Cal Postgame Thread

BeatSC

Reaction score
You never contest an official's call when the penalty is against the other team (Unless declining it results in more yards). Period. The problem you run into is the officials are never going to get all the calls right, and there's going to be a lot of stuff that's missed. As an example, there were multiple blatant holds against Cal 1st half. They finally got called for it on their last drive of the 1st half. Had they been called for it on the previous drive it probably prevents them from scoring their first TD. I know the adage is that holding can be called on every play, but some of it was pretty bad. I'm talking multiple linemen having our guys by the backs of their jerseys on the same play. They were getting beat bad in the trenches.
Football is not a game of virtue signaling. We did that last year and are now stuck with an overpaid inexperienced head coach. We threw them plenty of bones (JD Bertrand) brain dead target play.

BeatSC

Reaction score
Sturdevant literally got up from the no catch and gave the wind up with the fingers and the next quick play (fastest one of the game btw) is a TD. We take that offsides gift as it was the only one we received today. Idiot type of comment to decline such a penalty. Have to believe it was not serious.

Kingbish01

Reaction score
Post game thoughts...the team is bad top to bottom, very bad. I would bet USC -39 against this team. The final will be around 62-13

Henges24

Reaction score
Just flying through the comments quick and I’m surprised that I don’t see more Tyree.

He had about his best game running the ball behind the line in his career yesterday. He looked quick and had looked more in place in the RB position than I have seen.
Maybe he should stick to RB after all…

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Post game thoughts...the team is bad top to bottom, very bad. I would bet USC -39 against this team. The final will be around 62-13
USC is very good at skill positions, but they're still weak in the trenches. Mighty Stanford played them to 41-28. I'd still have USC favored, but I'm thinking more like 35-28. We should be able to run on them if the OL continues to get better.

T Town Tommy

Alabama Bag Man
Reaction score
I liked this tho.

This showed me that at least TR is feeling the heat. For all the issues thus far with his playcalling, I thought yesterday he put Pyne in a position to succeed given Pyne’s abilities. Whether that’s enough each game to beat better opponents is the question. I am holding out hope for TR and the Irish offense, but it isn’t going to get easier moving forward.

irishandy

Reaction score
The USC is our last game, things can change for both teams, and points can be put up on Lincoln Riley's defense. Hopefully our offense can get into a grove.

BeatSC

Reaction score
USC might come into our game u defeated and ranked in the top 5 while we can play the role of underdog on the road. A lot of ND fans at the coliseum. Our D line can cause some trouble. You never know.

N_D_Fighting_Irish

THE INSTIGATOR
Reaction score
You never contest an official's call when the penalty is against the other team (Unless declining it results in more yards). Period. The problem you run into is the officials are never going to get all the calls right, and there's going to be a lot of stuff that's missed. As an example, there were multiple blatant holds against Cal 1st half. They finally got called for it on their last drive of the 1st half. Had they been called for it on the previous drive it probably prevents them from scoring their first TD. I know the adage is that holding can be called on every play, but some of it was pretty bad. I'm talking multiple linemen having our guys by the backs of their jerseys on the same play. They were getting beat bad in the trenches.

Sturdevant literally got up from the no catch and gave the wind up with the fingers and the next quick play (fastest one of the game btw) is a TD. We take that offsides gift as it was the only one we received today. Idiot type of comment to decline such a penalty. Have to believe it was not serious.

I am astounded that many of you, if you knew the call was bullshit, would just look away. The call wasn't a judgement call. It was blatantly wrong. Call me an idiot or whatever you want but I do not follow nor accept your degenerate logic.

TNUtoNotreDame

Reaction score
USC might come into
I am astounded that many of you, if you knew the call was bullshit, would just look away. The call wasn't a judgement call. It was blatantly wrong. Call me an idiot or whatever you want but I do not follow nor accept your degenerate logic.
Okay, serious question. Cal held Foskey a few times, should Cal stop playing and say we held, penalize us? How far do you take it?

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Have watched a lot of football and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team decline a penalty on principal. Expecting Freeman to do so in that circumstance seems like expecting a lot.
I'd go further and say that if Freeman did that he should be fired on the spot because it would be the most insane thing any coach has done in the history of college or professional football.

NDRock

Reaction score
How could you possibly know it was BS without looking at a replay? Should Freeman have called a timeout to study the tape? How far should he have gone?

ND88

Reaction score
If Freeman had been an excessive sportsman regarding that call, you would be on this board ranting and raving about how this is what we get with an amateur. Hell, it’s been your entire schtick. He wins a game and you start saying he could’ve done more for the other team? It’s just goofy.

INLaw

Reaction score
Did u just ignore the actual logic I put in my post or you just trolling?

N_D_Fighting_Irish

THE INSTIGATOR
Reaction score
How could you possibly know it was BS without looking at a replay? Should Freeman have called a timeout to study the tape? How far should he have gone?

If Freeman had been an excessive sportsman regarding that call, you would be on this board ranting and raving about how this is what we get with an amateur. Hell, it’s been your entire schtick. He wins a game and you start saying he could’ve done more for the other team? It’s just goofy.

Have watched a lot of football and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team decline a penalty on principal. Expecting Freeman to do so in that circumstance seems like expecting a lot.

Each one of us has an internal ethic compass. I have made my point without considering Freeman. That my point is so beyond the pale for some of you is really revealing...and sad frankly. I have nothing more to add.

IrishTusker

Reaction score
Were those two third down catches actually catches? I was at the game and couldn't tell. Those were big calls that of course went Cal's way. Maybe they wouldn't have been reversed, but its not obvious that they were the right calls to begin with.

TNUtoNotreDame

Reaction score
Each one of us has an internal ethic compass. I have made my point without considering Freeman. That my point is so beyond the pale for some of you is really revealing...and sad frankly. I have nothing more to add.
You did not answer any question mister high ethics. Should Cal players and coaches said we did not catch that ball please rule it not a catch. This is not ethics, you are displaying, but a lack of logic. Shocking actual. I want to see if you're "ethically" consistent.

Last edited:

ND88

Reaction score
Nothing more to add sounds good. Thanks.

Valpodoc85

Reaction score
this is an undisciplined and not well coached football team with no direction that could have been avoided by getting a guy who has coaching experienced in here in the first place-this is another experiment gone wrong-Cal is not that good but my Irish are not much better
I think the better way to think is this team has no identity. Discipline often is best directed towards a goal. MF is giving them a generic identity and the team is not buying it. Now Pyne may give them and identity, or losing a few games. It will be interesting what team plays next Saturday

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Bro, it's college football. Ethics went out the window a long time ago. We've self reported in the past and look where that got us. Meanwhile programs like Miami, North Carolina, and Penn State get caught and get slaps on the wrist.

irishfan

Irish Hoops Mod
Reaction score
How do we even know the call was wrong? They never showed a view from the sideline as far as I remember.

irishfan

Irish Hoops Mod
Reaction score
Did you write this commercial

GrangerIrish24

He who waits for it.
Reaction score
I'd go further and say that if Freeman did that he should be fired on the spot because it would be the most insane thing any coach has done in the history of college or professional football.
Remember that one time when Kelly planned to air it out against NC State in a hurricane? good times

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
Were those two third down catches actually catches? I was at the game and couldn't tell. Those were big calls that of course went Cal's way. Maybe they wouldn't have been reversed, but its not obvious that they were the right calls to begin with.
At least one of them seemed incomplete to me. But WTF do I know - I also wouldn't self-report a bad call that went my way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk