Monkey Pox

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Monkeypox isn't fatal in 99% of cases... but can be deadly to children under 8, as well as pregnant women or women who are breastfeeding.

Welp, I've got three kids under 8 and a wife who is breastfeeding. Almost worries me more than Covid in a way.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
Monkeypox isn't fatal in 99% of cases... but can be deadly to children under 8, as well as pregnant women or women who are breastfeeding.

Welp, I've got three kids under 8 and a wife who is breastfeeding. Almost worries me more than Covid in a way.
I've been following it for a couple months. This has my concern level a tad higher.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
If you are queer and sexual you are number one for risk. One third of current cases are in NYC. Michigan has 23 cases all in the Detroit or Grand Rapids areas. Vaccines are way behind in quantities needed at the moment. Thought that this will be a catastrophic health crisis is irrational to me, but given our immaturity and foolishness as a nation, I suppose anything is possible.

MacIrish75

Tier 6 Dogshit Poster
Reaction score
If you are queer and sexual you are number one for risk. One third of current cases are in NYC. Michigan has 23 cases all in the Detroit or Grand Rapids areas. Vaccines are way behind in quantities needed at the moment. Thought that this will be a catastrophic health crisis is irrational to me, but given our immaturity and foolishness as a nation, I suppose anything is possible.
So as long as my four kids under 8 stay away from any butt stuff at daycare, they should be okay?

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Declaring this an emergency doesn't necessarily mean it's going to spread to a COVID like situation; it does allow the federal government to allocate more money and resources to get out ahead of this, that's the main thing. I'm not a point where I'm worried yet, but unlike Lion, I don't have many loved ones in that risk category.

Hopefully they can nip this thing in the bud and get the at-risk population vaccinated as needed. I'm net ready for another epidemic.

MacIrish75

Tier 6 Dogshit Poster
Reaction score
This requires a mask on your downstairs - you can get flavors on this mask! They even have them in the bathroom for a buck at gas stations!
And just when you thought there was no good reason to argue against a ban on contraceptives…

Sea Turtle

Reaction score

It's one of those 'intimate contact' things based on skin-to-skin transmission, so perhaps the public will have an easier time with helping slow transmission than they did with Covid.
98% of cases are gay men. Stay away from gay orgies and anonymous gay sex and I think we'll all be fine.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
Are children just naturally more susceptible to adults that are infected? I'm having a hard time figuring out how kids get it if it's primarily the homosexual population seeing the spread.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Are children just naturally more susceptible to adults that are infected? I'm having a hard time figuring out how kids get it if it's primarily the homosexual population seeing the spread.

Not more susceptible to infection, but in the event they get it, much more difficult for them to shake it. At least that’s my understanding

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
It can also be spread by coming in contact with infected bedding, clothing, etc. Better start traveling with the UV light…….

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
Stay away from gay orgies and anonymous gay sex and I think we'll all be fine.
im-doing-my-part-serious.gif

INLaw

Reaction score
We already had one monkeypox outbreak in 2003, I believe.
Yeah caused by pet prairie dogs who were contaminated by being situated too close to Gambian rats that were infected and sold at exotic shows. Having had a pet prairie dog at the time it was something I was super paying attention to. Also Gambian rats are huge it’s a crazy looking animal worthy of a google search

Reaper97

Reaction score

A few things about this from an actual evidence based medicine standpoint:

1) This is more dangerous to your young children & breastfeeding wife than Covid. Children and breastfeeding women were fine from Covid despite all the panic for no reason, but….

2) I would be absolutely shocked if your children or wife got monkey pox, but…

3) Even if they did get it, saying it is more dangerous than Covid is a misleading statement because Covid wasn’t very dangerous to otherwise healthy children.
It’s like saying a 160lbs man is fatter than a 155lbs man. Neither are actually fat.

4) You should be infinitely more nervous every time your children or wife get in a car than you should be about Covid or monkeypox if your family is otherwise healthy. If your healthy children got the sniffles and low grade fever, they would be in more danger driving to the doctor than from the almost every virus they have.

Just wash hands, eat healthy, hydrate, exercise, get sleep & they all will be fine.