What video game are you playing?

GowerND11

Reaction score
NCAA 05 and 06 were the glory days.

Historical rosters. All-Time teams. FCS Schools. And I'm pretty sure they still had the pennant challenges where you could win pennants from achievements and rivalry games, and use them in exhibition games as arcade-style cheat codes.

I still get nostalgic thinking about moving my PS2 to the basement on a Friday night, knowing I could stay up all night editing the ND roster and starting a dynasty, not worrying about school the next morning. The grind of typing each name in based on the heights and weights was like a right of passage lol

All of that, PLUS in depth recruiting, Magazine covers, fun gameplay, and more probably.

GowerND11

Reaction score
The recruiting by tie the last game came out was super watered down....

I admit I can't remember much of 14 because my PS3 kicked the bucket 3 months into having the game. However, I remember it being unengaging and just.... there.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
I admit I can't remember much of 14 because my PS3 kicked the bucket 3 months into having the game. However, I remember it being unengaging and just.... there.
It was just, give points to this recruit, max it to 500? done.

It was so much more in depth and meaningful in prior games, it took way more time too though which I'm sure is why they dumbed it down.

GowerND11

Reaction score
It was just, give points to this recruit, max it to 500? done.

It was so much more in depth and meaningful in prior games, it took way more time too though which I'm sure is why they dumbed it down.

Damn kids and their attention spans...

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair, even when it was more "in-depth," you were really just spending two or three weeks to scout their preferred recruiting pitches, and then dumping your time or selections on those things.

Now it's just scouting their attributes in the preseason, and then scouting some additional guys during the season once you have some guys committed. There's not as much challenge or time commitment, but there never really was if you knew how to search for the right uncommitted prospects.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
To be fair, even when it was more "in-depth," you were really just spending two or three weeks to scout their preferred recruiting pitches, and then dumping your time or selections on those things.

Now it's just scouting their attributes in the preseason, and then scouting some additional guys during the season once you have some guys committed. There's not as much challenge or time commitment, but there never really was if you knew how to search for the right uncommitted prospects.
eh,... you could apply points to different things,... sell different aspects of your campus that stuff...

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I somehow managed to pluck a PS5 off Best Buy's website a month ago. I was scrolling through the internets and saw they were doing a live sale right then. I made an account, logged in, waited in the queue, and I got it within 25 minutes.

Okay...I'm even saltier now that I had to wait 10 months in the PS Direct waiting list only to get mine last week :laugh:
NCAA 05 and 06 were the glory days.

Historical rosters. All-Time teams. FCS Schools. And I'm pretty sure they still had the pennant challenges where you could win pennants from achievements and rivalry games, and use them in exhibition games as arcade-style cheat codes.

I still get nostalgic thinking about moving my PS2 to the basement on a Friday night, knowing I could stay up all night editing the ND roster and starting a dynasty, not worrying about school the next morning. The grind of typing each name in based on the heights and weights was like a right of passage lol

I forgot all about the pennants till I read this...damn. I've still got all my NCAA games from '99-'14, but I haven't bothered with any of them but '14 in years.

I don't think I found out about the uncommitted guys that were missed until we started doing our dynasties. In the beginning I would pick my best prospects during the off-season, try and get them to auto-commit and those that didn't I'd ride out and try to get them to commit early on a visit by maxing bonuses. If not I'd dump everything into their recruitment in the offseason to win the battles.
Then I saw all these recruits that were flying under the radar, Top 100 guys that the system wasn't recruiting. You find those dudes Week 2 or 3 and you could jump out to an early lead and no one would catch up.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
lol i saw a thread on r/gaming the other day about a gamer who was saying once younger players found out he was an older game they would usually berate him for being a loser playing games at his age and then kick him from group chats/game parties. He's 28 years old lol
I can’t imagine being the old guy in a young group. I’m in a couple guilds on ESO that focus on end game trial content and we have more old than young but a few young people. Most everyone is 35-40 and we get along great. People who are rude or sweaty get gone quick. Been playing with most of these people for about 3+years. Crazy now that I think about it.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
Latest patch for ESO has been a real bummer and I’m just gonna wait to see what shakes out of it over the last part of the year. Just started Destiny 2 to fill in the void. Anyone playing this?

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Latest patch for ESO has been a real bummer and I’m just gonna wait to see what shakes out of it over the last part of the year. Just started Destiny 2 to fill in the void. Anyone playing this?
I'm still (slowly) working my way through Elden Ring lol.

I just defeated Margit in Leyndell, but I think I'm going to go back and start hunting all of the bosses, great enemies, lords, etc. that I missed. I kind of rushed through Leyndell when I first got there, as I was feeling burnt out, then took a break from the game for a few months. I'm recharged and once again in love with the game, so I'll try to be a completionist until I burn out again.

