2023 QB Cycle Cloudy Board

NDMatt91

Reaction score
It’s Angeli 2.0 at best at this point
I sincerely hope Tommy (and by extension, MF) learned a valuable lesson this recruiting cycle by not putting his eggs all in one basket when he‘s good/decent position with others top QB’s. If a kid says he’s a silent but is hesitant to pull the trigger, tell him he needs to commit ASAP or his spot is going to another top 5-ish QB.

INLaw

Reaction score
I sincerely hope Tommy (and by extension, MF) learned a valuable lesson this recruiting cycle by not putting his eggs all in one basket when he‘s good/decent position with others top QB’s. If a kid says he’s a silent but is hesitant to pull the trigger, tell him he needs to commit ASAP or his spot is going to another top 5-ish QB.
Maybe they learned the wrong lesson from the rb that went to clemson and still getting diggs and estime?

tussin

Reaction score
I think if ND is a playoff caliber team throughout this year then this will work itself out and we will get a good player.

NDMatt91

Reaction score
Maybe they learned the wrong lesson from the rb that went to clemson and still getting diggs and estime?
Lance made a mistake but was able to recover. The jury is still out on if Rees will do the same. He certainly has time, though.

SouthSideChiDomer

Reaction score
People need to calm down. To me, this was always the plan if we missed on Moore. We reassess the position, get in contact with lots of kids, and then see who is a riser during their senior season. Given that Buchner is likely to be here through the '24 season when CJ will be on campus, we can afford to take a risk on a late rising, potential high ceiling/low floor type of prospect.

Dale

Reaction score
Devin Brown was outside the Top 247 in June of last year and committed to USC. He just entered the Top 200 in July (camps) and finally was a Top 50 prospect and committed to OSU in December.

CJ Stroud committed to OSU in December after his Senior year. He was #511 in the country in May and Top 200 after the summer (again camps) and not a Top 50 guy till literally the last ranking update.

If you whiff first you need to finish by signing day. It’ll be high stakes yet again with limited options but there will be options. The race from folks to get a verbal in August makes no sense. ND needs to identify the right guy and win in/by December. Maybe that was Novosad. Maybe it’s Minchey or Smolik, etc but I truly don’t get wanting to have an answer today. Flip or late riser >>>> taking the first yes in August. Do I think Rees will win one of those battles? Idk probably not depending on who it’s up against but the last thing you want is to just take who’s there in August.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
People need to calm down. To me, this was always the plan if we missed on Moore. We reassess the position, get in contact with lots of kids, and then see who is a riser during their senior season. Given that Buchner is likely to be here through the '24 season when CJ will be on campus, we can afford to take a risk on a late rising, potential high ceiling/low floor type of prospect.

Based on the feels that are going out on kids like Smolik and the fact that Angeli was a take, I’m not holding my breath for an Austin Novosad flipping to ND.

SoIll

Licensed to Ill
Reaction score
I hate Brian Kelly more than anyone, but I hate to say it, he's going to be just fine at LSU..

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
A fair amount of Penn St. stuff on his social media. Seems like they would have the edge at this point.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
247 lists Penn State as 'warm,' everyone else 'cool'

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
We can do better than this. Does Minchey have any interest in PSU? I’m guessing Smolik to PEd State would leave us able to push for Minchey into the fall, no?

Minchey is far better off going big at a place like ND first and then transferring to a Pitt if things don’t work out. I think the kid could compete with CJ for the starting role, particularly with a year ahead of him. One of the two would emerge and we would have a very good QB.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
We can do better than this. Does Minchey have any interest in PSU? I’m guessing Smolik to PEd State would leave us able to push for Minchey into the fall, no?

Minchey is far better off going big at a place like ND first and then transferring to a Pitt if things don’t work out. I think the kid could compete with CJ for the starting role, particularly with a year ahead of him. One of the two would emerge and we would have a very good QB.
I’m with you. Minchey’s the guy. If he’s really committed to Pitt, for whatever reason, then I guess you chase Smolik or whoever but I think you have to take a real run at Minchey first.

Dale

Reaction score
I just can't believe that, in 2022 and all that MF has accomplished over the past 9 months, this is what we're now hoping for at the QB position this cycle...

He doesn’t even have an offer

Dale

Reaction score
Right. Rees needs to wait for Minchey to reject us in the fall before he officially offers.

tenor.gif