'22 SC LB Jaylen Sneed (Notre Dame Signee)

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/LowcoSports/status/1451770876207190020[/TWEET]

NDBoiler

The Rep Machine
Reaction score
Kid’s a pretty scary running quarterback. You can tell the other team wants absolutely nothing to do with him when he’s carrying the ball.

Reaper97

Reaction score
The AD who posts on one of the other boards said the injury is AC joint in shoulder and is fine.
He also elaborated that the concern with Sneed is his ability to play physical. He had mentioned before the season that there was a reason Sneed was so good in camps compared to real games. The AD doesn’t think Sneed can play physical football that’s needed at ND. This is the same criticism others in the area had too.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He played on the DL as a Junior before he blew up on the camp circuit as a "soft" LB. I'll trust Freeman's eval on this one. He's been on him for years now.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
The AD who posts on one of the other boards said the injury is AC joint in shoulder and is fine.
He also elaborated that the concern with Sneed is his ability to play physical. He had mentioned before the season that there was a reason Sneed was so good in camps compared to real games. The AD doesn’t think Sneed can play physical football that’s needed at ND. This is the same criticism others in the area had too.

I respect people's inside opinions, and often these turn out to be true. Remember this with a RB from Virginia who ended up at Michigan years back and was a "5-star" on some sites and people around Richmond said he was overrated as hell and they were right. Can't remember his name.

With that being said, they're also often wrong because they have biases and/or are too close to a situation. 5-star kid leaving the south, from a political standpoint they have to have an excuse for not landing him or not offering him. I've seen this movie a million times, ND coaches in the Weis era used to do similar spin with reporters about Midwest kids they weren't landing and Ohio State does it with virtually every kid that leaves Ohio for the SEC or ND. I have a hard time seeing him not being a fit for Freeman's defense, but time will tell.

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
I respect people's inside opinions, and often these turn out to be true. Remember this with a RB from Virginia who ended up at Michigan years back and was a "5-star" on some sites and people around Richmond said he was overrated as hell and they were right. Can't remember his name.

With that being said, they're also often wrong because they have biases and/or are too close to a situation. 5-star kid leaving the south, from a political standpoint they have to have an excuse for not landing him or not offering him. I've seen this movie a million times, ND coaches in the Weis era used to do similar spin with reporters about Midwest kids they weren't landing and Ohio State does it with virtually every kid that leaves Ohio for the SEC or ND. I have a hard time seeing him not being a fit for Freeman's defense, but time will tell.

How could you forget Derrick Green! Guy was always overweight and had zero wiggle.

Reaper97

Reaction score

I don’t know what the AD’s motivation is, but he is a huge ND fan. He says he likes Sneed a lot as a kid & student, but just questions his ability to translate to major D1 football. I guess we will all see?

Redbar

Reaction score
I don’t know what the AD’s motivation is, but he is a huge ND fan. He says he likes Sneed a lot as a kid & student, but just questions his ability to translate to major D1 football. I guess we will all see?

That just doesn’t sound like something an AD would say about a kid he is a big fan of. I’m not saying he didn’t say it, just doesn’t seem like the type of thing adults say about kids to the general public. Something is awry.

Reaper97

Reaction score
That just doesn’t sound like something an AD would say about a kid he is a big fan of. I’m not saying he didn’t say it, just doesn’t seem like the type of thing adults say about kids to the general public. Something is awry.

Well, his handle is his name, Brett Macy, he is an AD in Blufton, a ND guy, & somebody who has been posting & talking to other posters offline on the Rivals site since before ND even offered Sneed.
I don’t know him personally, but he posts his opinion on the Premium Rivals’ site. So he doesn’t back down from it. Offline he is even more blunt & open about it.
I don’t think he has any ill-will towards Sneed, I think that is just his opinion, & it’s based on what he and the coaches in the area have seen. I can tell you I was in Myrtle Beach & Hilton Head in the spring and asked a coach what he thought of Sneed & was told the same thing?

