Oct 9 | Virginia Tech

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok then I’ll pause my disbelief for a bit and wait patiently for Saturday.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
If the OL doesn't get their shit together, I could see VT winning by two touchdowns.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
Random thoughts: I have no idea what to make of VT this year... their results are a bit mixed. If any game might be good to have the opponent coming off a bye this might be it?? I'm sure they all watched that shit show last week. They are college kids so,... Maybe that's a good thing?? If it is indeed Pyne then getting him settled early could be vital. It's one thing to come in late with little to lose, another thing to start on the road against a good crowd waiting for you to screw up your first ever start. Really wish the o line could get the running game going... if this week goes bad, things could start to spiral pretty quick. We will find out about this team and BK over the next month, that's for sure.

Last edited:

IRISHMAN

Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/petesampson_/status/1445054085066076172?s=21[/TWEET]

I have no words. I don’t know how anyone watches what we all saw on Saturday and goes with anyone but Pyne.

I don't pay any attention to the weekly depth chart, I don't think they keep the depth chart accurately updated anyway.

irishff1014

Reaction score
I don’t even want 9-3 at this point I just want to beat the condoms, beat Stanford, beat navy, and win the bowl…..beat the big rivals and finish the season with a win, get to the offseason to figure shit the fuck out or factory reset this program.

This will set the program back years. The recruits want to win. It’s proof that winning and having coaches that can recruit have helped our recruiting tremendously.

Irishize

Reaction score
Heard or read where the VT defense would be the best we faced so far. Can anyone confirm? I think they references FEI and some other metric.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
Heard or read where the VT defense would be the best we faced so far. Can anyone confirm? I think they references FEI and some other metric.

Probably SP+ but that's now behind a paywall at ESPN and has resigned itself to a slow death.

Virginia Tech is 26th is defensive FEI.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...i/overall/2021

EDIT: If it makes anybody feel better, Wisconsin and Cincinnati are 4th and 5th overall in defensive FEI, respectively. Notre Dame is 8th.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
with NDs OL being a mess along with the rest of the offense I don't see where on the schedule you get 5 more wins to finish the season at 9-3. we are going to see how much of a difference having drew pyne start the game will have on the offense, still think he gets sacked 5 times vs VT.

The schedule isn't terribly difficult going forward, especially if we play better with Pyne under Center so he can escape and move the pocket. That said, we just played two teams that had two weeks to prepare for us, the next three teams also get a BYE, and one more team has one later. That's a lot of extra preparation to combat.

tko

I am Legend
Reaction score
It's incredible how many of our opponents get 1 or 2 weeks to prepare for us.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
The schedule isn't terribly difficult going forward, especially if we play better with Pyne under Center so he can escape and move the pocket. That said, we just played two teams that had two weeks to prepare for us, the next three teams also get a BYE, and one more team has one later. That's a lot of extra preparation to combat.

We going back to play action? :smilewinkgrin:

Regardless of what the depth chart shows, I will be shocked if Pyne doesn't start. BK could just be listing Coan to keep VT guessing.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Random thoughts: I have no idea what to make of VT this year... their results are a bit mixed. If any game might be good to have the opponent coming off a bye this might be it?? I'm sure they all watched that shit show last week. They are college kids so,... Maybe that's a good thing?? If it is indeed Pyne then getting him settled early could be vital. It's one thing to come in late with little to lose, another thing to start on the road against a good crowd waiting for you to screw up your first ever start. Really wish the o line could get the running game going... if this week goes bad, things could start to spiral pretty quick. We will find out about this team and BK over the next month, that's for sure.

Same. They're 3-1 and lost their only road game to WVU. They don't seem to score points. 17 at home in the opender against UNC, and UNC's defense has had nothing but issues since then.

The VT coach is on the hot seat and allegedly has people with power and deep pockets not on his good side. He's in Year Six and nothing has really happened with this program since he got there. The Sun Belt has a couple of pretty good coaches who could get looks for this job. I think he needs to in this game pretty badly along with all of their home games left.

ND teams under Kelly typically don't lose two in a row and respond to losses. It all hinges on using one QB and keeping the rhythm of the game for that guy.

So I hope Drew Pyne comes out of Blacksburg with a win.

mango4

Reaction score

How much of that bye weeks is on the ACC? It seems like every ACC team we have on our schedule has a bye before they play us.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Same. They're 3-1 and lost their only road game to WVU. They don't seem to score points. 17 at home in the opender against UNC, and UNC's defense has had nothing but issues since then.

