Cal Postgame Thread

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
I honestly thought Mayer was expressing frustration with himself for not elevating sooner and pulling the ball in.

They showed him on the sidelines telling Pyne something like “hey, we’re alright!” trying to keep Pyne going after an off-target throw.
Didn’t the booth confirm as much? Sounded like Mayer was trying to encourage Pyne.

ulukinatme

Powlus for QB 2023!
Reaction score
I liked this tho.

Some players need this and respond accordingly. Seemed to work for Drew. He said freshman year he saw Book on the other end of it so the tongue lashing didn't phase him.

ulukinatme

Powlus for QB 2023!
Reaction score
Apparently Diggs was sick this week.
When he comes back try him out at receiver.
Na, Tyree is your receiver if you're putting a guy out there. Diggs is the better blocker anyway. Tyree did have some good carries once the OL got their shit together. He and Estime were able to find yards.

ulukinatme

Powlus for QB 2023!
Reaction score
I'm old and stuff, but I can remember the first purple face BK against South Florida directed at Tom... Tommy learned from the guy who left us empty handed.
I've still got my Sportscrack.com shirt with purple faced Kelly and the caption "Don't poke the bear!" It's a favorite, wish they still sold it. I find it funnier now.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
As with last week, I think if the QBs are flipped that ND wins by 20+. Just unbelievable how uncomfortable a upper classman QB at Notre Dame is. Doesn't matter if he isnt the most physically gifted, he should be able to operate the offense against a mediocre opponent without shitting his pants.

We felt like this during a lot of Book’s tenure too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
Tommy called the game for Pyne that he should have called for Buchner, but at least he finally called it.

Speaking of Pyne, man the talent in the QB room is as low as I’ve ever seen at Notre Dame.
Half the game I'm going where was this first two weeks.

Still alot of existing issues with this team, unfortunately every game is gonna be hard sledding.

Multi year starting captains with game altering penalties is just unacceptable.

Freeman's lack of experience really was showing in his body language on the sideline today.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Idk what I expected, but I thought Freeman was going to be like Klopp on the sidelines. I’m kinda bummed by his demeanor. It’s not even a knock on him because many coaches coach like he does. I guess I just expected different.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
I dunno, man... we'll see. I saw a lot of fight.

I think after the half we kinda dominated them but calls (missed or not reviewed) went their way.
Well see.

10-2 for the season.

Redbar

Reaction score
-I said last week, with Marshall’s Oline we would probably be 2-0. Why are we 1-2? The Oline decided to start their season in the 3rd quarter. Only cost us a couple games and a pretty impressive (to me) TB12.

-D line finally showed up too. Lacy should have earned a game ball. Was MVP to me. Bracy is also balling out. Need a linebacker to step up.

We will go as far as the guys on the lines of scrimmage take us, it was always going to be that way with a limited WR room, probably our most athletic running back out for the year, and a new QB, only thing that changed is those guys played better in the second half.

-Really happy for Coach Freeman, this on the job training is tough to watch sometimes for him and Coach Rees, but don’t miss that other guy AT ALL!

Southside Sully

Reaction score
Nice to see the OL show up for the second half. Great push. Passing D is good. 7, 54, 57 went to a different level for 2nd half. Rushing D needs help. Time to play the kid LBs, no chance they are worse on run d then what’s there . Nice W. Onward

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
-I said last week, with Marshall’s Oline we would probably be 2-0. Why are we 1-2? The Oline decided to start their season in the 3rd quarter. Only cost us a couple games and a pretty impressive (to me) TB12.

-D line finally showed up too. Lacy should have earned a game ball. Was MVP to me. Bracy is also balling out. Need a linebacker to step up.

We will go as far as the guys on the lines of scrimmage take us, it was always going to be that way with a limited WR room, probably our most athletic running back out for the year, and a new QB, only thing that changed is those guys played better in the second half.

