What video game are you playing?

laughingirish90

Reaction score
I've only got GT7 so far, but it's been good. You can get it on sale at this point, I saw copies floating around for about $35 or less. Didn't see that and paid full price so I could get free shipping on my PS5 :confused: More than anything I'm just enjoying having the ability to play my PS4 games again since my PS4 was on the fritz.
thanks for the answer on games. i'll have to check around then for sales on gran tuismo7 because best has it for $69 and the 25th anniversary edition for $89 which is sold out at the moment

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the answers on games. i know i'm buying gran turismo 7 because i've always loved the awsome graphics and just the game play in general. best buy has a 25th edition of gran turismo that is sold out at this moment but i have to think hard about if i want to pay the $89 price for it
All this Gran Turismo talk, I may go the opposite direction and buy a PS1 and Gran Turismo 2... those were the glory days lol

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
thanks for the answer on games. i'll have to check around then for sales on gran tuismo7 because best has it for $69 and the 25th anniversary edition for $89 which is sold out at the moment

Looks like there's used copies for $60 on Ebay. So with the 25th edition you get the Steel book case, PS5 avatars, a special Toyota Yaris paint job, the GT7 soundtrack, and some in game credits? I dunno if that's worth $30 personally. If you're a big fan I'd say go for it, but IMO you're really just paying for the steel case. The rest are kinda meh, and I find the soundtrack to be the only part of that game that isn't enjoyable.
All this Gran Turismo talk, I may go the opposite direction and buy a PS1 and Gran Turismo 2... those were the glory days lol
No lie, GT2 is what got me into the series. It was a must have when I built my Raspberry Pi, although I've still got my original PSX and games.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
For those of you who are complaining about the general lack of good narrative single player games, I'm really enjoying Guardians of the Galaxy on Gamepass. It's got a fun story, gamifies the Guardians characters well, and feels very old school in that it's just... a game. No online elements or social media garbage to be found. There are even extra outfits you can unlock by exploring the world, not by paying for them. Who'd have thunk?

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
For the throwback disc consoles,… once you move forward it’s not the graphics that make it hard,… it’s the load times. Even a ps4 to me is hard to play now that I’m used to the very minimal load times of the series x. Just a thought, the load times will drive you crazy

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
For the throwback disc consoles,… once you move forward it’s not the graphics that make it hard,… it’s the load times. Even a ps4 to me is hard to play now that I’m used to the very minimal load times of the series x. Just a thought, the load times will drive you crazy
Yeah, it's hard to go back to non-SSD drives once you've had 'em. The capacity isn't as good compared to traditional drives, but man...load times are amazing. When I replaced my PS4 drive I went with a hybrid instead of SSD and I regretted it. The PS5 SSD is killer. I run 3 SSDs in my PC these days too.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to go back to non-SSD drives once you've had 'em. The capacity isn't as good compared to traditional drives, but man...load times are amazing. When I replaced my PS4 drive I went with a hybrid instead of SSD and I regretted it. The PS5 SSD is killer. I run 3 SSDs in my PC these days too.
The anti tech in me reading this having zero idea what you just said:
1661894129216.jpeg

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
All I know is the games loaded mor fastly now
Solid State Drives, SSDs, are the shit. They're like giant USB drives with no moving parts and fast read/write speeds. Since they have no moving parts they're also better for stability and longevity. That's all you need to know :laugh:

ACamp1900

Reaction score
Solid State Drives, SSDs, are the shit. They're like giant USB drives with no moving parts and fast read/write speeds. Since they have no moving parts they're also better for stability and longevity. That's all you need to know :laugh:
Mor fastly??

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
So I have finally gotten around to having some time to fire up a new game and I was tempted to go for AC Black Flag. Instead, I decided to go with Origins. The main reason is I have been waiting for the past couple of years to play Skull and Bones which comes out in November and didn't want to get burnt out by playing back-to-back pirate games by Ubisoft...

Anyways, wish me luck on the journey. Origins finished downloading while I'm at work so I will start when I get home. Cheers.
Update:

Finished the main story line to Orgins (Needed something to detox me after last nights game). Here are my thoughts that maybe no one other than @IrishLion will care about...

