2022-2023 Notre Dame Men's Basketball

TNUtoNotreDame

Voted must gracious poster for five years running
Reaction score
I haven't watched much basketball yet this season.... judging by this thread being consistently at the top of the forum I assume we are rolling and looking at another deep tourney run...
We are doing so well the coach doesn't know what to say to the players anymore. Remarkable run.

clashmore_mike

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Up 3 at half at NC State tonight. Haven't watched any of it, maybe I should turn the channel.

clashmore_mike

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, Lubin gets the start over Nate in the second half. And ND promptly gives up the lead 🤣

NDGOLDEN

Reaction score
I watched all the games when they were really bad for those couple years but this is just hard to watch honestly. I guess cause I just expected more from this team

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Wow, Lubin gets the start over Nate in the second half. And ND promptly gives up the lead 🤣
Nate had three fouls with like 10 minutes left in the first half; Lubin played pretty well with his extended minutes in the first half but made some young mistakes in the second. Settled for a few contested shots and ignored a wide open, red-hot Cormac Ryan for 3 in the corner at one point that was pretty frustrating. But the young man is going to be a nice post-player for us.

The team played hard yesterday, fell down 11 early in the first half then countered with a nice run of their own and stayed competitive against a tough NC State team. They finally beat the spread, FWIW!

anarin

They call me Chuck.
Reaction score
I'm not even gonna sugar coat it... they are f'd against acc teams. I mean they are struggling to put away the easy part of the schedule.

God I hope I'm wrong, but I have low expectations this year.

I knew it was going to be bad, but 1-9 bad????? They do still have 10 conference games left (against a lot of the top teams though). I really hope they hit a home run on the next coach.

Seeing Louisville so bad is wild too....

1674659254354.png

Henges24

Reaction score
Not being dead last is shocking. The ACC is hot garbage this year.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
Not being dead last is shocking. The ACC is hot garbage this year.
If you can even believe it, GT and Louisville are legitimately worse than us. Va Tech not far off, though they just had a nice win over Duke at home, so maybe they'll turn a bit of a corner. We'll see.

ND won't finish with 5 conference wins. They'd need to win 4/5 of vs. Louisville, vs. Wake, @ GT, vs. VT and vs. Pitt. Fat chance. They're not winning @ Duke, @ UVA, vs. UNC, @ Wake or @ Clemson.

anarin

They call me Chuck.
Reaction score

Though Brey says he expected that, in fact, he says that he encouraged it. 3-star guard Brady Dunlap announced he asked for a release from his scholarship. 4-star guard Parker Friedrichsen will be following suit as well.

Brey talked about the conservations he’s had with the three commits in regard to their futures, whether that be at Notre Dame or elsewhere.

“I fully support that and I actually told both, I told all of them I would recommend that if I were your father,” Brey told 16 News Now on Thursday. “You need to, and yet they all want to keep this option open and I told them I would stay in touch with them on the coaching search to try and help them. Parker will do the same thing. He’ll do what Brady did and they deserve that. It’s what’s best for them, but yet they both said hey we want to and I said yeah you should keep this option open.”

Kind of shocking to me that he would encourage these guys to leave. I feel like if he's leaving on good terms, he'd still be selling the school to these kids. But what do I know...

stpeteirish

Reaction score
At this rate we will have to do open tryouts of the student body to field a team next year. Guys like Zona and Sanders will finally get their minutes if they stick around.
Anyone who takes this job better put Swarbrick’s feet to the fire re admissions of transfers before coming.

Henges24

Reaction score
At this rate we will have to do open tryouts of the student body to field a team next year. Guys like Zona and Sanders will finally get their minutes if they stick around.
Anyone who takes this job better put Swarbrick’s feet to the fire re admissions of transfers before coming.
You’re not wrong. I hope at this point the incoming coach is bringing players with him but that limits ND to who they look at. Could be a loooong 2-3 years.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
I think O'Malley made the point that undergrad transfers are the norm in ND basketball until last few years. No reason in this era that the coach can't load up on some guys. As much as I would like the Sweeney hire, I would like the Drake or Charleston coaches if they brought a couple of their top guys with them.

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score

Kind of shocking to me that he would encourage these guys to leave. I feel like if he's leaving on good terms, he'd still be selling the school to these kids. But what do I know...
Yeah, seems like a weird thing to say, as opposed to “I trust Jack and the university to bring in a quality coach to replace me. You signed to this university for reasons beyond me—give it a chance before you decide to go elsewhere.”

Irish14

Reaction score
Let’s be honest here. This was always going to happen no matter what Brey said. I also read and interpreted what he said as supporting their decision and not him going to them and promoting it. You can’t hold these kids hostage when circumstances have changed. Who knows how long the search lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
Our new coach at The Notre Dame Bookstore Basketball Tournament this spring:

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Sorry for the game interruption but a comment about ND coaching in the future:
we need to get a guy who can recruit foreign players in my opinion.
Take Arizona: they hire a Gonzaga assistant who has such recruiting skill/contacts.
The current Arizona team has EIGHT non-US players on scholarship. Several start.
(as a not-quite-a-joke aside: that would solve the second language requirement.)

stpeteirish

Reaction score
Take Arizona: they hire a Gonzaga assistant who has such recruiting skill/contacts.
The current Arizona team has EIGHT non-US players on scholarship. Several start.
(as a not-quite-a-joke aside: that would solve the second language requirement.)
Good point. Brey never liked foreign players, you can go all the way to Ivan Kartelo. We should be able to do well in the Catholic European countries that produce BB players like Croatia and Lithuania.

Irish14

Reaction score

I bet Sweeney would go after some foreign players being he’s an NBA guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stpeteirish

Reaction score
Martinis Geben says hello
Geben was about it though and he went to high school in Maryland. We’ve only had one African kid and he was a bust. It seems like Brey didn’t want to be involved with foreign players to the extent that many coaches do.
Or was it admissions? That’s another problem,even bigger for the new guy. We’re going to need to take transfers and, at least initially lots of them

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score
Geben was about it though and he went to high school in Maryland. We’ve only had one African kid and he was a bust. It seems like Brey didn’t want to be involved with foreign players to the extent that many coaches do.
Or was it admissions? That’s another problem,even bigger for the new guy. We’re going to need to take transfers and, at least initially lots of them
If you’re talking about Eric Katenda, I don’t think him being partially blinded in a freak playground incident makes him a bust.

stpeteirish

Reaction score
If you’re talking about Eric Katenda, I don’t think him being partially blinded in a freak playground incident makes him a bust.
Ah, forgot about him. There was another guy, name escapes me, always hurt and never played. But my point is we just aren't trying and most programs are.