Oct 30 | North Carolina

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Mack should have stayed in the booth. He had lightning in a bottle last year, but otherwise he hasn't done much of note since Vince Young played for him.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
Mack should have stayed in the booth. He had lightning in a bottle last year, but otherwise he hasn't done much of note since Vince Young played for him.

On the other hand, last year they lost to both FSU and Virginia. Both of whom could be worse than Virginia Tech is this year. Season isn’t failed yet, the hype is just gone. Thank God for that.

AvesEvo

Reaction score
Would have been nice for us to put some points on a top ten unc team, that isn't going to happen this year.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I really don't know how Mack Brown managed to fail at Texas. At the time UT had their pick of all the good talent in the state, but they routinely fucked up recruiting by letting guys like J.T. Barrett leave (Even though he wanted to be a Longhorn), and wanting to recruit Manziel as a Safety lol. Through missteps they started letting other teams poach Texas more and more, but for the longest time they had the monopoly on in state talent. Boggles my mind how he could only put together that one magical season with Vince.

tussin

I hate freedom
Reaction score
I really don't know how Mack Brown managed to fail at Texas. At the time UT had their pick of all the good talent in the state, but they routinely fucked up recruiting by letting guys like J.T. Barrett leave (Even though he wanted to be a Longhorn), and wanting to recruit Manziel as a Safety lol. Through missteps they started letting other teams poach Texas more and more, but for the longest time they had the monopoly on in state talent. Boggles my mind how he could only put together that one magical season with Vince.

I don’t think it’s fair to say he failed. He won a natty and played in another (and in that game Colt McCoy got knocked out in the first drive I believe). That’s a great run at any school.

Also Texas was shit before he got there and has been shit since. The job isn’t the cakewalk that everyone thinks it is.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s fair to say he failed. He won a natty and played in another (and in that game Colt McCoy got knocked out in the first drive I believe). That’s a great run at any school.

Also Texas was shit before he got there and has been shit since. The job isn’t the cakewalk that everyone thinks it is.

Sounds like Texas has one of the most dysfunctional cultures of any blue blood. Huge entitlement issues, meddlesome boosters making all sorts of outlandish demands, etc. Like Friday Night Lights, but worse because there's a lot more money at stake.

That's why I expect Sark to fail. He can run a great offense when someone else (Saban) keeps the culture in order, but I don't think he's got the force of personality to fix what's wrong in Austin.

Dale

Reaction score

Of all the misses to use JT Barrett made me laugh haha.
RGIII and Andrew Luck are usually the go to references.

I also think the Mack Brown/UNC critic based off today is a bit pre mature. UNC should still be looked at as building mode. Idk why the media hyped them up this pre-season. More a victim of media wanting Brown to be a darling and looking for a Clemson opponent to sell

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score

Yeah...tough to call a title winning coach a failure. Especially since it wasn't a one year thing he pulled off. Had McCoy not went down....who knows..could have stopped the Bama dynasty from ever forming (unlikely).

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Of all the misses to use JT Barrett made me laugh haha.
RGIII and Andrew Luck are usually the go to references.

I also think the Mack Brown/UNC critic based off today is a bit pre mature. UNC should still be looked at as building mode. Idk why the media hyped them up this pre-season. More a victim of media wanting Brown to be a darling and looking for a Clemson opponent to sell

I know RGIII was from Texas, but were he and Luck ever in the mix wanting to go to Texas and Texas didn't make the offer?

I can't really comment on those guys, but I've been following one of the Longhorn message boards for the last 10 years. They were often lamenting years ago that JFF and Barrett never were offered as QBs under Mack Brown although both grew up as Longhorn fans and really wanted to play for UT. Mack offered JFF as a Safety only I guess. When you look at who they recruited at QB during that time period it was a 3 star in David Ash, Connor Brewer who quickly transferred after a year, and then in J.T. Barrett's class they opted to take Tyrone Swoopes instead and he wasn't even a true QB as he was recruited as an Athlete.

Either way, Mack really fumbled the QB position after Colt McCoy.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Yeah...tough to call a title winning coach a failure. Especially since it wasn't a one year thing he pulled off. Had McCoy not went down....who knows..could have stopped the Bama dynasty from ever forming (unlikely).

Colt saw the writing on the wall. They were losing in the trenches to Bama, that's why he took the fall to protect his draft stock. Even if he played that whole game they were going to get beaten and probably badly.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

Certainly not at a cakewalk, but Texas had the money and the recruits to dominate in his time there, but he regularly got punked by Stoops in his 16 years at Texas. They won the South division outright just 4 times in those 16 years. Lets face it too...they may have gotten to the NCG in '09 with Colt, but they got there on a paper thin schedule where they escaped the only two teams that finished ranked in Oklahoma and Nebraska. They probably had no business being there.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Colt saw the writing on the wall. They were losing in the trenches to Bama, that's why he took the fall to protect his draft stock. Even if he played that whole game they were going to get beaten and probably badly.

