Oct 30 | North Carolina

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
So wait...they've lost to both teams we've played head to head (Both of which were away games for us), they squeaked by 2-4 Miami, and we've got them at home? We've arguably gotten a bit better as the season has gone on, while NC's hype has been dropping. I like our chances.

benneboy

Reaction score
So wait...they've lost to both teams we've played head to head (Both of which were away games for us), they squeaked by 2-4 Miami, and we've got them at home? We've arguably gotten a bit better as the season has gone on, while NC's hype has been dropping. I like our chances.

I had the same thoughts and was expecting a 7-8 point spread. Problem is Vegas knows better so its a reason for concern for Saturday.

Armyirish47

Reaction score
I had the same thoughts and was expecting a 7-8 point spread. Problem is Vegas knows better so its a reason for concern for Saturday.

SP+ has us .4 apart so tack on 3 for home field advantage and biggity bam Vegas baby!

Ndaccountant

Old Hoss
Reaction score

I as well. My hope is that it's about the fact Hamilton isn't confirmed to be playing yet.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
I'll be there, and I've never been to a night game when the crowd hasn't been electric, so I'm not buying the "crowd let down" narrative that one poster had.

When the liquids have been flowing for 8ish hours, the volume cranks up.

-3.5 seems criminally low. This doesn't have to be close...

Reaper97

Reaction score
My favorite thing about UNC fans is the game is a week away & they are already blaming the refs. LOL
After last years game they blamed the refs, & this year they have already built in that excuse.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1452672268887277572?s=20[/TWEET]

LOL kid's layed off the weed during the season it seems

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
Hamilton is OUT for this one per BK. Oh boy.

I could be wrong but I don't think UNC's offense is any scarier than USC's, and we held them to 16, without KH for most of the game. The bend, don't break strategy was effective for the most part, and it could have been even more effective if our tackling wasn't so damn sloppy.

Hopefully they clean up the tackling and our boys up front keep up the pressure and get Howell with some happy feet.

By no means am I implying this isn't a huge loss, but the defensive effort last week was good enough to give me hope we can get to 7-1 without him.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Doesn't UNC have an awful Oline again?
I like our chances with that matchup.
Sounds like a big havoc game.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
No Kyle Hamilton for this game.

NM. See it's already posted. My IE has been messed up all day today. Anyone else?

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
The offensive scheme they run favors a poor O line. I think we're going to need to score 30-35 to win this game. Lea had them on lockdown. Freeman......... we shall see.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
To be fair, Freeman's D gave up less to SC this pass week than Lea's ever did...

I don't understand why people aren't more excited about holding USC to 16 points....are they more concerned about total yards than total points?

The havoc plays were early and often on Saturday. The bend, don't break strategy not only worked, but would have been even better had the tackling not been so shoddy.

Seems like a lot of negativity after doing a really nice job against arguably the best offensive team we've played to date.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
I don't understand why people aren't more excited about holding USC to 16 points....are they more concerned about total yards than total points?

The havoc plays were early and often on Saturday. The bend, don't break strategy not only worked, but would have been even better had the tackling not been so shoddy.

Seems like a lot of negativity after doing a really nice job against arguably the best offensive team we've played to date.

They held themselves to 16 points, to a certain extent. Missed 42 yard field goal, missed extra point and awful clock management cost them 7 points, at least.

Still not bad but if they actually put these points on the board to end the 1st half and start the 2nd half it would have been a different game. That had little to do with the defense and more to do with USC being USC.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
They held themselves to 16 points, to a certain extent. Missed 42 yard field goal, missed extra point and awful clock management cost them 7 points, at least.

Still not bad but if they actually put these points on the board to end the 1st half and start the 2nd half it would have been a different game. That had little to do with the defense and more to do with USC being USC.

I agree. They threw for 300 yards and ran for 120+. We didn't really stop them from eating up field, and while we did get some stops and keep points off the board I think USC had quite a few self inflicted wounds that cost them points. I don't think Interim Coach Williams has done himself any favors when it comes to landing a future HC job somewhere else given his missteps, and he's got a bit of an ego issue anyway in my opinion so FUSC.

dad4aa

Reaction score

And we dropped a pass at the 5-yard line after marching right down the field and then missed the FG. We also followed our TD with an interception return to the 4 yard line and then shot ourselves in the foot and had to settle for a FG. Had we gone up 21-0 rather than 10-0...it would have been a different game.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
To be fair, Freeman's D gave up less to SC this pass week than Lea's ever did...

I hear what you're saying but I couldn't have been less impressed with USC as a roster in general minus London at wr. They are absolutely terrible imo. My impressions are UNC is much more talented.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
The offensive scheme they run favors a poor O line. I think we're going to need to score 30-35 to win this game. Lea had them on lockdown. Freeman......... we shall see.

The results don't seem to back that up.

They've done really well and put up a lot of points, but only against the worst defenses they've played. And believe me, they are BAD defenses, as in some of the worst in CFB.

The better defenses they've played have held them in check.

Florida State held them to 25 points, Virginia Tech held them to 10, Georgia Tech held them to 22. And none of these defenses are legitimately good, they're just not terrible.

The only good game they had against a not ungodly terrible defense was Miami, but that game was heavily aided by Miami's inept offense turning the ball over time and time again.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying but I couldn't have been less impressed with USC as a roster in general minus London at wr. They are absolutely terrible imo. My impressions are UNC is much more talented.

I mean, they aren't.

UNC has similar strengths on offense to USC, in that they have 1 major weapon at receiver in Downs, like USC had in London, but not much else. Their run game is often non-existent and Howell has been a massive disappointment and if pressured, is awful. Their offensive line returned every starter from last year and they're still bad. They're actually worse than USC up front.

Their numbers are heavily aided by the fact that they've played some of the worst defenses in the country. Against the better ones they've played (mind you, not good defenses, just the better ones), they've struggled.

Defensively, they're bad. Arguably worse than USC.

Irish2155

Reaction score
Last week predicted over 150 yards from scrimmage for KW. This week, not as many, but still a lot…120.

Mr. Austin’s turn to go off. Yeah buddy. Give me 150+ receiving yards. 2 long ones housed.

irish roll. This of course assuming that Tommy goes up tempo again.

Dale

Reaction score
I mean, they aren't.

UNC has similar strengths on offense to USC, in that they have 1 major weapon at receiver in Downs, like USC had in London, but not much else. Their run game is often non-existent and Howell has been a massive disappointment and if pressured, is awful. Their offensive line returned every starter from last year and they're still bad. They're actually worse than USC up front.

Their numbers are heavily aided by the fact that they've played some of the worst defenses in the country. Against the better ones they've played (mind you, not good defenses, just the better ones), they've struggled.

Defensively, they're bad. Arguably worse than USC.

Their run game being non-existent is a bit of a stretch. They don’t get that much from their RB always but with Howell they’ve ran for over 200 yards 4 times. They’ve had 1 game it’d call it non-existent, the GA Tech loss.

Dale

Reaction score
UNCs pass game this year is incredibly predictable because the OL still can’t hold up and outside WRs are not unique talents. You basically just half to make sure you don’t get burned deep they are almost non threats besides that and don’t get targeted very often. Downs lines up exclusively in the slot. Don’t think for a second BK wasn’t on to UNC when he hyped up Bracy all Saturday night. I think you’ll see Lewis and Hart left alone a bit more than normal and them soft bracket Downs. Biggest priority should be Howell running.

Irish4life

Reaction score
Some stats to keep in mind with regards to UNC's defense.

Braxton Burmeister: 9 rushes, 47 yards, 1 TD (12/19, 163 yards, 1 TD/1 INT)

Jeff Sims: 10 rushes, 128 yards, 3 TDs (10/13, 112 yards, 1 TD)

Jordan Travis: 14 rushes, 121 yards, 2 TDs. (11/13, 145 yards, 3 TDs)

Might be a good idea to get Buchner some serious PT this Saturday.

BurningRiver

Notre Dame class of '17
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Haven't posted on this forum in... 8 years? Anyway, I've gone from an ND-obsessed high school student to a washed up alum, and am now headed back to campus for the first time since my senior year (proudly, my last season on campus was the 2016 debacle).

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'm driving up to the game and will likely get there around noon. Any recommendations for parking, walking distance to campus? Happy to park on a front lawn or in the street... just don't know where to even look.

dad4aa

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Haven't posted on this forum in... 8 years? Anyway, I've gone from an ND-obsessed high school student to a washed up alum, and am now headed back to campus for the first time since my senior year (proudly, my last season on campus was the 2016 debacle).

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'm driving up to the game and will likely get there around noon. Any recommendations for parking, walking distance to campus? Happy to park on a front lawn or in the street... just don't know where to even look.

I park every game in the neighborhood just east of Twyckenham and north of Bulla for $20. Short walk and easy to leave after the game.

FWIrish4

Reaction score
I park every game in the neighborhood just east of Twyckenham and north of Bulla for $20. Short walk and easy to leave after the game.

You can’t go wrong with that area. I always do the house at the end of the cul-de-sac of Ivy and Dunn for $20.