Gonna warp back to Limgrave, and go down the wiki list of bosses from there.

Also started going through Volcano Manor, but I can't decide if I want to go through the whole dungeon, or if I want to do the assassination quests instead.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
I’m stuck on the final boss of the game. I must be dumb or bad but I just can’t seem to put it together. Very frustrating. I put it down.

Volcano manor is very cool. The assassination quests are fairly straightforward.

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
I play Destiny 2 with my buddies every now and again. There are a ton of mechanics and the story is pretty deep. Had to watch a few Youtube videos to figure out how it worked and what the story was. That being said, I enjoy playng through the campaign with them and doing dungeons and raids. It can be fun if you get a good group imo. The PvP and PvE has never really inspired me tbh. I think multiplayer in Apex, COD, etc. have better modes tbh. But Destiny's are unique and I have friends that love them. To each their own I guess.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
So now it’s confirmed the new contract with Celtic won’t include Celtic Park for fifa 23 but most likely next year,… what’s the point then??? Im passing on fifa for sure this year

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I may already be nearing the end of GT7, at least from the "campaign/sim" perspective. There's still a number of challenges to do, and there's two licenses I still need to get all Gold on, but I think I'm nearing the end of the "Menu" portion of the game. It's been fun, but feels kinda short compared to previous games for some reason. Part of that might be the fact they end up gifting you a lot of cars...I mean a metric ton. It works out, since you can't sell them like in the past. Most of said cars are older models, like 90s or Classics, but if you can tune them right they can win against contemporary models as long as there isn't a PP (Performance Points) limit on a race. Every car starts out with a PP base level, and the more mods and crap you add to the car the more the PP level increases. Most races have no limit on a car's PP level, so you can drop $20k-$100k+ in upgrades to push a car past the competition. When there is a limit though you gotta try to squeeze every bit in that you can as those races are often pretty challenging.

Unfortunately the formula for calculating the Performance Points is somewhat hard to follow too. It's based on a variety of factors including horsepower, weight, suspension settings, aerodynamics, drivetrain, etc. If you've got a race where the max PP is set at 550 you may be able to take a Nissan Skyline with a base rate of 350 and mod it up to 550, or you could take a Limited Edition Camaro that starts at 500 and throw some Soft Racing tires on and it too will be at 550. You'd think both vehicles would be comparable if the Performance Points are anything to go off of, but they're not. The Camaro ends up smoking the Skyline. I feel like in the past they limited it by HP and that was easier to work with. The Performance Points formula is so touchy though...I can adjust downforce on the front of the car a few points and the PP rating barely moves, but move it a few points more and it'll drop or gain 25-30 points. For that reason it's kind of hard to game the system and sometimes you wind up with a car at max Performance Points that gets destroyed by the competition. Feels like it needs to be fine tweaked a bit better is all I'm saying, it's not all that consistent or a good barometer on how well a vehicle operates.

Overall I've been enjoying the game though. It scratches the old GT and racing itch, the controls feel great (You can feel resistance in the pedals/trigger buttons under certain driving conditions which is cool in conjunction with the Rumble features). Visuals are good. Customization is as good as it's ever been, if not better. I like what they did with the Cafe/Menu stuff for progression. Keeps you on task if you get lost on what you were doing the previous night, and it adds a lot of cool backstory to vehicles and car history that you probably didn't know. I didn't care for it at first, especially since they start you out racing Japanese Compact cars, but it starts things slow and builds you up to the big boys. Biggest gripe has been the music...fuckin' awful. In the old days we got tunes like Van Halen's Panama, or Judas Priests' Turbo Lover. Now they've got weird artists I've never heard of, Remixed Classical tracks, lots of jazz of course...no thanks. Fortunately this is an easy fix, I just launch Spotify in PS5 and run my own Classic Rock playlist.

On a side note, they just had an update the other night that looked like they added the '69 Pontiac GTO Judge to the game. When I logged in the car just happened to show up in the Legends shop and I had enough cash to purchase it. Dunno if I'll actually race it, but I've got it either way. Still need a DeLorean for shits and giggles, and a few more Audis before I'll be happy.