What an insulting statement. I’m sure the winningest QB in the history of the game (at that time) knew by the FIFTH SNAP that they were going to lose the biggest game of his career so he should fake an injury. After all, it’s not like they were in the middle of a successful opening drive where he had completed all of his passes… oh wait. Well, it’s not like it was a close game where Bama muffed a punt early giving Texas all the momentum if not for his injury… oh wait. Well, it’s not like he had ever seen a pass rush like Bamas before or been sacked 5 times in the prior game by a future NFL all pro and gutted out a win… oh wait.

Last edited:

stpeteirish

Reaction score
Last night's game is a great example of how you cannot rate a team's OL sorely on number of returning starts. NC's OL was a weak link last year exposed in the ND game. They returned everyone so naturally it became a team strength. Unless VA tech's dl is the second coming of Alabama NC's OL still sucks.

I bring this up not just re this year's game with NC but also FSU; they too have "everyone back" on the OL.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
What an insulting statement. I’m sure the winningest QB in the history of the game (at that time) knew by the FIFTH SNAP that they were going to lose the biggest game of his career so he should fake an injury. After all, it’s not like they were in the middle of a successful opening drive where he had completed all of his passes… oh wait. Well, it’s not like it was a close game where Bama muffed a punt early giving Texas all the momentum if not for his injury… oh wait. Well, it’s not like he had ever seen a pass rush like Bamas before or been sacked 5 times in the prior game by a future NFL all pro and gutted out a win… oh wait.

I dunno. Having spent a long time on the SurlyHorns board and before that the Shag, a lot of those Texas fans that claim they have inside information say that Colt's dad talked to him about going out early with a minor injury regardless. Saves face by not avoiding playing, but a minor injury doesn't hurt the draft stock. I didn't come up with the theory, I'm just sharing it /shrug

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Staff member
Reaction score
I dunno. Having spent a long time on the SurlyHorns board and before that the Shag, a lot of those Texas fans that claim they have inside information say that Colt's dad talked to him about going out early with a minor injury regardless. Saves face by not avoiding playing, but a minor injury doesn't hurt the draft stock. I didn't come up with the theory, I'm just sharing it /shrug
I truly believe Bosa did the same thing in the OSU game after Jaylon went down. Dq’d for targeting almost immediately after that

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Texas fans are willing to make up any rumor that makes them feel better about themselves.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I truly believe Bosa did the same thing in the OSU game after Jaylon went down. Dq’d for targeting almost immediately after that

Never thought of that, but it makes sense. If Bosa wasn't already thinking about getting taken out early...watching a for sure Top 10 pick in Jaylon get injured like that would make you think twice about playing the rest of the game. You cost yourself millions.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score

As good as Howell is (was?), anyone who thought this was a top 10 team after they saw their top 5 players get drafted last year were delusional.

Javonte Williams and Michael Carter at RB, plus Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome at WR. I don't have the actual numbers in front of me, but I'd bet my mortgage that was > 90% of their offensive production last year. Sprinkle in Chazz Surratt at LB, who was all over the place for that D last year, who actually thought UNC was going to reload, even with Howell? I don't think Brown has been there long enough for them to develop a reload vs. a rebuild mentality, even with Howell who I always thought was a tad bit overrated.

The ACC is hot garbage this year. It honestly might be Wake Forest's conference to lose.

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
As good as Howell is (was?), anyone who thought this was a top 10 team after they saw their top 5 players get drafted last year were delusional.

Javonte Williams and Michael Carter at RB, plus Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome at WR. I don't have the actual numbers in front of me, but I'd bet my mortgage that was > 90% of their offensive production last year. Sprinkle in Chazz Surratt at LB, who was all over the place for that D last year, who actually thought UNC was going to reload, even with Howell? I don't think Brown has been there long enough for them to develop a reload vs. a rebuild mentality, even with Howell who I always thought was a tad bit overrated.

The ACC is hot garbage this year. It honestly might be Wake Forest's conference to lose.

Your best right now seem to be NC State, Wake, and BC.

Clawson might finally get the break needed for him to be shot up into the spotlight. He's always been a good coach but hasn't quite gotten over the hump at Wake. This might be the year and any school looking to snag a good hire would have him on their list. Or at least they should.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Your best right now seem to be NC State, Wake, and BC.

Clawson might finally get the break needed for him to be shot up into the spotlight. He's always been a good coach but hasn't quite gotten over the hump at Wake. This might be the year and any school looking to snag a good hire would have him on their list. Or at least they should.

He's done a really nice job with that program. He's had them above .500 four of the last five years. That's easier said than done at Wake. I agree, it would be interesting to see what he could do if he got a shot at a bigger program.

phillyirish

Reaction score
106 tickets available on Vet Tix for anyone who’s eager to see this offense live and in person.

Also, there’s a spin off service of Vet tix called 1st Tix for law enforcement officers, firefighters, EMTs, nurses and 911 Dispatchers. From what I can tell it uses the same ticket data base as Vet Tix so if you, your wife or whoever got that criteria you can sign up and get tickets to cool events.

Free Manera

Reaction score
I think that line is about right. UNC can put it together and win this game. It’s definitely not a gimme especially coming off a big emotional night game. The stadium will feel like a church compared to last night. The letdown factor plays a role here.

Dale

Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/mmpact/status/1452348265433731072?s=21[/TWEET]