Sept 3 | Ohio State

CoachB

Reaction score
Agreed. Some are a little sensitive, but it's all good. It's all in fun. The only thing I would be disappointed to see is if state schools were trying to sell this to recruits. That state schools such as OSU give you an equivalent degree to an ND one and will open just as many doors. That just isn't true and takes away a big recruiting advantage we have.

BilboBaggins

Reaction score
Agreed. Some are a little sensitive, but it's all good. It's all in fun. The only thing I would be disappointed to see is if state schools were trying to sell this to recruits. That state schools such as OSU give you an equivalent degree to an ND one and will open just as many doors. That just isn't true and takes away a big recruiting advantage we have.
It would depend on the degree program, wouldn't it?

I also think there is a huge asterisk here, these are football players. How do you account for the near-celebrity status these guys have? Do we really think OSU football players with a degree have a hard time getting opportunities in Columbus or Ohio, or beyond? OSU alumni isn't exactly small.

The trump card is graduation rate. I think ND has one of the best deals in college football with an exceptional graduation rate (indicative that the school cares about your academic progress IMO), one of the best undergrad business programs, and championship contending football. But let's be real, isn't 1/3 of the football team in Film & Theatre Studies or whatever the major is called?

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Bingo. ND fans are sensitive to this because we're close to breaking into the top tier that OSU has occupied for the last decade or two, our academics are legitimately superior, and yet our rivals frequently straight-up lie about that to recruit against us.
It would depend on the degree program, wouldn't it?
In your case, yes. But how many 18yos are set on such a super specific degree that ND doesn't even offer?
I also think there is a huge asterisk here, these are football players. How do you account for the near-celebrity status these guys have? Do we really think OSU football players with a degree have a hard time getting opportunities in Columbus or Ohio, or beyond? OSU alumni isn't exactly small.
The guys who get to a big-time program and produce on the field can often dine out on that for the rest of their lives. But that's true at every big-time program, there aren't a lot of them, and even that is usually a more provincial and limited sort of "success" compared to what many of our student athletes end up doing after graduation.

And for the guys who don't produce on the field for some reason, no one gives a sh!t that you played for OSU back in the day. They end up as gym teachers and high school football coaches most of the time.
The trump card is graduation rate. I think ND has one of the best deals in college football with an exceptional graduation rate (indicative that the school cares about your academic progress IMO), one of the best undergrad business programs, and championship contending football. But let's be real, isn't 1/3 of the football team in Film & Theatre Studies or whatever the major is called?
Yes, ND's FGR, particularly for minority athletes, is significantly higher than OSU's.

AFAIK, most of our football players are in the Mendoza College of Business. FTT is the 2nd most common major, but even that course of study ain't remotely comparable to a "Communications" degree at a large state school.

BilboBaggins

Reaction score
Bingo. ND fans are sensitive to this because we're close to breaking into the top tier that OSU has occupied for the last decade or two, our academics are legitimately superior, and yet our rivals frequently straight-up lie about that to recruit against us.

In your case, yes. But how many 18yos are set on such a super specific degree that ND doesn't even offer?

The guys who get to a big-time program and produce on the field can often dine out on that for the rest of their lives. But that's true at every big-time program, there aren't a lot of them, and even that is usually a more provincial and limited sort of "success" compared to what many of our student athletes end up doing after graduation.

And for the guys who don't produce on the field for some reason, no one gives a sh!t that you played for OSU back in the day. They end up as gym teachers and high school football coaches most of the time.

Yes, ND's FGR, particularly for minority athletes, is significantly higher than OSU's.

AFAIK, most of our football players are in the Mendoza College of Business. FTT is the 2nd most common major, but even that course of study ain't remotely comparable to a "Communications" degree at a large state school.
I generally agree with this. I think both of our statements can be true.

ND offers what is arguably the best combination of academics and athletics. I think the experience they offer, down to the dorm situation, is second to none.

BilboBaggins

Reaction score
If you want to get a bachelors degree in accounting, education, engineering, etc there is nothing wrong with Ohio State. The argument is more which school is better. You can make a good life going to either school, but there’s no comparison between the degrees or the opportunities each offers.
Right well my degree is from OSU's College of Engineering, which USNWR says is "better" than ND. So do I get to claim my degree is better or not?

NumbersGuy0520

Reaction score
I can only speak to math and engineering, but having been a part of both universities, I can absolutely attest that NDs math and engineering programs (I’d even generalize to STEM) are far more rigorous than those of OSU.

BilboBaggins

Reaction score
What’s with Ohio State grads and ND fans?
I grew up an ND fan and went to OSU because my dad's death from army causes gave me a full ride to any Ohio public university via the state's war orphans scholarship. Didn't stop being an ND fan while at OSU because I didn't like the minor league setup and thought the way ND does things was pretty admirable. It probably helped that one of my roommates was a Michigan fan just going to OSU for the in-state tuition and we encouraged each other not to be OSU football fans. Good enough? Do I have your permission to be here?

