Gameday/Notre Dame for Visitors, and First Timers

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score
I cannot stress enough how overrated and divey the Linebacker is. I think you'd have better options to enjoy a libation, especially given that it's not a football weekend, just my $0.02.

It sounds like you're staying either near Eddy St or Ivy Court, either way O'Rourke's is a better sports bar. If you're heading downtown and want a local bar experience, Corby's > Linebacker. I'm sure others disagree, again this is just my own opinion haha.
But...it's the Backer!

tevye-tradition.gif

bumpdaddy

Reaction score
I'm going to be in town and staying across the street from campus next weekend. Planning on hitting the Linebacker for evening beers, but any suggestions on good places to eat relatively nearby?
Rocco's has great pizza and it's an ND fan-favorite. I prefer them over Barnaby's but I love Barnaby's too. If you like a little more upscale Italian but not too upscale, Carmela's at Macri's is very good. If you like to do the tourist thing - and there's nothing wrong with that - you could always eat at Legends or Rohr's (Morris Inn) which are both on campus.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
I'll be looking to buy 2 tickets to a home game this year. Please let me know if you have some you will be selling.

forkbeard3777

Reaction score
  • As mentioned earlier in this thread, we'll be coming in for the Pitt game. Are decent tickets relatively easy to get? Pitt is a decent enough "name", but they certainly aren't Ohio State or USC; thus, I presume we shouldn't have too much of an issue. Even if we had to resort to Ticketmaster and their inordinate fees, I just thought we should be able to snag a couple of good ones at a reasonable price.

• Also, still plenty of time to go, but let's say we have some time to kill early Friday morning, is there anything in Mishawaka worth checking out?

• Any breweries (or craft beer bars) in South Bend that you'd recommend?

• Also, is it worth driving to one of the towns (New Buffalo, Michigan City) to check out Lake Michigan? Indiana Dunes NP would probably eat too much of the day up to, don't ya think? I've honestly never seen any of the great lakes, but I certainly don't want to go if you all think it would be a waste of time as well. Also, I'm hesitant given the timing (late October). It may be pretty damn cold.

Last edited:

pumpdog20

Reaction score
For those not familiar yet, Shamrock Pass is coming back. I plan to do that again once available.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
Are there usually hotels available in South Bend for home games? Or am i going to have to try to drive from Chicago to South Bend?

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Are there usually hotels available in South Bend for home games? Or am i going to have to try to drive from Chicago to South Bend?

What game are you going for? South Bend hotels might be pricy, but if you're okay being 15-20 minutes from campus the cost drops quite a bit.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
What game are you going for? South Bend hotels might be pricy, but if you're okay being 15-20 minutes from campus the cost drops quite a bit.
IDK what game right now but probably in Sept. id most likely be flying in/out of Chicago but also looking to spend a day or so in Chicago sightseeing with my kid. Im not opposed to finding somewhere between South Bend and Chicago.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
IDK what game right now but probably in Sept. id most likely be flying in/out of Chicago but also looking to spend a day or so in Chicago sightseeing with my kid. Im not opposed to finding somewhere between South Bend and Chicago.

I've personally never stayed in Chicago when going to a game, but I know they do a bunch of busses and shuttles, and I believe there's also the South Shore train that goes to South Bend Airport (unless things have changed since I've been there). A good option could be staying in Mishawaka the night before (Friday is usually much cheaper than Saturday) which will have you about 10 minutes from campus. Personally think there is too much to do in just 1 day, so a night can give you some time there the night before for the Pep Rally and campus exploring a bit, and then Saturday more of the same, tailgating, and the game.

I will be out for a September game TBD as well.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Agreed with ND23, This will save you a ton of money. The closer to SB, the more expensive the hotel. We usually get a BnB or a hotel about 30-45 minutes outside of ND to save.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
  • As mentioned earlier in this thread, we'll be coming in for the Pitt game. Are decent tickets relatively easy to get? Pitt is a decent enough "name", but they certainly aren't Ohio State or USC; thus, I presume we shouldn't have too much of an issue. Even if we had to resort to Ticketmaster and their inordinate fees, I just thought we should be able to snag a couple of good ones at a reasonable price.

• Also, still plenty of time to go, but let's say we have some time to kill early Friday morning, is there anything in Mishawaka worth checking out?

• Any breweries (or craft beer bars) in South Bend that you'd recommend?

• Also, is it worth driving to one of the towns (New Buffalo, Michigan City) to check out Lake Michigan? Indiana Dunes NP would probably eat too much of the day up to, don't ya think? I've honestly never seen any of the great lakes, but I certainly don't want to go if you all think it would be a waste of time as well. Also, I'm hesitant given the timing (late October). It may be pretty damn cold.
Yes, public tickets go on sale usually in mid June, and I'd all but guarantee that Pitt will have some availability once tickets go on sale. Usually someone posts about the public ticket sales under General Team info or something similar. It'll be common knowledge once they announce the official date.

I'll let others speak to it but Mishawaka is just a regular old town, places to eat, drink and there's a mall. Idk what you're looking for, but I'd prioritize sight seeing on campus on Friday over Saturday; Saturday will be an absolute zoo.

We actually just went to Crooked Ewe Brewery & Ale House during the Spring Game a couple of weekends ago and enjoyed it. Pretty busy though, and that wasn't even a game weekend.

Can't really speak to the last one, I've seen plenty of Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes are beautiful, but I've never done it in the Michiana area.

