2022 Fall Camp Thread

Wild Bill

Reaction score
I’ll put my money on the last choice. Patterson stays at LG. Correll stays at C and Kristofic finishes at RG when Lugg has another injury excusing I mean holding him back
Forgot about him. Damn they're deep.

tussin

I hate freedom
Reaction score
How good is Tyler Buchner?

Literally the only question that matters. If he’s Dayne Christ, I can see 6-6. If he’s Kizer or Book level, the floor is 9 wins.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
The OLine will be more than OK regardless (barring VERY bad luck with injury.)
Alt, Fisher, and Patterson are ALREADY elite. How the heck can you get anything
like "average" starting with that? Lugg will be fine at guard if Correll holds up.
Correll's issue will not be "moving people" as much as not buckling against the
power of the middle bull-rush. (The center is almost always blocking down in a
double team in our run offense. Watch how our centers and one guard will slant
down and "make a pile" on these plays). Patterson didn't have the buckling problem,
but even a VERY good ND center, Sam Mustipher, did, until the Joe Moore year.
Alt and Fisher will stop pocket collapse from the outside. Patterson and Lugg have
enough power inside, but Correll must not get buckled often and pushed into the
central pocket space --- that was our nightmare with Coan. It's not just the occasional
buckle, but that gets in the head of a center and he gets his feet wrong.

Well, all that is just me fretting. This line will be as good as Correll is at maintaining
central pocket integrity and us having a powerful running back who trusts and hits the
designed hole with speed and violence. It's why I favor one of our bigger more violent
RBs as the "ordinary" backfield occupant (assuming he can pick up the blitz too.)

WilliamWallace

Active Member, Yes
Reaction score
I’ll put my money on the last choice. Patterson stays at LG. Correll stays at C and Kristofic finishes at RG when Lugg has another injury excusing I mean holding him back
Agreed, and who better to assist in the development of Corell, than Patterson lining up right next to him.

WilliamWallace

Active Member, Yes
Reaction score
The OLine will be more than OK regardless (barring VERY bad luck with injury.)
Alt, Fisher, and Patterson are ALREADY elite. How the heck can you get anything
like "average" starting with that? Lugg will be fine at guard if Correll holds up.
Correll's issue will not be "moving people" as much as not buckling against the
power of the middle bull-rush. (The center is almost always blocking down in a
double team in our run offense. Watch how our centers and one guard will slant
down and "make a pile" on these plays). Patterson didn't have the buckling problem,
but even a VERY good ND center, Sam Mustipher, did, until the Joe Moore year.
Alt and Fisher will stop pocket collapse from the outside. Patterson and Lugg have
enough power inside, but Correll must not get buckled often and pushed into the
central pocket space --- that was our nightmare with Coan. It's not just the occasional
buckle, but that gets in the head of a center and he gets his feet wrong.

Well, all that is just me fretting. This line will be as good as Correll is at maintaining
central pocket integrity and us having a powerful running back who trusts and hits the
designed hole with speed and violence. It's why I favor one of our bigger more violent
RBs as the "ordinary" backfield occupant (assuming he can pick up the blitz too.)
I’m curious with Kelly gone how our OL might evolve between Rees, and HH, and ultimately MF. I’d like to know what MF wants to do offensively.

Dale

Reaction score
I don’t really know who in the schedule would cause Correll to lose his job. I also will never shake how good (relative) he was versus Bama no matter how bad he was at OG. We play OSU who has obviously some solid defensive talent but not fear striking and they aren’t taking the job away after Week 1 anyways. Then Clemson isn’t till Week 9 and everyone in America is going to look bad against that DL. This isn’t just who Correll would face but everyone else on the schedule:

Marshall - 40
Cal - 55
UNC - 97
BYU - 67
Stanford - 108
UNLV - 105
Syracuse - 56
Navy - 90
Boston College - 64
USC - 107

That’s 2021 end of year D SP+. Last year we played the #2, #9, #19, #20, #39 and #47 all before the Week 7 bye, those were literally the first 6 games.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m curious with Kelly gone how our OL might evolve between Rees, and HH, and ultimately MF. I’d like to know what MF wants to do offensively.
It’s probably just a coach cliche/fallback, but he talked at one point about establishing the run being his #1 priority. I believe the quote was about needing to run the ball, even when the opponent knows it’s coming.

(Sounds like a coach that’s confident his offense will put up points while his defense plays well, and is already preparing the clock-killing strategy for demoralizing his alma mater late in the game week one.)

T-Boone

Reaction score
I thought it was funny.

Still hope he loses every game at LSU, but I think he's a funny guy.
Agreed. I always though he was a good mix of informative, serious occasionally funny but that great sense of humour Driskell said he wasn’t funny so I always supposed I was wrong.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Agreed. I always though he was a good mix of informative, serious occasionally funny but that great sense of humour Driskell said he wasn’t funny so I always supposed I was wrong.
He's been trying too hard since the whole LSU thing (I assume out of some insecurity that he made the wrong decision) but, yes, BK has always had a great sense of humor in that slightly abrasive Boston way. Which, I'd grant, is not everyone's cup of tea (Driskell) but whatever.

CoachB

Reaction score
TB's arm angle is fine. That doesn't concern me one bit. As long as his feet are good, he is ok. Fundamentally he looks fine, IMO.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
TB's arm angle is fine. That doesn't concern me one bit. As long as his feet are good, he is ok. Fundamentally he looks fine, IMO.
Seriously? Agree he can play really good but I worry about short passes over line like screens when you are throwing it from such a low angle

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Phillip Rivers arm angle says hi....it can be done and at a high level
No doubt, but I hate when you try and make comparisons and there’s hardly any.

I expect Buchner to ball out, but I also think and worry we may have some wimbush moments like some of buchners throws last year.

We need to be able to execute screens and short passes to tyree at a high rate.

irishandy

Reaction score
I think our OL is going to be 10 times better than last year- credit Hiestand.

Mickey will get PT on defense and Merriweather will get PT on offense and they will contribute.

I think our younger WR's are going to take over, I've seen enough of the veteran WR's; of the veteran WR's Avery Davis will come up big for ND.

Glad to have football back!

arrowryan

Reaction score
If Jayden Thomas can turn into something, this team could exceed expectations this year. I’m a huge fan of a Styles-Davis-Merriweather-Thomas-Lenzy group.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
If Jayden Thomas can turn into something, this team could exceed expectations this year. I’m a huge fan of a Styles-Davis-Merriweather-Thomas-Lenzy group.
Maybe it's just b/c he was between tiny Lenzy and tall skinny Merriweather in that video but Thomas looks like a well-built dude. First WR off the bus, anyway.

And, yeah, it's really nice to have some actual football to talk about again instead of the daily Dante/Keeley/Bowen melodrama. We've just got to stay healthy at RB and WR. We have ballplayers, just not enough of them.

domer13

Reaction score

Hadn't seen this posted yet. Looks like we'll get 24-second clips to overanalyze. Buchner - 3 passes; Pyne - 1 pass