The VT coach is on the hot seat and allegedly has people with power and deep pockets not on his good side. He's in Year Six and nothing has really happened with this program since he got there. The Sun Belt has a couple of pretty good coaches who could get looks for this job. I think he needs to in this game pretty badly along with all of their home games left.

ND teams under Kelly typically don't lose two in a row and respond to losses. It all hinges on using one QB and keeping the rhythm of the game for that guy.

So I hope Drew Pyne comes out of Blacksburg with a win.

Not just this, but before the season on at least 1 podcast, guys on the Irish beat were hearing it's likely that Fuente would be fired before or immediately after the game.

I don't know why it never worked out for him in Blacksburg, I thought he was a good coach at Memphis.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
I don't know why it never worked out for him in Blacksburg, I thought he was a good coach at Memphis.

I think Memphis is showing that you should stay away from their coaches like the plague. Justin Fuente, Mike Norvell, Chip Long...

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
I think Memphis is showing that you should stay away from their coaches like the plague. Justin Fuente, Mike Norvell, Chip Long...

Well Chip Long was...a non-play calling OC of Memphis while Norvell was the real brains there. Fuente and Norvell both did well there, imo.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Just read an article on The Athletic. VT writer mentions their offense is floundering primarily due to QB struggles. DB's are the strength of the D. Thinks it will be low scoring with the Irish winning a close one.

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
Just read an article on The Athletic. VT writer mentions their offense is floundering primarily due to QB struggles. DB's are the strength of the D. Thinks it will be low scoring with the Irish winning a close one.

Sounds about right. Probably comes down to turnovers/defensive scores. Also whose kicker shows up. I am cautiously optimistic Pyne adds a new dimension to our offense that a) addition by subtracting negative plays and b) more chaos potential from extending plays.

benneboy

Reaction score
With Mayer banged up, no running game, and Dbs being their strength... this sounds like another long afternoon for the offense.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
With Mayer banged up, no running game, and Dbs being their strength... this sounds like another long afternoon for the offense.

I have been harping on this but I will say it again. I would like to see ND actually spread out an opposing defense. Without Mayer perhaps there are some 4 WR looks they can try. It probably helps Kyren and Tyree as well given their athleticism and the ineffectiveness of the extra blocker(s) in the run game.

Last edited:

tko

I am Legend
Reaction score
Mayer is hurt? I guess I missed that since I turned off last week's game.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Mayer is hurt? I guess I missed that since I turned off last week's game.

Kelly said he's been nursing a groin injury all season. He was toughing it out against Cinci, but you could tell after plays he was hobbled.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Per BK
Michael Mayer....adductor strain, which was good news. It wasn't something that we felt like we couldn't manage, so we'll be managing him during the week and he'll be able to play this weekend but we'll be smart with him.

Carmody still struggling with the ankle. Still up in the air at this time. Hinish is looking like he's a go, but needs clearance from the medical staff.

BK said he thought some of Austin's issue is not getting spelled more so he's fresher late in the game. Look for the freshmen to see more playing time in the first half

Irishize

Reaction score
Kelly said he's been nursing a groin injury all season. He was toughing it out against Cinci, but you could tell after plays he was hobbled.

I wonder if trying to leap defenders led to that groin injury? Didn’t he leap one on the first play of the FSU game? He may have tweaked it but was was still able to play through until this past Saturday. I wouldn’t expect to see him as much this Sat

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I wonder if trying to leap defenders led to that groin injury? Didn’t he leap one on the first play of the FSU game? He may have tweaked it but was was still able to play through until this past Saturday. I wouldn’t expect to see him as much this Sat

We saw him too much last Saturday as it was. It was clear early on that something was hobbling him, but he kept trotting out there and making plays. Going to the well too often, some other receivers have to step up.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
We saw him too much last Saturday as it was. It was clear early on that something was hobbling him, but he kept trotting out there and making plays. Going to the well too often, some other receivers have to step up.

Agreed....I say shut him down for this week and piggy back it with the bye week that way he's healthy for the last few months.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
SP+ basically has this as a toss-up. Favors us by only 0.2 points.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/espn_billc/status/1445718730626027521?s=21[/TWEET]