Anyways, ND is considered far greater than Ohio State academically. No sane person would argue otherwise. Period.

That would really depend on the specific program, wouldn't it? No sane person would say that ND is better than OSU in every program top to bottom. I think an intelligent person would say that the particular college and program have a lot of bearing when you make that statement. This whole thing started when I suggested that arrogance shouldn't be matched with arrogance. A statement like "ND is considered far greater than Ohio State academically" doesn't mean jack to a Nursing student, for example.

I think ND alumni getting their rocks off on the exclusivity of ND is overplaying a hand. It's unnecessary and arguably a disservice to the Catholic underpinnings of the university ...and maybe even a slap in the face to the millions of non-alumni fans over the last century who are the main reason ND football *is* ND football and not Rice football.

But anyway for shits and giggles: 75% of an ND class has an ACT score of 32 or more, whereas just 25% of an OSU class. OSU freshman class size is 8,350. Notre Dame's freshman class is 2,053. If my OSU Engineering math checks out, the 25% of OSU's incoming class with a 32 or greater ACT score is larger than the entire Notre Dame class.

There is a fine line between taking pride in a school academic prowess and pitching to a recruit the opportunities and financial security of playing football at Notre Dame and earning, for example, one of the best undergrad business degrees in the country that will open up countless opportunities for you across the country... ...and fans painting with a broad brush that every program at ND is better than every program at X. It's just an erroneous and unnecessary statement IMO.

GoldenAura

Reaction score

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
I grew up an ND fan and went to OSU because my dad's death from army causes gave me a full ride to any Ohio public university via the state's war orphans scholarship. Didn't stop being an ND fan while at OSU because I didn't like the minor league setup and thought the way ND does things was pretty admirable. It probably helped that one of my roommates was a Michigan fan just going to OSU for the in-state tuition and we encouraged each other not to be OSU football fans. Good enough? Do I have your permission to be here?

That would really depend on the specific program, wouldn't it? No sane person would say that ND is better than OSU in every program top to bottom. I think an intelligent person would say that the particular college and program have a lot of bearing when you make that statement. This whole thing started when I suggested that arrogance shouldn't be matched with arrogance. A statement like "ND is considered far greater than Ohio State academically" doesn't mean jack to a Nursing student, for example.

I think ND alumni getting their rocks off on the exclusivity of ND is overplaying a hand. It's unnecessary and arguably a disservice to the Catholic underpinnings of the university ...and maybe even a slap in the face to the millions of non-alumni fans over the last century who are the main reason ND football *is* ND football and not Rice football.

But anyway for shits and giggles: 75% of an ND class has an ACT score of 32 or more, whereas just 25% of an OSU class. OSU freshman class size is 8,350. Notre Dame's freshman class is 2,053. If my OSU Engineering math checks out, the 25% of OSU's incoming class with a 32 or greater ACT score is larger than the entire Notre Dame class.

There is a fine line between taking pride in a school academic prowess and pitching to a recruit the opportunities and financial security of playing football at Notre Dame and earning, for example, one of the best undergrad business degrees in the country that will open up countless opportunities for you across the country... ...and fans painting with a broad brush that every program at ND is better than every program at X. It's just an erroneous and unnecessary statement IMO.
I'm sure Perkins School for the Blind has a better braille program than ND too. No, I don't think people sit back and say, you know, University of the Pacific has a better PT program than ND (they don't have one), so they're right on par as an academic institution. Just like I don't think if ND has more tackles inside the 30 than Ohio State, but loses 42-14 that means they're as good of a football team. Do I believe that OSU might have a better engineering program according to some ranking? Sure. Do I think many people know that or care? Not really. A good example is law school. For instance, Georgia has a higher ranked law school than Emory. Nobody would say that Georgia is a better academic institution than Emory, however. Would a law student be wise to save money and choose Georgia over Emory? Yes, I think so. Do I think OSU is a good school, ranked about #50 in the country. Sure. I am not really even sure what the debate is at this point. One is a good school. One is known as an elite academic institution. Even if you're right that Ohio State is a great school, which I don't think it is (I call it a good school), perception is reality. The perception is, for good reason, that ND is an elite academic institution and Ohio State is a good academic institution.

