Notre Dame to the B1G Conference?

arahop

Reaction score
I love the tradition of independence of Notre Dame Football. We know the history behind being blocked out of the conference. With the recent happenings in major college Football it's clear where this is going, 2 Super conferences. It's a certainty.

With our biggest rival in the B1G, along with the proposed TV money being 100-120 mil a year. It's time for ND to take a seat at that table.

Ive always viewed Michigan as our 2nd biggest rival. Add OSU PSU In that mix and put current "rivals" of Navy, Purdue, MSU, Stanford ( only since the 90s and I don't consider a big rival myself). Those games never moved the needle, plus they still will get to play Purdue and MSU occasionally if the Irish Join. USC, scUM, O$U, Penn state trumps our current rivals and it isn't even close.
Sign me up.

Let's discuss!

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
I hated the idea of going to Big Ten until they added USC and look to be going national. If they go from a Midwestern conference into a truly national, high academics conference then I’m all in.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
I hated the idea of going to Big Ten until they added USC and look to be going national. If they go from a Midwestern conference into a truly national, high academics conference then I’m all in.
Same. Funny how adding our most hated rival makes joining the Big Ten far more palatable.

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
If we're forced to join this thing, I'd rather bring along UNC, UVA, VT, or Pitt than Oregon / Stanford. Rather watch the Trees sink.

irish o'phile

Reaction score
Where do Clemson, UNC, and FSU end up?

Also, what about Oregon and Washington?

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score
It really does completely change things.

For one, USC is the bluest of bluebloods, and I was not fond of ND joining a conference and taking orders from Ohio State. At least ND would have a political partner in USC.

And although I’d much rather ND be playing in states like Georgia and the Carolinas for recruiting purposes, at least they’re not stuck in a landlocked conference if they join the B1G.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Where do Clemson, UNC, and FSU end up?

Also, what about Oregon and Washington?
Clemson and FSU in the SEC. Oregon and Washington in the Big Ten. IDK about UNC it's going to be hard for them to break away from the ACC - and their in-state basketball rivals - even if the Grant of Rights thing blows up.

irish o'phile

Reaction score
Clemson and FSU in the SEC. Oregon and Washington in the Big Ten. IDK about UNC it's going to be hard for them to break away from the ACC - and their in-state basketball rivals - even if the Grant of Rights thing blows up.
I just want some parity on the field. Adding Clemson to the BIG? Would help that a lot.

rikkitikki08

Reaction score
At this point as long as we can play our rivals and the big 10 seems to be the way that can happen then I don’t give a shit. NDs independence is important but it’s time to adapt before we get left looking from an outside window

rikkitikki08

Reaction score
I agree though, this thread is gross. It’s sad what money has done to this sport

Irishbounty28

Beastmode
Reaction score
If ND joins the BIG does this mean they will integrate a wrestling program? Either way, this seems like a choose your fate moment. Notre Dame will be fine either way but may be competing on a different level depending on the decision.

JJRyan

Reaction score
Michigan calls Mich St their little brother... if, and i truly hope ND doesn't join... But if ND did join, would they then call Michigan their unwanted stepbrother?

bobbyok1

Dominates Wiffle Ball
Reaction score
I've been a lifelong fan who grew up in South Bend, watched us win the 88' title as a 12 year old boy with his dad, and who has stuck by the team even in the darkest years (can anyone say Faust, Davie, Willingham, Weis, and losing to Tulsa?).

I've never wanted us to join a conference. Never. And it never seemed like a good move.

I am going on record (God have mercy) and declaring that for the first time it seems like joining the newly forming Big 20 is the best move for Notre Dame.

I don't care for it. But I am also looking forward to all that can be with conference affiliation.

There, I've said it . . . I can't wash the dirty feeling off

Last edited:

Valpodoc85

Reaction score
I bet this deal is on the fast track. I don't see us in the SEC. Trying to make a third conference from scraps and the ACC will mean we're on the outside looking in. BIG it is. Fuck Michigan

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
Michigan calls Mich St their little brother... if, and i truly hope ND doesn't join... But if ND did join, would they then call Michigan their unwanted stepbrother?

Stepbrother?

We're the Catholics, they will address us as... Our Father who art in South Bend, hallowed be thy name.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
The B1Gger covers LA, CHI, DMV, NY.

Why fight it. It's going to the NCAAless model soon enough and ND's in that for sure...

Or in the Smartypants Conference with barnburner rivalries vs Rice, Tulane and Sewanee.