618450.jpg

calvegas04

Reaction score
Read ND is one of the hold outs on NCAA 23 because they want all players to be paid for being in the game. ND has still been working with EA tho as far as sending in game day audio and EA is expecting ND to be in the game.

laughingirish90

Reaction score
for those of you who have a ps5 what are some the best games to play on it, only asking because i did what i said i wouldn't do in a recent post and decided to make payments on a $670 console that comes with the horizon game online through walmart because i've given up on best buy and other retailers that have them listed for under $600 to ever not be constantly sold out

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
for those of you who have a ps5 what are some the best games to play on it, only asking because i did what i said i wouldn't do in a recent post and decided to make payments on a $670 console that comes with the horizon game online through walmart because i've given up on best buy and other retailers that have them listed for under $600 to ever not be constantly sold out
I've only got GT7 so far, but it's been good. You can get it on sale at this point, I saw copies floating around for about $35 or less. Didn't see that and paid full price so I could get free shipping on my PS5 :confused: More than anything I'm just enjoying having the ability to play my PS4 games again since my PS4 was on the fritz.

Irishokie

Reaction score
Anyone play the TMNT Shredder’s Revenge game yet? Most likely my next new game purchase. Think it’s supposed to be released on disc tomorrow.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
Anyone play the TMNT Shredder’s Revenge game yet? Most likely my next new game purchase. Think it’s supposed to be released on disc tomorrow.
Nope but I’ve been wanting to check it out too,… the Arcade game on nes was a childhood fav

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Looks classic, very much in the same vein as TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for SNES. Better graphics of course, and it looks like more playable characters. I could see me playing it with the kids...or with my buddies...

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
What style of games are you into or looking at?

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
grand theft auto and hitman type games but looking for good racing game also
Hmm.. the closest thing to GTA would be RDR2. Nothing has come close to GTA yet in scope on the PS5 (and nothing probably will till GTA 6) but RDR is a cool sandbox to play in.

For something along Hitmans aisle—I would highly suggest Ghost of Tsushima. More open world, but the stealth mechanics for that game are cool. And it’s breathtaking playing on next gen. Get the directors cut.

Racing— I honestly have very little experience here. I have a buddy though that is really into them. His 3: GT7, says it’s kind of soulless though. Dirt 3. But his number 1 is F1 2021. Days you feel like you are just flying in the car and feel like you are going 300 miles per hour. Just some things to look at.

The biggest knock on the PS5 to Xbox is that their solution to Game Pass is lacking. With Game Pass you can try a bunch of games and find one you vibe with for a monthly fee. The selection from PS is not nearly as good.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
I'm in a strange place with gaming.... There has not been a single game over the past two years that has grabbed me.... MLB The Show has been killed over my disgust for the Angels management, FIFA is the same thing every year.... no RPG has been both exciting and non-masochistic,... it's hard for me to fathom that since Bloodstained no Elder Scrolls, Red Dead, Witcher, GTA, decent new sports game, Castlevania like anything has come out for years now. I'm just waiting for NCAA next year I guess.... been an odd couple of years in terms of a complete lack of games that grab me.

GowerND11

Reaction score
Too many games focus on online play these days that the campaign/story, etc. is either lackluster, short, or both. I miss what CoD was on the PS2 and PS3. The Sniper Elite series still has some good campaign stuff. Metal Gear Solid is gone, and I doubt it's coming back, though rumors of remasters pique my interest.

I think I am going to try Ghost of Tsushima soon.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
Too many games focus on online play these days that the campaign/story, etc. is either lackluster, short, or both. I miss what CoD was on the PS2 and PS3. The Sniper Elite series still has some good campaign stuff. Metal Gear Solid is gone, and I doubt it's coming back, though rumors of remasters pique my interest.

I think I am going to try Ghost of Tsushima soon.
This and Bloodstained 2 are the last games I really got into.... both came out right around the same time over two years ago. I'm starving for another good game and don't see one until next summer.

laughingirish90

Reaction score
Hmm.. the closest thing to GTA would be RDR2. Nothing has come close to GTA yet in scope on the PS5 (and nothing probably will till GTA 6) but RDR is a cool sandbox to play in.

For something along Hitmans aisle—I would highly suggest Ghost of Tsushima. More open world, but the stealth mechanics for that game are cool. And it’s breathtaking playing on next gen. Get the directors cut.

Racing— I honestly have very little experience here. I have a buddy though that is really into them. His 3: GT7, says it’s kind of soulless though. Dirt 3. But his number 1 is F1 2021. Days you feel like you are just flying in the car and feel like you are going 300 miles per hour. Just some things to look at.

The biggest knock on the PS5 to Xbox is that their solution to Game Pass is lacking. With Game Pass you can try a bunch of games and find one you vibe with for a monthly fee. The selection from PS is not nearly as good.
thanks for the answers on games. i know i'm buying gran turismo 7 because i've always loved the awsome graphics and just the game play in general. best buy has a 25th edition of gran turismo that is sold out at this moment but i have to think hard about if i want to pay the $89 price for it