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score

They do, just rarely ever in writing.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
They do, just rarely ever in writing.

The fact he is doing so in writing is big red flag. Especially if people know who he is.

https://lowcosports.com/2019/12/20/e...ins-from-2018/
May River High School has forfeited 10 football games and seven boys basketball games from 2018 after self-reporting the use of an ineligible player, the Beaufort County School District announced Friday.

The school has sent letters to several schools announcing the forfeitures due to a student-athlete’s paperwork that did not meet the requirements of the South Carolina High School League (SCHSL).

The student in question was a transfer who enrolled at May River in August 2018 after providing an affidavit that demonstrated a change in legal guardianship. The student’s new legal guardian was a resident in May River’s attendance zone, and an affidavit is an acceptable form of proof to establish residency for purposes of enrollment.

However, the SCHSL requires a court document to establish athletic eligibility. The student’s affidavit, while sufficient for enrollment purposes, did not meet SCHSL regulations.

BCSD Director of Communications Jim Foster said no coaches faced disciplinary action, because the error was outside their area of responsibility.

“These were administrative issues that didn’t involve the coaching staff,” Foster said. “There have been no changes to the coaching staff.”

The issue came to the forefront when officials reviewed eligibility questions regarding the 2019 season, Foster said. While no concerns were found with the 2019 eligibility paperwork, the mistake from the previous season came to light.

After determining that SCHSL rules might have been violated in 2018, May River self-reported to the league last month. Following a review, the SCHSL directed the forfeiture of 2018 athletic contests – 10 football games and seven basketball games – in which the newly enrolled student was in uniform.

The school received notice that it would be required to forfeit the contests on Nov. 19 and had to review the participation records to determine which games the ineligible player competed in before preparing the communications to go out to the schools affected.

The ruling takes away all but one of the Sharks’ wins during a season in which they went undefeated in the regular season and finished 11-1 overall. The forfeits include games against Bluffton, Whale Branch, Hilton Head High, Ridgeland-Hardeeville, and Beaufort High, as well as a win over Wade Hampton that clinched the Region 8-3A championship and playoff victories over Lake City and Gilbert.

Foster said it will be left up to runner-up Wade Hampton to determine whether it will accept the Sharks’ forfeiture of the region championship.

The district is not announcing which basketball wins must be forfeited, because doing so might identify the student in question, which would violate federal privacy laws.

The high school also received a $500 fine that has been paid using student activity funds raised through ticket sales at athletic events and other fund raisers.

To safeguard against similar documentation violations in the future, May River Athletics Director Brett Macy said the school will have two separate people – himself and the school’s eligibility coordinator – review and evaluate documentation on all transfers of student athletes.
https://lowcosports.com/2019/12/20/...ver-to-forfeit-football-hoops-wins-from-2018/
https://lowcosports.com/2019/12/20/...ver-to-forfeit-football-hoops-wins-from-2018/

oof

Ndaccountant

Old Hoss
Reaction score
Well, his handle is his name, Brett Macy, he is an AD in Blufton, a ND guy, & somebody who has been posting & talking to other posters offline on the Rivals site since before ND even offered Sneed.
I don’t know him personally, but he posts his opinion on the Premium Rivals’ site. So he doesn’t back down from it. Offline he is even more blunt & open about it.
I don’t think he has any ill-will towards Sneed, I think that is just his opinion, & it’s based on what he and the coaches in the area have seen. I can tell you I was in Myrtle Beach & Hilton Head in the spring and asked a coach what he thought of Sneed & was told the same thing?

I think it's a major red flag as a person. Look, it's one thing to say something you feel towards a college coach who asks for you opinion. It's another to do say it so openly and brazenly. In my experience, when someone does this, it's usually because either a) they said it in private and feel they were dismissed, so they want to go "on the record" to prove they are right or 2) they are seeking attention (or a combo of the two). Either way, it's about the person who is speaking the words rather than the person the comments are about. For someone who is supposedly in a leadership position, I find it incredibly disturbing he would be so openly callous about one of his students whom he is supposed to be leading. This isn't leadership and I feel bad for the athletes at his school. If he says this publicly, imagine what he says privately. What a shame.

