Sept 3 | Ohio State

INLaw

Reaction score
If this is true, and we beat OSU and Buchner lights it for like 350 total yards and accounts for 4-5 TDs with one or fewer turnovers, you all can catch me scaling to the top of the Golden Dome that night. Just give ND a difference maker at QB
When you do. Do you want me to bring a first aid kit or a fifth of Patron? Also dont do it. We never got our naked lap… so dont do that

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
The Buckeyes were the 97th best passing defense in the country, while being in the worst passing conference last year. Am I missing something or does did OR and Michigan run the ball on them?

INLaw

Reaction score
I dont know what to think. We usually lose to them. Recent “upsets” were an injured clemson and 2012 Oklahoma who statistically We were just equivalent too. Too my soft tequilad brain (celebrating ausberry gave me the excuse to partake), Lou Holtz straight upset some better teams and out coached them. Since Lou I have no memory of anyone else doing that. OSU last year great offense. Pedestrian defense. Can we beat em? Yep. Will we? i wouldn’t bet the mortgage on it.

arahop

Reaction score
When you do. Do you want me to bring a first aid kit or a fifth of Patron? Also dont do it. We never got our naked lap… so dont do that
Lol I wouldn't really do it haha but I would feel like I could. If the Irish find a way to beat OSU at the show, it would be NDs biggest win in a long long long time. If Buchner turns out to be elite, man on man what a bright future the program would have. When ND beat Oklahoma in 2012 that was huge. This game would be way bigger than that as far as the program is concerned. The Irish could then claim the Big 10 Championship lol. No chance Michigan beats them again.

INLaw

Reaction score
Lol I wouldn't really do it haha but I would feel like I could. If the Irish find a way to beat OSU at the show, it would be NDs biggest win in a long long long time. If Buchner turns out to be elite, man on man what a bright future the program would have. When ND beat Oklahoma in 2012 that was huge. This game would be way bigger than that as far as the program is concerned. The Irish could then claim the Big 10 Championship lol. No chance Michigan beats them again.
Everything you said is correct. I have trouble seeing it happen but god do I hope. Keep in mind I am in the category of people who hate watches every game and a win is a relief not joy and losses are misery and dread

arahop

Reaction score
Everything you said is correct. I have trouble seeing it happen but god do I hope. Keep in mind I am in the category of people who hate watches every game and a win is a relief not joy and losses are misery and dread
I still get pumped thinking of Cierre Wood housing it 55 yards up the middle for the first TD in the 2012 Sooner game. I'm with you when we lose to teams that have more to equal talent, all I do is bitch and moan about not having enough 5 star game changers. I think we will see that change and are seeing it change.

INLaw

Reaction score
I still get pumped thinking of Cierre Wood housing it 55 yards up the middle for the first TD in the 2012 Sooner game. I'm with you when we lose to teams that have more to equal talent, all I do is bitch and moan about not having enough 5 star game changers. I think we will see that change and are seeing it change.
Definitely were heading in that direction until name image and likeness came to mean paying players to attend like smu

INLaw

Reaction score
But since i said that my vote would be id rather we were in a pure amateur league woth harvard and dartmouth then a pure minot league to appease espn and the racist south (no offense t town and bishop)

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
Anybody else have any suspicion that his injury for the blue/gold game was just ND trying to keep OSU in the dark? Not that he probably could have played, but the entire thing? lol

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
I've felt this way since it happened, but what really hit it home were the reports that he is a straight up baller and the best QB ND has had in a long time.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Debbie Downer time!

We heard the same stuff about Wimbush. And he WAS a dynamic athlete... but gameday accuracy was his downfall, regardless of what sources inside the Gug said about his arm during practice hours.

NDohio

Reaction score
Debbie Downer time!

We heard the same stuff about Wimbush. And he WAS a dynamic athlete... but gameday accuracy was his downfall, regardless of what sources inside the Gug said about his arm during practice hours.
That was under the old coaching staff...Surely this new group would never lead us down that path again...

lcaps20

Reaction score
Debbie Downer time!

Wasn't there always conflicting reports with Wimbush? Like the "When he's on look out" type stuff, but then someone else was always quick with the caution. I can't remember which site but there was the report that one analyst had that he was having trouble even hitting the throwing net during QB warmups.

arahop

Reaction score
Anybody else have any suspicion that his injury for the blue/gold game was just ND trying to keep OSU in the dark? Not that he probably could have played, but the entire thing? lol
I think I remember Prister saying that if it where a game he would definitely play. He looked really comfortable on the sidelines from what I observed.

WildMan1

Reaction score
I dont know what to think. We usually lose to them. Recent “upsets” were an injured clemson and 2012 Oklahoma who statistically We were just equivalent too. Too my soft tequilad brain (celebrating ausberry gave me the excuse to partake), Lou Holtz straight upset some better teams and out coached them. Since Lou I have no memory of anyone else doing that. OSU last year great offense. Pedestrian defense. Can we beat em? Yep. Will we? i wouldn’t bet the mortgage on it.
When’s the last time we’ve had this much depth in the front 7? Field corner is up in the air but the depth is there for someone to rise up..

Joseph solidifies what would have otherwise been a major gap..

The D line is as deep & talented as we’ve seen in decades.. LBs as well.

I don’t think we see the typical ND flop..

