NBA Thread

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
Took until the game was over to get replays of the Giannis block - one of the all time great plays in Finals history in a clutch moment and they can't even recognize it in real time. NBA sucks so bad on so many levels - I'm watching for Pat C fan and former MKE resident band wagon Bucks fan. Style of play is just chuck and run - any time I tried to watch during the season I didn't last long.

The officials refusing to call foul #6 on Booker with a full tackle on top of all of the other completely inconsistent garbage calls was just ridiculous. Suns will win - Bucks aren't good enough to win 5vs8. Giannis is an amazing player and just gets no respect from the announcers and ESPN who can't stop slobbering on Chris Paul long enough to acknowledge anything else.

I do like seeing Pat play a key roll in the Bucks success.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
The officials refusing to call foul #6 on Booker with a full tackle on top of all of the other completely inconsistent garbage calls was just ridiculous.

The reffing in this series has been atrocious all around. At least two of the "fouls" called on Booker were total bullsh!t, particularly #5 which forced Monty to bench him when he was red hot. If that doesn't happen, the Suns probably win. The missed foul #6 didn't end up mattering anyway.

Giannis is an amazing player and just gets no respect from the announcers and ESPN who can't stop slobbering on Chris Paul long enough to acknowledge anything else.

CP3 was hot garbage last night. Worst I've ever seen him play in arguably the biggest game of his career. Aging future HOFer willing his young team to victory in his (likely) last chance for a 'ship? Better turn the ball over 5 times en route to 10 points on 5-13 shooting. Gimme a f*cking break.

Offensive Boards: Bucks 17 - 5 Suns.
TOs: Suns 17 - 5 Bucks.

On those two stats alone, the Bucks had a 24 possession disparity. And the Suns still only lost by 6! Hate watching them beat themselves like this. Should be heading back to Phoenix up 3-1.

I do like seeing Pat play a key roll in the Bucks success.

Agreed. He's been great.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Only other job open besides the Wizards is the Pelicans job. Would love to see Jacque Vaughn get it, but he might be totally content with being with Nash with the Nets.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Haven't watched any of the games, just checked the scores. NBA has to do something. It's lost most of it's entertainment value IMO.

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
Haven't watched any of the games, just checked the scores. NBA has to do something. It's lost most of it's entertainment value IMO.

I’ve watched a couple playoff games so far including game 3 of the finals and I’ve been unimpressed and bored at times. Offensive possessions get way too stale with just one on ones or pick and rolls. It’s very rare to see good ball movement and likewise good player movement.

Rogue219

Reaction score

How are you able to judge the entertainment value of something you are not actually watching?

Rogue219

Reaction score
I’ve watched a couple playoff games so far including game 3 of the finals and I’ve been unimpressed and bored at times. Offensive possessions get way too stale with just one on ones or pick and rolls. It’s very rare to see good ball movement and likewise good player movement.

If you long for the midrange game of yesteryear, this Finals series is the one for you.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
How are you able to judge the entertainment value of something you are not actually watching?

I'm judging it from what I've seen during the regular season of this and last year. There are several here at work I discuss sports with. They echo the same sentiment and aren't near my age. I don't begrudge players from moving around and grabbing the cash, but it's really hard to identify with teams anymore because of this. Before all of this constant movement even casual fans knew 5 or 6 players on a lot of teams. Even if it wasn't the Pacers I knew who was on the teams in the finals and what the players strengths are. Today it's hard to know more than one or two on a handful of teams. This has led to the demise of real rivalries IMO. It's more like mercenaries moving to the next battle.

NDRock

Reaction score
Is there a sport (league) now that people think is at it's all time high? As long as I've been alive people have said "______, isn't as good as it used to be". I'm old enough now that I remember people shitting on an era that is now held up as being a great time. I hear the same thing about other sports I've relatively recently gotten into (F1, EPL, etc...)

I'd say the NFL is as good as it has ever been. Of course, I'm a Tampa fan so I'm probably biased. The shotmaking and athleticism of the NBA is off the chart. College basketball sucks. College football is about the same, flawed but great.

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
Is there a sport (league) now that people think is at it's all time high? As long as I've been alive people have said "______, isn't as good as it used to be". I'm old enough now that I remember people shitting on an era that is now held up as being a great time. I hear the same thing about other sports I've relatively recently gotten into (F1, EPL, etc...)

I'd say the NFL is as good as it has ever been. Of course, I'm a Tampa fan so I'm probably biased. The shotmaking and athleticism of the NBA is off the chart. College basketball sucks. College football is about the same, flawed but great.

Basketball is the only one for me that I say that about. I watch football and soccer pretty regularly and enjoy it all the time. I’m pretty bored with basketball these days including college. Baseball I’ve never really watched until the playoffs.

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
If you long for the midrange game of yesteryear, this Finals series is the one for you.

It’s not the midrange game that I need to see. I could be entertained with the Spurs and warriors a couple years ago and they obviously shot a ton of threes because they had great offensive sets and ball movement but they were really the only teams that would do that. I haven’t seen any of that in the last couple of years. Mostly just one action or pick and rolls. Just gets boring to watch.

NDRock

Reaction score
It’s not the midrange game that I need to see. I could be entertained with the Spurs and warriors a couple years ago and they obviously shot a ton of threes because they had great offensive sets and ball movement but they were really the only teams that would do that. I haven’t seen any of that in the last couple of years. Mostly just one action or pick and rolls. Just gets boring to watch.

I'm not a big fan of all the iso and pick and roll that gets played in the NBA. My favorite team of the last decade or so was the 2014 Spurs. Unbelievable ball movement. Loved how they just destroyed Miami to the point that Lebron bailed. Those Heat guys finally just gave up chasing them around. Was beautiful to watch. The Warriors were also very fun to watch.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score

You were born in '97 or later? I wouldn't have guess that.

Rogue219

Reaction score
The shotmaking and athleticism of the NBA is off the chart. College basketball sucks. College football is about the same, flawed but great.

This.

I hope the Bucks can close it out. Giannis getting a title is going to own the haters.

Rogue219

Reaction score
The Wizards hiring Wes Unseld Jr. is fantastic. The guy has put in the time. 45 years old and has been grinding as an assistant for nearly 20 years.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
He has haters?

He will after this year because winning creates them. But yeah, right now he's basically hate-proof. He's like the cool foreign exchange student in high school who comes from nothing, is happy to be here, has way more experience drinking than everyone else, and is super chill to everyone about everything.

Whiskeyjack

Staff member
Reaction score
This hurts. Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the empire, yet the Suns are the only sports franchise that has any real history here. They may never have an another opportunity like this again, and they threw it away.

IrishRazor82

Banned
Reaction score
Best finals since 2016. I doubt there's an argument.

And how about Milwaukee refusing to flop for calls when it was working all series for Booker/CP3/Crowder. That was good old fashioned grit and respect of the God damn game. That Bucks team isn't super talented but they are special, they did it their way, and they are champions.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
Golf all year round, easy access to hockey tickets, good hiking, and you can get a nice house for like $800K? Sign me up.

There might be 5 days a year where it rains all day. Besides that you can be outside 360 days a year. And you have to get to 115 before you can compare it to typical high 80+, humid continental North American weather.

The key for me is not sweating. I sweat getting out of the shower in Indiana when it's in the 70's and the air's not running. AZ, suit & tie out of the car, into the office or clients place and no sweat.

Plus besides SoCal where can it be 115 and after a 90 minute drive, you're at your cabin at 7500', where it's in the 70's/80's? San Diego's 6 hours, the ocean's even closer at 3.5 hrs in Puerto Penasco, huge reservoirs for boating and 3 hrs to two ski resorts. Get in your car in 95% of the country, drive 3-6 hrs and you are in the same corn infested humid/rainy/freezing hellscape.

107 last night, I'm in the pool watching the game, drinking key lime margaritas from the neighbors tree. Nearly froze to death when I got out. Evap cooling is a mf.

And if your team is the Hawks or Red Wings... not so easy.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Chris Paul is going to be one of those guys like Stockton, Malone, Barkley, etc. Great individual legacy without a TEAM championship. From a stats point of view, he's one of the best to play the game and has the 7th highest career VORP of any NBA player.

Booker is the foundation for that franchise. If they can keep him.

I am happy for Giannis. He did this without being on a team of stars. He is THE star. He is a reluctant star and a pretty down to Earth guy. European. Go figure.

He has a title to his legacy, CP3 does not. There is still an element of our sports culture that can't admit individual greatness without the team accomplishment of winning a championship. I doubt this is the end of the Giannis Haters Club, but he's got one ring now so that box is checked.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
There might be 5 days a year where it rains all day. Besides that you can be outside 360 days a year. And you have to get to 115 before you can compare it to typical high 80+, humid continental North American weather.

The key for me is not sweating. I sweat getting out of the shower in Indiana when it's in the 70's and the air's not running. AZ, suit & tie out of the car, into the office or clients place and no sweat.

Plus besides SoCal where can it be 115 and after a 90 minute drive, you're at your cabin at 7500', where it's in the 70's/80's? San Diego's 6 hours, the ocean's even closer at 3.5 hrs in Puerto Penasco, huge reservoirs for boating and 3 hrs to two ski resorts. Get in your car in 95% of the country, drive 3-6 hrs and you are in the same corn infested humid/rainy/freezing hellscape.

107 last night, I'm in the pool watching the game, drinking key lime margaritas from the neighbors tree. Nearly froze to death when I got out. Evap cooling is a mf.

Okay Rand McNally, I've been to Phoenix and the surrounding area several times, and that heat is like a pizza oven. Hot with no humidity. I will give it to you that the humidity definitely makes it worse.

Happy for the Bucks and the city of Milwaukee. Glad to see an eastern team win and more importantly, not one of the hired guns teams.

Whiskeyjack

Staff member
Reaction score
Golf all year round, easy access to hockey tickets, good hiking, and you can get a nice house for like $800K? Sign me up.

Don't get me wrong; I love Arizona. It's just that trying to support our local sports franchises is rough.

Chris Paul is going to be one of those guys like Stockton, Malone, Barkley, etc. Great individual legacy without a TEAM championship. From a stats point of view, he's one of the best to play the game and has the 7th highest career VORP of any NBA player.

Giannis is young, and will have many more opportunities for a ring. CP3 is not. I'm both sad for and frustrated with him.

There's no way the Suns get this far without him. Came so close only to disappear for half of the most important series of his career.

Booker is the foundation for that franchise. If they can keep him.

They'll figure something out. Ayton's due for a big payday as well. They can build around those two. But who knows what this team looks like without Paul. Their path back to the Finals next season is going to be a helluva lot harder. I'm not optimistic that Sarver will capitalize on this momentum.

He has a title to his legacy, CP3 does not. There is still an element of our sports culture that can't admit individual greatness without the team accomplishment of winning a championship. I doubt this is the end of the Giannis Haters Club, but he's got one ring now so that box is checked.

I'm still not sure where these mythical "Giannis haters" are hiding. I've never met anyone that dislikes him.

TorontoGold

Mr. Dumb Moron
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong; I love Arizona. It's just that trying to support our local sports franchises is rough.

Giannis is young, and will have many more opportunities for a ring. CP3 is not. I'm both sad for and frustrated with him.

There's no way the Suns get this far without him. Came so close only to disappear for half of the most important series of his career.

They'll figure something out. Ayton's due for a big payday as well. They can build around those two. But who knows what this team looks like without Paul. Their path back to the Finals next season is going to be a helluva lot harder. I'm not optimistic that Sarver will capitalize on this momentum.

I'm still not sure where these mythical "Giannis haters" are hiding. I've never met anyone that dislikes him.

Can I interest you in a gently used Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner?

Up here the entire country has been cheering for Giannis, he's a solid dude. Seems like a lot of Steve Nash fans were hyped for the Suns making the run, bizarre amount of support up here for them.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Not sure it was Giannis hate, but I was hearing a lot of talk on sports radio questioning if he was that good and could he carry a team? Most of it was because of his FT shooting. He shut them up!

Last edited: