All Things SkunkBear

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Alford left because he wasn't gonna have a legit shot to promote into a coordinator role at ND. He was passed up in 2011 when they went with Chuck Martin to replace Molnar. He was passed up again in 2014 when they replaced Martin with Denbrock. He was passed up AGAIN in 2015, when they brought in Sanford to be the OC.

Obviously, working with Urban Meyer was definitely a tempting opportunity, and perhaps he saw a better shot to promote or work his way into an OC role elsewhere at Ohio State working for one of the top offensive minds at the time. Didn't work out that way.

May be the same logic for his move from Ohio State to Michigan, where he's chasing a potential promotion. I just think he's a lifetime position coach.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
They got a transfer in from Youngstown state lol their NIL fund rolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Alford left because he wasn't gonna have a legit shot to promote into a coordinator role at ND. He was passed up in 2011 when they went with Chuck Martin to replace Molnar. He was passed up again in 2014 when they replaced Martin with Denbrock. He was passed up AGAIN in 2015, when they brought in Sanford to be the OC.

Obviously, working with Urban Meyer was definitely a tempting opportunity, and perhaps he saw a better shot to promote or work his way into an OC role elsewhere at Ohio State working for one of the top offensive minds at the time. Didn't work out that way.

May be the same logic for his move from Ohio State to Michigan, where he's chasing a potential promotion. I just think he's a lifetime position coach.
He could also move down a peg to an OC job at like a lower-level P5 - which may be more likely than being handed the keys to the offense at Notre Dame or Ohio State - but I can't recall him ever being mentioned for any gigs anywhere except Colorado State (his alma mater) when they had a HC opening several years back. So I'd tend to agree.

oddz313

Reaction score
and I'd wager 85-90% of people on here didn't actually attend ND
Ya I am in that crowd, my old man went to Notre Dame in the 70s, so in the early 90s when I got into sports I gravitated towards rooting for them.

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score
I did not go myself, only got an honorable mention :laugh: Several family members have been through: aunt and uncle both met there, three cousins went through. Grandparents sponsor a scholarship and there's a room in the science building dedicated to them. They had season tickets in the gold seats for 25 years, gave them up a few years ago.

deise mike

Reaction score
I have followed the Irish on and off since they first appeared on tv here in Ireland in 1985. I'm not American, I'm not Irish (English), I'm not Catholic but I spend more time on ND sites than any other and listen to most of the podcasts. I stay up till 4 in the morning watching night games and I'm just captivated by it all. I'm retired and have seen the Irish the 3 times they have played in Dublin and hope that in the next couple of years I hope to get to South Bend.

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score
I have followed the Irish on and off since they first appeared on tv here in Ireland in 1985. I'm not American, I'm not Irish (English), I'm not Catholic but I spend more time on ND sites than any other and listen to most of the podcasts. I stay up till 4 in the morning watching night games and I'm just captivated by it all. I'm retired and have seen the Irish the 3 times they have played in Dublin and hope that in the next couple of years I hope to get to South Bend.

That's pretty damn cool. If you've followed the team for that long and to those lengths I truly hope you get an opportunity to see a game in South Bend sometime. Every fan deserves to go at least once. If you do go I suggest getting there early so you can see all the sites and sounds around campus, visit the landmarks, etc. Late September till late October is a great time to go, it's usually perfect temperature as long as there's no rain.

Once you experience it once as a fan it's hard not to go back. As Lou always says: "Those who know Notre Dame, no explanation’s necessary. Those who don’t, no explanation will suffice."

NDpendent

Reaction score
And this right here my friends is why playing games in Dublin (and hopefully in Italy soon) is so important. It's like Rockne's vision of a coast to coast brand when he wanted to schedule annual games in California but now it's a global vision.

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
Picked up Lindy's last week when it came out and I'm shocked how high they're picking Michigan not only in the Big Ten but nationally.

These preview shows and mags can often be very lazy. Picking Michigan this high is based off of last year and not reality.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Picked up Lindy's last week when it came out and I'm shocked how high they're picking Michigan not only in the Big Ten but nationally.

These preview shows and mags can often be very lazy. Picking Michigan this high is based off of last year and not reality.

They're going to be flabbergasted when they play a team with a pulse in September.

BobbyMac

Staffer 4 Life
Staff member
Reaction score
Is EJ’s latest blunder being discussed on the site anywhere? Sounds like it would fit into multiple threads.