. You get free games every month and I think access to like 20-30 classic PS4/5 games. It pays for itself very quickly and is relative inexpensive if payed yearly ($60?)

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score

I'll be getting one with a disc drive so I can play my PS4 games on it whenever I have the itch to replay something.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
I would never buy a digital if I can avoid it… you’ll want physical games

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I found a disk console online locally, but at third party rate, unfortunately. Debating whether or not to pull the trigger.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I found a disk console online locally, but at third party rate, unfortunately. Debating whether or not to pull the trigger.
Can’t help you there,… I’m in the same boat. I saw one in store last week but by time I decided to buy it someone else snatched it up literally right in front of me. Now I’m going back and forth on waiting or paying extra online

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Can’t help you there,… I’m in the same boat. I saw one in store last week but by time I decided to buy it someone else snatched it up literally right in front of me. Now I’m going back and forth on waiting or paying extra online
$500 retail versus $640 facebook marketplace. Not terrible but still, that's a couple games worth...

GowerND11

Reaction score
Thanks to my PS Plus subscription I've recently been able to play a few games I never got to on the PS3/4 like Battlefield 1 (it was ok) and the Last of Us for free. I also downloaded the new Crash Bandicoot. So paying for the PS Plus is definitely worth it, plus they do, as others mentioned, discount games sometimes, but not near the amount you can buy a used physical.

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score
Thanks to my PS Plus subscription I've recently been able to play a few games I never got to on the PS3/4 like Battlefield 1 (it was ok) and the Last of Us for free. I also downloaded the new Crash Bandicoot. So paying for the PS Plus is definitely worth it, plus they do, as others mentioned, discount games sometimes, but not near the amount you can buy a used physical.
Battlefield 1 was very good online. Battlefield games in general are very good online.

GowerND11

Reaction score
Battlefield 1 was very good online. Battlefield games in general are very good online.
I have enjoyed my time online, I admit that.

The idea of the different stories, and their part of the global conflict that was WWI was a great idea. It's just that, like a lot of the war games of today, it was too short, and some missions just felt too much the same.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

Never played it, but it looks like the old school Harvest Moon games. Those games were definitely very chill and enjoyable. I typically hate farming in games, but there's something soothing about clearing a field in those titles and putting a farm together.
I would throw the book at you but admittedly i have purchased and enjoyed playing Medieval Dynasty which isn't much removed from your turnip harvesting exploits

I think I posted about that one several months back. Interesting title, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Just felt like they should prioritize getting a horse sooner or possibly implementing some form of fast travel. After dozens of hours of walking across the whole damn map it gets a bit tedious honestly.

I went for the disc drive version strictly so I could replace my PS4. Several years ago my son knocked my PS4 off the TV stand a month after I bought one new. I sent it into Sony for repairs and they gave me a junky refurbished one that behaved worse than the one I sent in (Problems started occuring right after the 12 month warranty was up of course). I've been limping along for awhile now having to washer mod the thing just to get it to run, new hard drive, etc.

If you plan on buying used games, as others have mentioned, whether it's PS4 or PS5 games it just makes sense to shell out a bit extra. You'll probably save money in the long run honestly if you do get used titles.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the extremely novice question, but with some of these games, how do you know what to do or what the mission is? Keep in mind, my gaming experience is limited to games like Turok or even old school Zelda where I had to basically buy manuals to figure out what to do and how to beat the levels. Am I in way over my head with these new age games that have insanely expansive worlds?

ACamp1900

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the extremely novice question, but with some of these games, how do you know what to do or what the mission is? Keep in mind, my gaming experience is limited to games like Turok or even old school Zelda where I had to basically buy manuals to figure out what to do and how to beat the levels. Am I in way over my head with these new age games that have insanely expansive worlds?
What game(s) are we talking??? I’m sure some here can help if you’re a bit more specific.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
What game(s) are we talking??? I’m sure some here can help if you’re a bit more specific.
Sorry. It was just a broad question. If you get a game and don’t know much about it, are they usually easy enough to figure out? Being out of gaming for so long, I have this fear that I’ll spend money on a PS5, get a couple games, and realize they’re too hard or too involved for me to figure out. I feel old. Haha