But with that said, there’s still a ton of unknowns with how Freeman coaches the game & wether or not Tyler is ready to steer the offense.

And those are big ifs.. If Tyler isn’t ready or capable it all crumbles.. we don’t have enough offensive firepower to mask mediocre QB play.

He will need to get us those pesky 1st downs on 3rd & 4 with his legs & be able to use that threat to open up the lanes for Mayer..

Between Styles & Colzie there is a breakout player here.. my guess is Styles steps up as a major threat. If we’re fortunate Jayden finds a role & Lenzy finally puts it all together.. I’ve never been a big Avery Davis guy.. he’s dependable but has never done much to change a defensive game plan..

Looks like Diggs will be back sooner than expected but not sure if ready for Columbus.. would be massive if so.

No reason to think we can’t win this game.. our D can keep us in it.. it really comes down to Tyler..

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
That was under the old coaching staff...Surely this new group would never lead us down that path again...

Coaches and players are temporary. Sources Inside The Gug are forever.

I found 9tothetemple and Putuporshutup’s sock account

You'll never take me alive.

Wasn't there always conflicting reports with Wimbush? Like the "When he's on look out" type stuff, but then someone else was always quick with the caution. I can't remember which site but there was the report that one analyst had that he was having trouble even hitting the throwing net during QB warmups.

Yeah there were some warning signs, but early in camp prior to '17, there were a few well-placed sources saying "disregard anything you might hear... Wimbush is elite, period." I heard that from a former player that had been around camp for a couple of days, and I'm pretty sure one or two of the other mods heard much the same from other sources.

None of this is to say that Buchner isn't the real deal. Just urging caution before the train jumps the tracks too early lol.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
I think I remember Prister saying that if it where a game he would definitely play. He looked really comfortable on the sidelines from what I observed.
I'm talking that it didn't happen. Like, he wasn't injured whatsoever.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
OSU defense has been bad. Enter Jim Knowles....who's first year defenses, historically, haven't been great....but has a knack for churning out great defenses after year one....he also DC'd the bowl game last year where he shut down ND's offense in the second half. Who has the leg-up?

ND's defense has been legit, but will it be firing on all cylinders under new DC Golden versus what could be another potent OSU offense? Who has the leg-up?

Lastly, my recency bias with ND in big games has me in a pretty pessimistic state. Does the new culture and vibe under Freeman make up the difference in BK's CEO approach in these games?

What does everyone think?

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
I'm talking that it didn't happen. Like, he wasn't injured whatsoever.

I think that would be kind of sus if so. Remember when ND guys were faking on the field injuries bc they were tired? I can’t remember which game. It was kind of embarrassing. Not that it’s a super rare thing. I sprained my ankle playing spike ball at the beach in June and finished the game w/it sprained bc I was drunk and it didn’t hurt until the next day when it swelled up and was purple. I was walking on it in 3 days. 100% after 3 weeks and I’m an old man. I think him being fine in on sideline is consistent with a mild sprain. Also, if you were going to fake it with the media, wouldn’t you come up with a better story than tripling on steps?

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
I found 9tothetemple and Putuporshutup’s sock account
sorry it's hard for some to understand that coaches will publicly over hype players to try and help build their confidence or the opposite if they feel they are too confident.

I'm high on buchner but I am not going to be on a heisman hype train until i see him read defenses and make tough throws all game vs OSU. I don't love his throwing motion.

Last edited:

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
sorry it's hard for some to understand that coaches will publicly over hype players to try and help build their confidence or the opposite if they feel they are too confident.

I'm high on buchner but I am not going to be on a heisman hype train until i see him read defenses and make tough throws all game vs OSU.

I’m not high on him. I see no reason to be yet. While he did have a higher completion percentage than Pyne last year, he made quite a few errant throws and imo was not played enough. The spring game would’ve been nice to get him out there, in front of fans, in a live situation. He needs all the game time he can get b4 he walks into Ohio Stadium. I’m anxiously and cautiously optimistic, but he’s never been a CJ Carr in the accuracy department, which is what really matters at the end of the day. He had a lot of yards in high school and did a few things well last season when he was rarely allowed to throw. Other than that, there’s no data. The running thing won’t work for long unless he’s accurate and consistently so. I’m hoping Rees turns him into an accuracy machine.

I hope he did 99% of his plays in practice as pocket passer first. He will have the tendency to bail the pocket and run with even the slightest pressure I’m afraid. He will be very frustrated if Ohio State is able to stuff him at the line of scrimmage or sack him for losses. I’m not sure he’s ever experienced that before. He’s going to have to be very comfortable with his arm talent to succeed against the elite teams.

Last edited:

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
None of this is to say that Buchner isn't the real deal. Just urging caution before the train jumps the tracks too early lol.
giphy.gif

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Debbie Downer time!

To be fair, there was a lot of press talking about how bad Wimbush's accuracy was in their observations. So far we've not heard anything like that about Buchner. We'll see post practice today I guess. Dream scenario we hear the following:

1) Buchner is a faster Ian Book with a deep ball.
2) Merriweather is going to be an alpha sooner rather than later.
3) Estime is more than just a bodybuilder and looks like an RB1.

Hammer Of The Gods

Reaction score
I just don't see us stopping their receivers.

Will TB be able to read the defense or will he just bail out and get ran down by their super humans?