-Really happy for Coach Freeman, this on the job training is tough to watch sometimes for him and Coach Rees, but don’t miss that other guy AT ALL!
Dline definitely did step up. The ends really need to work on the depth of their pass rush though. They were consistently getting zoned out way behind the pocket. So even when they got pressure they were leaving massive lanes for the QB to escape through.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Hey everyone's quietly wrapped for Lacey right?
He is like a more talented Hinish.
Touch wood the injuries are in the rear-view mirror.

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score
If we could get anything out of the second layer of our defense, we’d have a legit unit on that side. Unfortunately for the DL and DBs, the linebackers are awful right now. I was never super high on Bauer and Bertrand, but Kiser and Liufau have regressed in Golden’s scheme. That’s concerning. Kollie and Sneed need to get some reps if at the very least they can make a proper run fit and finish a tackle, as opposed to getting dragged for 3+ additional yards.

irishff1014

Reaction score
The first quarter what a lost cause for the offense. Play calling was ok for the players in the game but still so plain you knew what was coming.

-I was hoping Stucky could do something with these WR's but maybe its a lost cause. Styles dropped 2 passes he has to catch. Yes the throws weren't 100% but good enough to catch. Lenzy is only out there for a threat of a jet sweep even though it'll only get run once every 3 games. Thomas who knows what he is doing.

-The D-line took over the game in the 4th. They had some other opportunities but they ran them selves out of the play.

-The offense line showed up half way through the 2nd quarter and then it was all Tyree/Estime.

-I am determined that ND football is not allowed to have punt returner or punt return with a pulse.

-Not sure which is worse the play from the LB's or discipline this team shows on the field.

-We got a Win, 0 turnovers, and though it was Cal the offensive line showed they can do something productive.

-This offense might be good enough to beat UNLV, Navy, and BC but other than that this isn't looking promising at all.

-Congrats Coach Freeman on your first W. However there is A TON of improvement needed.

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score
The more I think about it, and after a re-watch, this team may be way more resilient than we’ve given it credit for. Think about how abysmal that first half was. When Pyne and Correll bungled that exchange? I don’t think any of us would’ve been shocked if they just packed it in. But, they didn’t. At some level, that’s coaching and leadership and I’m going to choose to believe that MFMF spearheaded that ability to play through a woeful 2Q of football.

We’ve also been BEGGING for halftime adjustments from this team for three MFMF coached games and we got them. Tommy made some really good adjustments in the run game. Defensively we had some good pressures from the front four. They played up to their billing.

Who knows? Maybe the second half yesterday will galvanize us in some way. Gotta be a relief for MF to get that win and get rid of that side story.

N_D_Fighting_Irish

THE INSTIGATOR
Reaction score
Idk what I expected, but I thought Freeman was going to be like Klopp on the sidelines. I’m kinda bummed by his demeanor. It’s not even a knock on him because many coaches coach like he does. I guess I just expected different.

You expected the subtle engagement that quality experienced coaches have or gravitas. Freeman lacks both. He seems awkwardly self aware and at times seems detached from the game. It might explain why he didn't challenge those questionable catches or engage with staff to consider challenging those catches.

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score
You expected the subtle engagement that quality experienced coaches have or gravitas. Freeman lacks both. He seems awkwardly self aware and at times seems detached from the game. It might explain why he didn't challenge those questionable catches or engage with staff to consider challenging those catches.
I would like to know what the communication was like on both of those and who we have upstairs on the monitors in those spots. I can understand not seeing it in real-time on the sidelines, but if he’s getting info from upstairs, hopefully he’ll learn to trust it.

N_D_Fighting_Irish

THE INSTIGATOR
Reaction score
The offsides call against Cal was bullshit. If we knew that it was bullshit, we should have declined the penalty, because that kind of bullshit call should not be tolerated or taken advantage of.

Regarding the offense, it was the Tyree touchdown that allowed us to run the ball more efficiently. It gave Pyne a chance to take a deep breathe and forced Cal to respect the pass. The OL is still relatively impotent as our attempt to run out the clock failed twice in the fourth quarter.

Regarding the defense, we were fortunate that Cal had a horrible QB. He was really bad...worse than Pyne.