Reaper97

Reaction score
I think it's a major red flag as a person. Look, it's one thing to say something you feel towards a college coach who asks for you opinion. It's another to do say it so openly and brazenly. In my experience, when someone does this, it's usually because either a) they said it in private and feel they were dismissed, so they want to go "on the record" to prove they are right or 2) they are seeking attention (or a combo of the two). Either way, it's about the person who is speaking the words rather than the person the comments are about. For someone who is supposedly in a leadership position, I find it incredibly disturbing he would be so openly callous about one of his students whom he is supposed to be leading. This isn't leadership and I feel bad for the athletes at his school. If he says this publicly, imagine what he says privately. What a shame.

I have no idea why he is posting it?
He has a lot of posts on the matter going back a year or so. He never says anything negative about Sneed as a kid or student. He just honestly feels Sneed is not physical enough to play major D1 football. That’s basically the quick summary of his posts; great kid, good student, not physical, ranked too high.

Dale

Reaction score
I don’t know why it’s gotten this much attention. It’s not like he’s the AD at Sneed’s school. If the AD at my HS said that about another kid from the city I wouldn’t take his opinion any higher than John Johnson or any other person who has seen him play multiple times too. He could be right, he could be wrong, I hope he’s wrong. ADs aren’t deeply qualified to project college football development

T-Boone

Reaction score
Do you even need to be that physical to be able to play rover?

I am happy to get a player with elite physical tools and let them work on it.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah see this is basically where I’m at. With what they’re going to ask him to do - either as the hybrid in Freeman’s traditional scheme or as the “Rover” - he has literally a perfect skill set. You need to be a freak athlete with some size. You don’t need to be a guard destroying LB.

Honestly, there are so many parallels to JOK except that one was underrated and the other is highly rated. JOK got dinged on being the “size of a safety” but turned out to be plenty physical to play Rover. I honestly feel like instincts are the most important thing and if he can ply fast then everything else will take care of itself.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s a good point, there very well could be value without being overly physical. But I just don’t see it. I think this is some guy trying to play big shot and make a call.

Being physical is usually a want too/attitude thing. This young man plays both ways and is either tackling or being tackled 30+ times in some games. Guys that don’t like contact won’t do that and even more of them, won’t do it as well as Sneed does.

You have to love football to take 12 carries for 109 yards, complete 7 of 14 passes, while making 21 tackles. That’s what football players do. Not soft workout warriors.

GUknights75

Reaction score
That’s a good point, there very well could be value without being overly physical. But I just don’t see it. I think this is some guy trying to play big shot and make a call.

Being physical is usually a want too/attitude thing. This young man plays both ways and is either tackling or being tackled 30+ times in some games. Guys that don’t like contact won’t do that and even more of them, won’t do it as well as Sneed does.

You have to love football to take 12 carries for 109 yards, complete 7 of 14 passes, while making 21 tackles. That’s what football players do. Not soft workout warriors.

Amen. I would love to never hear about his "lack" of physicality again. Or at least until he has gone through a practice at ND.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score

That's kinda my line of thinking as well. don't get me wrong I appreciate the ability to be physical and a good tackler, but let's be honest. Defensive football today is predicated on the ability to play in space, especially with the way the violence and physicality is being taken away from the game.

Bottom line get the kid on campus and in the weight room and let the chips fall where they may with a dude with these physical skills. I just think we'll need to be patient with his progress. BK alluded to this the other day when asked about Prince Kollie. People seem to be shocked he's not on the field, but he mentioned that every player journey in college is unique and his is just taking a little more time. I can see this kid following a similar path.

22 Football Signees