Last edited:

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Don’t be afraid of smack talk. It’s weakness to be afraid to talk smack. I hate that football is afraid of smack talk. True champions talk smack. Check boxing and mma. If I remember right, UofM talked mad smack abojt OSU b4 their game and they completely ass pounded Ohio State. Football culture is afraid of talking. Yet, once the game starts that’s all they do is talk shit. College football has a pansy culture. The best athletes in the world are known to talk mega trash way before the competition starts. If you’re not elite perhaps you shy from it. If you’re not confident and willing to state it, you won’t win regardless.
Weird example, considering it took them a full decade of smack talking to finally get a dub. I live in the mitten and the smack talk between those two programs and fan bases doesn't stop. It's not like 2021 was an aberration.

Last edited:

ND88

Reaction score
Ok, my last take on the subject, because I honestly don’t think it’s healthy. The whole “at your level” type thinking doesn’t cross anyone’s mind, ever — at least I hope it doesn’t. I have several ND alums in my personal and professional life (law), they are for the most part kind, conscientious, and highly intelligent people. That said, I’ve have not observed a shred of difference between them and the majority of OSU grads I know — who tend to be equal on all scores.
They were Notre Dame football fans also? All kidding aside, I’m sure there are plenty of great OSU grads such as yourself. (Congrats, btw.) I just wish I met less pompous fans of their football. I’m a Notre Dame fan, so I’m not a complete hypocrite, but that is one dickish fanbase. Maybe my sampling size of OSU fans needs to widen.

OhioIrish

Reaction score
They were Notre Dame football fans also? All kidding aside, I’m sure there are plenty of great OSU grads such as yourself. (Congrats, btw.) I just wish I met less pompous fans of their football. I’m a Notre Dame fan, so I’m not a complete hypocrite, but that is one dickish fanbase. Maybe my sampling size of OSU fans needs to widen.
100% agree. When I moved to Columbus I was indifferent. Within a year I was convinced it was the worst fanbase Id been around. Hence, I can’t hate Michigan, watching Michigan beat OSU is a delight. For the record, OSU fans might hate Michigan, but they truly, madly, deeply despise ND.

condoms SUCk

Varsity Club Member
Reaction score
IB saying today there’s been intel around the program that Buchner has taken his game to another level and people are underestimating just how good he will be. Driskell said “two sources” within the program told him this is the “best QB ND has had in a long time.”🤞
sounds nice..but I've fallen for the summer/fall camp hype machine wayyyyy too much to get super pumped about it..now those hot 3 sec vid clips, those are a differnt story.

NDBoiler

The Rep Machine
Reaction score
sounds nice..but I've fallen for the summer/fall camp hype machine wayyyyy too much to get super pumped about it..now those hot 3 sec vid clips, those are a differnt story.
But the hype has to hit eventually right? Right?

NDBoiler

The Rep Machine
Reaction score
IB saying today there’s been intel around the program that Buchner has taken his game to another level and people are underestimating just how good he will be. Driskell said “two sources” within the program told him this is the “best QB ND has had in a long time.”🤞
I shared this with my dad, his response: “calm down son, they said that about Ron Powlus too😂”.

The old man is keepin it real tonight.

TheRealLynch51

Reaction score
Sources close to the Gug indicate...
I'm going to take that info and run with it because I need some more ND positivity in my life. And when my heart gets broken again, I'll convince myself it's going to get better soon. The life of an ND fan.

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score
I'm going to take that info and run with it because I need some more ND positivity in my life. And when my heart gets broken again, I'll convince myself it's going to get better soon. The life of an ND fan.
Pretty easy for me to buy into a kid showing big improvement after getting a shot at playing football regularly. Didn't he kinda have rotten luck with injuries and COVID during high school?

arndtjc

Jameson in my coffee
Reaction score
So I know this isn’t the Buchner thread, but I’m squarely on the TB12 hype train. They didn’t let him loose a whole lot, but he showed a few glimpses of potentially elite stuff. Forgive linking my own tweet, but this pass to Kevin Austin was borderline erotic. He knew he was throwing to 4 the entire time, but looks off the safety to the left side of the field then drops a dime into KA who beat his man clean off the line.

With a full offseason in the books, this time as THE guy, I’m really excited to see what we get from the kid this fall

FWIrish4

Reaction score
So I know this isn’t the Buchner thread, but I’m squarely on the TB12 hype train. They didn’t let him loose a whole lot, but he showed a few glimpses of potentially elite stuff. Forgive linking my own tweet, but this pass to Kevin Austin was borderline erotic. He knew he was throwing to 4 the entire time, but looks off the safety to the left side of the field then drops a dime into KA who beat his man clean off the line.

With a full offseason in the books, this time as THE guy, I’m really excited to see what we get from the kid this fall

The best throw from him in this game is the Avery Davis post that set up the score before half. Right on the money.

arahop

Reaction score
If this is true, and we beat OSU and Buchner lights it for like 350 total yards and accounts for 4-5 TDs with one or fewer turnovers, you all can catch me scaling to the top of the Golden Dome that night. Just give ND a difference maker at QB