Better:

1) I liked this game a lot more than Valhalla in most instances starting with the map. Not just the world itself (Ancient Egypt much more fun to look at than the boring British Isles) but also I felt like it was the right size. Doesnt feel nearly as empty and there are question marks with reasonable frequency throughout the world. Also, it didnt take forever to get from one place to another. The distances felt much more manageable instead of the usual 20 minute journey that was Valhalla.
2) The stealth mechanics were better. Wiping out army posts was much more enjoyable than it would have been in Valhalla. Navigating around the grassy areas for example made it much easier thn I remember it being in Valhalla.
3) The main story itself was much more interesting from a historical perspective. The inclusion of historical figures that I recognized and knew about made it better and I feel like the main story itself was more entertaining because of it.
4) Combat. My biggest peeve with Valhalla was the fact that the game almost wanted you to charge in and made axes blazing the META. This game had a nice balance I thought with it being much better to assassinate early and then clean up later if you wish. However, I could have done with a better parry.

Worse:

1) I didnt like the weapons as a whole. I felt like every corner had a new sword or spear. In Valhalla, it was almost a big deal when you got a new weapon. I think that is better overall. Rather than having 'rare' or 'legendary' gear being given to you over and over that you arent going to use.
2) I think that the side quests weren't as fun. The Valhalla ones I felt like were quirky and added charm. Maybe that is just a me thing, but the side quests here felt souless akin to other games with random sidequests.
3) The skills system. Valhalla let me level my character up in a more enjoyable/controllable way.

Toss up:

1) I'm torn on the main characters on who I like better. At times I like Eivor more. I felt like they were more outspoken and built better bonds with those around them, and are wary individuals that they should be. Things that I admire. Whereas Bayek and Aya felt kind of empty in comparison. However, they felt more like assassins in the way they approached things. So I can get behind them.
2) I didnt think I would miss this, but I miss the hub that you build in Valhalla. It is unneeded, but I kind of wish you felt like you were building the Bureau rather than just killing targets only.

Overall, the game is very interesting. I like it more than I liked Valhalla. However, I feel like Valhalla really added more to the overall lore of the world. I dont want to give too much away, but I feel like the sotry of the world is much more detailed in Valhalla. Whereas, this game just explains how the Creed starts. Which, while being cool, does very little for me in teh grand scheme of things.

I will finish up a few loose ends in Orgins, and then I will most likely move onto Odyssey.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
I was really expecting a news drop from EA about the college football game with the CFB season kicking off,.... there is a ton of new 'news' drops out but unless I missed something that's mostly outside peps trying to take advantage of the season by regurgitating stuff we already know for hits.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Is there going to be a killer NCAA FB game anytime soon?

I used to love the old NCAA Basketball where you could recruit computer generated players. I recruited a 7foot8 inch, 350# Center....and just dominated....

GowerND11

Reaction score
Is there going to be a killer NCAA FB game anytime soon?

I used to love the old NCAA Basketball where you could recruit computer generated players. I recruited a 7foot8 inch, 350# Center....and just dominated....
Next July. I'm happy to see it returning, but let's be honest. It's EA, and they have broken Madden and FIFA over the last 10 years, so I don't see them making a great product. This is especially true for year one. Seems that some of their releases have been like, "YEAH COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK! We are going to have Ultimate Teams!!! WOOOOO!!! We will be signing with as many universities as we can, and we are looking into how we will have the players in the game. Probably will have 2 deep rosters, maybe more, we don't know.

Oh, dynasty will be around in some capacity..."

Armyirish47

Reaction score
I was really expecting a news drop from EA about the college football game with the CFB season kicking off,.... there is a ton of new 'news' drops out but unless I missed something that's mostly outside peps trying to take advantage of the season by regurgitating stuff we already know for hits.

I thought so too, and was especially hyped when I thought the pre-game nonsense was rendered in what looked like a video game format. Much sadness.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
My local Walmart has both the series x and ps5 in store right now,… I’m in aisle staring at both,… that’s a good sign

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
I went from no PS5 to two in the last month. My son has to wait until Christmas for his though.

Madden 23 is pretty good in comparison to the PS4 version.

All I ever play is Madden and racing games (F1, Dirt5, or my favorite game: Project Cars 2).
We have this little racing rig setup in the corner with a 32" curved monitor:
It's pretty cool for rainy days or winter when I can't get my Shelby on the road.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 6

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score
I went from no PS5 to two in the last month. My son has to wait until Christmas for his though.

Madden 23 is pretty good in comparison to the PS4 version.

All I ever play is Madden and racing games (F1, Dirt5, or my favorite game: Project Cars 2).
We have this little racing rig setup in the corner with a 32" curved monitor:
It's pretty cool for rainy days or winter when I can't get my Shelby on the road.
Not a racing guy but damn that's a fun setup

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
I'm damn near 40 years old and haven't played games since I was in middle school. I'm thinking about getting a PS5 though. The new NBA 2K23 Jordan Edition and the new PGA 2K23 look amazing and right up my alley for what I used to play as a kid.

What does a newb need to know about gaming in the 21st century? haha

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
In Brookfield Illinois there is the Galloping Ghost Video Arcade - billed as the largest video arcade in the world. It has all the great games from the 1980s and 1990s. The stand-up, Coin fed machines from the golden age of Video Arcades.

I took my 14 and 12 year old daughters and I was in heaven and they were like WTF Dad???. "Not cool"

ACamp1900

Reaction score
That sucks,… there is an old throw back arcade right by my work and I took my daughters and they loved it

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Nintendo 64 and the early playstation days are how I spent a lot of my childhood. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the PS5 and these new games.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
Nintendo 64 and the early playstation days are how I spent a lot of my childhood. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the PS5 and these new games.
Hmm,… I get it. Know you’ll have updates and downloads that need installing. Other than that it’s really just jump in and swim. Once you adjust I think you’ll be fine. One game at a time

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally picked up Elden Ring. Planning to use a straight-forward Unga Bunga STR build with the Guts Sword for my first play-through. Any preference between War Cry or Lion's Claw on it?

You gonna busting ass straight to Caelid to get that build going ASAP??? Some nice rune farms there that will get you a good head start.

I know you are experienced, but I was brand new to Soulsbourne when I picked up Elden Ring. Stumbled into Caelid by accident when out exploring, just getting the lay of the land and trying to figure out how to not die to every singe enemy I encountered.

My first experience with an Iron Maiden in Caelid made me question if Fromsoftware were really for me lol.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Lion's Claw is very strong and was patched to activate faster. Used to be much slower. Very enjoyable to use.
Seems like most UGS builds either go Lion Claw and focus on jump attacks, or go War Cry and poise their way through damage with charge attacks. I'm doing the latter right now since War Cry and the Roar Medallion are available super early. Killed Margit the Fell in four swings that way, though I had 27 Strength and a Greatsword +9 at that point, which may be slightly over-leveled for that fight.
You gonna busting ass straight to Caelid to get that build going ASAP??? Some nice rune farms there that will get you a good head start.
Yup. BEEG SWORD. It's tradition.

Started as a Vagabond, put the first 7 levels into Strength for 21, and then went straight to loot that carriage chest in Caelid. Those dogs guarding it did kill me once, though.

I'd like to power stance it with a 2nd UGS soon, but there's lots of conflicting advice on what to equip and whether that's even a good idea.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I'm damn near 40 years old and haven't played games since I was in middle school. I'm thinking about getting a PS5 though. The new NBA 2K23 Jordan Edition and the new PGA 2K23 look amazing and right up my alley for what I used to play as a kid.

What does a newb need to know about gaming in the 21st century? haha
It's definitely worth getting PS Plus if you're getting a PS5. Now only do you need it for online play, but every month they'll give you free games to play for as long as you stay subscribed. I think currently it's $60 a year, definitely worth the value. They usually give you 2 or maybe 3 games a month, sometimes they're a bit lame Indy games that aren't worth your time, sometimes they're really good AAA titles that have been out for awhile. You just add them to your library each month and you can download them whenever you like from that point forward (Again, as long as you stay subscribed you can continue to play these games in your library at any time).

Other than that I would just say feel free to add anybody's Playstation handles here if you decide to game with anyone. Haven't played with an IE guys in awhile, but my username should be the same as mine here: Ulukinatme
If you're interested about any other games or looking for suggestions on what to play just give us some ideas what you enjoy and I'm sure we can fill in the gaps.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Got a Steam Deck. Having my steam library available on the couch while my wife watches tv is a gamechanger. Going to make this thing an emulation powerhouse.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
If y'all like Elden Ring that much Im just going to throw out there again that Bloodborne is one of the best games ever and the most fun combat in Soulsborne and would be a great October game.

(Somehow Sekiro's combat is even better but Sekiro isn't really a Soulsborne. Myazaki doesn't miss.)