Last edited:

arndtjc

Jameson in my Jameson
Reaction score
Agreed with ND23, This will save you a ton of money. The closer to SB, the more expensive the hotel. We usually get a BnB or a hotel about 30-45 minutes outside of ND to save.

Chesterton is where I stay. Halfway between Midway and SB, and the main drag is a ton of fun with a good mix of good food and beer and dive bars. Had many a good nights in the big C

arndtjc

Jameson in my Jameson
Reaction score
As for tickets…patience is your best friend. I’ve bought face value tickets the last few trips and have been absolutely burnt. Day of game for the last two USC trips you could sit midfield lower bowl for $40 plus fees on stubhub.

All depends on how much you’re willing to gamble. I’m not buying tickets til day of game from now on

irishff1014

Reaction score

We stayed at Home2 Suites (Hampton) in Elkhart. It was like a 15-20 min drive. The staff was excellent. The hotel was clean.

Elkhart had some good food. I don’t like going to chain restaurants out of town when I can go to them at home. We went to Smokin’ Fattys BBQ it was very good. We wanted to try Chubby trout right next door to the hotel but they were always extremely busy. We went to Flippin’ Cow it’s a burger joint that people told us about but I didn’t think it was anything more than average.

forkbeard3777

Reaction score
Yes, public tickets go on sale usually in mid June, and I'd all but guarantee that Pitt will have some availability once tickets go on sale. Usually someone posts about the public ticket sales under General Team info or something similar. It'll be common knowledge once they announce the official date.

I'll let others speak to it but Mishawaka is just a regular old town, places to eat, drink and there's a mall. Idk what you're looking for, but I'd prioritize sight seeing on campus on Friday over Saturday; Saturday will be an absolute zoo.

We actually just went to Crooked Ewe Brewery & Ale House during the Spring Game a couple of weekends ago and enjoyed it. Pretty busy though, and that wasn't even a game weekend.

Can't really speak to the last one, I've seen plenty of Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes are beautiful, but I've never done it in the Michiana area.
Thanks for the info. When I should have been working, I was messing around on Google Maps and the distance to Lake Michigan is a little further than I thought. It looks like an approximate 1 1/2 - 2 hour round trip. Given our Thursday evening arrival, it doesn’t seem to warrant going out of the way for.

Also, regarding Mishawaka, well, we’re spitting distance away from it and the cities seemingly appear to run together (South Bend and Mishawaka). Respectfully, I’ve heard very so-so things about South Bend, as a city, so, I was just curious if it was worth running into Mishawaka for a couple of hours — especially if they had a good brewery, ND centric restaurant or bar, etc.

If nothing warrants heading that way, we’ll likely just stay in South Bend / Notre Dame

drayer54

Reaction score
I cannot stress enough how overrated and divey the Linebacker is. I think you'd have better options to enjoy a libation, especially given that it's not a football weekend, just my $0.02.

It sounds like you're staying either near Eddy St or Ivy Court, either way O'Rourke's is a better sports bar. If you're heading downtown and want a local bar experience, Corby's > Linebacker. I'm sure others disagree, again this is just my own opinion haha.
Nobody goes to the backer because it is nice. At least get a drink there.

pumpdog20

Reaction score
this was the 3 game series? Were all your seats upper deck?
No, this was a ticket to every game just a different seat each game. I honestly don't remember sitting in the upper deck but we were mostly in the corner or end zone with the video board. So that kinda sucked. But last year it was $500 per person, so a lot better then the season ticket when "donation" is taken into consideration.

texbender

Reaction score
No, this was a ticket to every game just a different seat each game. I honestly don't remember sitting in the upper deck but we were mostly in the corner or end zone with the video board. So that kinda sucked. But last year it was $500 per person, so a lot better then the season ticket when "donation" is taken into consideration.
That sounds like a decent deal. I am season ticket holder for 6 tix. The 2 in Section 103 (north east corner of stadium) cost me $1175 each. Quite the penalty to be a season ticket holder. Even worse for the 4 in Section 10.

arrowryan

Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, but I'm looking for a Joyce Lot/Stadium Lot parking pass for the Ohio State game. If anyone is looking to part ways with one, let me know.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, but I'm looking for a Joyce Lot/Stadium Lot parking pass for the Ohio State game. If anyone is looking to part ways with one, let me know.
Man, I don't even want to know how much those are going for on the ticket sites. But that's going to be a helluva party

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score
Man, I don't even want to know how much those are going for on the ticket sites. But that's going to be a helluva party
We'll be there in the Stadium Lot, but we ain't giving up the pass :cool: They do go for crazy cash on ticket sites.

GrangerIrish24

I bring nothing to the table
Reaction score
The tailgating scene in the stadium and Joyce lots are always crazy for night games. Throw in a top 5 opponent that never plays in South Bend, it should be a blast.
When we started back up with the night games in 2011 against SC, I didnt make it past 5 o'clock. Learned hard that day the concept of pacing myself. Skipped the game and spent 2 hours looking for my truck only to later realize I road with a buddy who left without telling me. Gave up and wound up hanging out with a random group that was watching the game on the tv they set up in the lot. That was a loooong day.

forkbeard3777

Reaction score
When we started back up with the night games in 2011 against SC, I didnt make it past 5 o'clock. Learned hard that day the concept of pacing myself. Skipped the game and spent 2 hours looking for my truck only to later realize I road with a buddy who left without telling me. Gave up and wound up hanging out with a random group that was watching the game on the tv they set up in the lot. That was a loooong day.
:ROFLMAO: God that's great. I spit out my coffee reading that comment.

Last edited: