NBA Thread

Rogue219

Reaction score
Celtics yikes - gotta be trying to make a move from Dame or Beal right? Maybe Luka? If thats the case, im not sure I understand shipping off a first rounder, and why not just include kemba in your deal for one of those guys?

It's without a doubt a salary dump.

Celtics also have no coach right now.

Rogue219

Reaction score
1. Phoenix, please help save America one more time and get rid of the Clippers.

2. Injuries have really had a serious impact on these playoffs, the obvious scenario being the Bucks beating the Nets in 7 games. That said, I cry no tears for the Nets, but man KD was absolutely awesome in that series. I'm happy that the Bucks are moving on but KD showed what a baller he really is in that series. Hardcore to the max.

3. Loving the Atlanta Hawks story though I am afraid this will be more about Philly's failure, in particular Simmons. It boils down to three likeable teams and the Clippers left. LFG.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Lots of injuries for sure. I wonder how much "load management" has played into this. Maybe it is having the opposite effect than intended?

Rogue219

Reaction score
Lots of injuries for sure. I wonder how much "load management" has played into this. Maybe it is having the opposite effect than intended?

I have severe doubts that's the case. They played a 72 game regular season that started December 22nd. An 82 game season pre Covid typically starts right after Halloween during the first week fo November. The teams that went the deepest into the 2020 Bubble all went out early. Under normal circumstances, by now, the Finals would be over or just about over. We're just starting the conference finals.

The last time they started in December was 2011 during the lockout. They cut that season down to only 72 games and it was one of the most injury riddled seasons in NBA history.

It seems similar to the English Premier League and the injuries that were happening there. Consdensed schedule of games after a shorter offseason due to Covid. Guys are getting hurt.

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
Doc Rivers says they have a plan to address Ben Simmons shooting. No one has tried in 5 years?!?

The plan should be to move on and get something in return before you have to over pay.

NDRock

Reaction score
Injuries are always part of basketball playoffs and often play a major role in who wins it all. This season may have been a condensed 72 game season but almost none of those injured played anywhere close to that many. Kyrie and Kawai played in the low 50’s, AD (who is always hurt) played 36. Harden played 44, Lebron played 42.

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
Injuries are always part of basketball playoffs and often play a major role in who wins it all. This season may have been a condensed 72 game season but almost none of those injured played anywhere close to that many. Kyrie and Kawai played in the low 50’s, AD (who is always hurt) played 36. Harden played 44, Lebron played 42.

So the question is did they miss those games from load management or injury.

NDRock

Reaction score
So the question is did they miss those games from load management or injury.

Hard to say. Some guys like AD are injury prone. Harden is usually reliable but he obviously came into the season out of shape, so I was not surprised he battled a soft tissue injury all year. Kyrie seems to get injured every season but this year's had nothing to do with load management (turned his ankle after landing on a defenders foot). Kawhi also had kind of a freak injury after getting fouled.

Would be interesting to see if guys who practice the whole load management thing actually have less injuries. Doesn't seem like it.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Hard to say. Some guys like AD are injury prone. Harden is usually reliable but he obviously came into the season out of shape, so I was not surprised he battled a soft tissue injury all year. Kyrie seems to get injured every season but this year's had nothing to do with load management (turned his ankle after landing on a defenders foot). Kawhi also had kind of a freak injury after getting fouled.

Would be interesting to see if guys who practice the whole load management thing actually have less injuries. Doesn't seem like it.

Funny that load management has come to be in vogue the last five years, similar to pitcher going no more than 5 or 6 innings. Players used to play every game, pitchers threw 8 or 9 innings and professional FB players held summer jobs. They didn't have the training, nutrition and medical care they do now, but went the distance.

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny that load management has come to be in vogue the last five years, similar to pitcher going no more than 5 or 6 innings. Players used to play every game, pitchers threw 8 or 9 innings and professional FB players held summer jobs. They didn't have the training, nutrition and medical care they do now, but went the distance.

income has went through the roof too. You dont see your non-stars playing load management games because they cant afford to. However, your stars also play far more minutes on the nights they do play, have the ball more, etc. which all lead to more likely being injured.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Doc Rivers says they have a plan to address Ben Simmons shooting. No one has tried in 5 years?!?

The plan should be to move on and get something in return before you have to over pay.

He's 24 years old, so I guess there is time, but I think a change of scenery is truly the trick here.

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
Paul George being Paul George. SMH

he hit those two baskets and I thought man he might put the team on his back for once. Then holy shit. damn near threw the ball away on an inbounds, doinks two free throws, and is too worried about where his feet are on the final inbounds to get a shot off before the buzzer. OUCH

Rogue219

Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/steven_lebron/status/1407575476420366336[/TWEET]

Sooooooo true of this colossal group of dickheads. Been this way for a few years.

Just a highly unlikable group of people. Serge Ibaka is alright.

Rogue219

Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1407771920733401089[/TWEET]

Excellent hire. He's about to turn 44 and started his assistant coaching under Poppovich.

Rogue219

Reaction score
I wonder if the Pacers are?
The Hawks coach seems to be doing well.

Since McMillan took over in March, they're the best team in the East in every possible way you look at the numbers.

Trae Young is also a star, if we're all being totally honest.

Trait Expectations

Reaction score
Since McMillan took over in March, they're the best team in the East in every possible way you look at the numbers.

Trae Young is also a star, if we're all being totally honest.

On record, I thought Trae Young was going to flop in the NBA. It was one of the few certainties I remember having during that draft.

I was terribly wrong.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Pacers are going with Rick Carlisle. 4 years, $29 million.

giphy.gif

Freaking pumped

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Carlisle is good hire IMO. He did pretty well the first time around.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Carlisle is good hire IMO. He did pretty well the first time around.

Sounds like he was their guy. They did a phone interview with Brian Shaw to check the diversity box and then hired Carlisle. LOL.

Since his title with Dallas a decade ago, he had 6 first round playoff exits and four years they missed the playoffs entirely. He turns 62 in October.

I like Rick Carlisle, but I like the hire a lot less from a neutral point of view.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Sounds like he was their guy. They did a phone interview with Brian Shaw to check the diversity box and then hired Carlisle. LOL.

Since his title with Dallas a decade ago, he had 6 first round playoff exits and four years they missed the playoffs entirely. He turns 62 in October.

I like Rick Carlisle, but I like the hire a lot less from a neutral point of view.

It doesn't get me excited, but for what's available it works. He's perfect for keeping the Pacers in purgatory.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Reports that Chauncey Billups will be named HC of the Portland Trailblazers.

Another former point guard.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Denver Nuggets associate head coach Wes Unseld Jr. is emerging as the leader to be the Washington Wizards’ new head coach. Tremendously good news. He was in line for the Magic job, but they went with Mosely from the Mavericks. Which was also a pretty good hire.

Giannis' block last night is an all timer. I hope Milwaukee can see this through somehow. Phoenix is very likable, however, but I want Giannis to get his title now. Good kid and an incredible story.