IE's Comic Book/Movie/TV News Thread

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score
Passion 2: Judgement Day. (Arnold can make a cameo!)
Passion 2: Christ and the Last Crusade
Passion 2: Return of the Christ (Spoilers: Ends in a final battle between Jesus and the Devil, then God throws the devil down a shaft in the Death Star)

T-Boone

Reaction score
I love Shane Gillies. On the Joe Rogan program in his ND shirt.
This guy is flying the flag.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
As a child of the 70/80s, I love John Hughes movies (RIP). Breakfast Club, Home Alone, Mr. Mom, Vacation, 16 Candles, Ferris Bueller’s Day off, Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, Planes/Trains/Automobiles, Uncle Buck, etc. What a genius. Most of his movies took place in a suburb of Chicago. One of my favorites was “Weird Science”. Was it a cinematic masterpiece? No…not even close. But it was funny and it captured the 1980s in all its glory. Anthony Michael Hall, Bill Paxton, Robert Downey, Jr; Kelly LeBrock. So funny.

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score
As a child of the 70/80s, I love John Hughes movies (RIP). Breakfast Club, Home Alone, Mr. Mom, Vacation, 16 Candles, Ferris Bueller’s Day off, Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, Planes/Trains/Automobiles, Uncle Buck, etc. What a genius. Most of his movies took place in a suburb of Chicago. One of my favorites was “Weird Science”. Was it a cinematic masterpiece? No…not even close. But it was funny and it captured the 1980s in all its glory. Anthony Michael Hall, Bill Paxton, Robert Downey, Jr; Kelly LeBrock. So funny.

Loved Weird Science and a lot of those Hughes movies. I think I actually saw the TV adaptation of Weird Science before the movie though. The TV version had Vanessa Angel (Girl from Kingpin) instead of Kelly LeBrock. Parents wouldn't let me watch it, so I used to sneak and tape the episodes while I was in bed. It wasn't a great show, but it a scantily clad genie vixen which was enough for a kid going through puberty lol. The movie is certainly a classic though.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
Loved Weird Science and a lot of those Hughes movies. I think I actually saw the TV adaptation of Weird Science before the movie though. The TV version had Vanessa Angel (Girl from Kingpin) instead of Kelly LeBrock. Parents wouldn't let me watch it, so I used to sneak and tape the episodes while I was in bed. It wasn't a great show, but it a scantily clad genie vixen which was enough for a kid going through puberty lol. The movie is certainly a classic though.
I still can’t avoid laughing when Gary & Wyatt are hiding out in the bathroom of Gary’s house during the party. The girls ask what they‘re doing in there & Wyatt yells out “Gary was just taking a shit”. The look on Gary’s face & then him slapping Wyatt across the face never fails to crack me up. 80s movies would be lacking w/o Anthony Michael Hall. Seems like a good dude in his adult life as well.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
The Nike movie about creating Air Jordan comes out this weekend. That should be another great nostalgic look at the 80s. I believe Matt Damon is playing Sonny Vaccaro which I’m sure Sonny appreciates!

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
There hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread, probably because Marvel keeps giving us turds. Just finished Secret Invasion last night. It is so, so disappointing. One surprise death and zero surprise Skrulls. There's a ton of exposition dump. A main villain whose motive and plan is absurd. Several side characters nobody gives a shit about. Marvel made Nick Fury into a bitch. The ending tries to set up another season or future movie but it's just not interesting and based on the viewership numbers, nobody cares. There's also an obligatory big stupid CGI fight at the end. This show should have been great and it wasn't even good.

I don't know what's wrong with Marvel right now. Bad writing, bad CGI, identity politics...whatever it is I hope they correct course because I have very little interest in future projects.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
There hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread, probably because Marvel keeps giving us turds. Just finished Secret Invasion last night. It is so, so disappointing. One surprise death and zero surprise Skrulls. There's a ton of exposition dump. A main villain whose motive and plan is absurd. Several side characters nobody gives a shit about. Marvel made Nick Fury into a bitch. The ending tries to set up another season or future movie but it's just not interesting and based on the viewership numbers, nobody cares. There's also an obligatory big stupid CGI fight at the end. This show should have been great and it wasn't even good.

I don't know what's wrong with Marvel right now. Bad writing, bad CGI, identity politics...whatever it is I hope they correct course because I have very little interest in future projects.
They have no characters left that anyone cares about. Who are the faces of your cinematic universe? Captain Marvel? Pass. War Machine? Pass. Iron Heart? Suri as BP? Shang Chi? Monica Rambo? Pass pass pass pass pass. They’re all boring and all suck.

They desperately need to skip ahead and get F4 and XMen going so they can get some real protagonists out that people can feel attached to.

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
They have no characters left that anyone cares about. Who are the faces of your cinematic universe? Captain Marvel? Pass. War Machine? Pass. Iron Heart? Suri as BP? Shang Chi? Monica Rambo? Pass pass pass pass pass. They’re all boring and all suck.

They desperately need to skip ahead and get F4 and XMen going so they can get some real protagonists out that people can feel attached to.
Absolutely. Ant-Man, Thor and Wanda I all really liked, but they fucked those characters and movies up so bad that I really don't give a shit anymore. Other than Loki nobody cares about any of the characters on the Disney Plus shows. Marvels is going to flop. People aren't excited for a different Captain America. Kang might have to be recast, or scrapped altogether. It's a mess. Kevin Feige is too worried about setting up movies 5-6-7 years down the road that he loses focus on just making a good stand alone movie or show.

I did enjoy Guardians 3 though. Not as much as the first two but I still liked it. There's a completely unnecessary F bomb in it which hasn't happened before in the MCU. I don't mind it, but I have kids that watch these movies. I know they hear that stuff at school, but they don't hear it from me. That was disappointing. The soundtrack was a bit over the top. Every 3-4 minutes there is another song with a slo-mo walk.

Quantumania was absolute trash. Love and Thunder was trash. Multiverse of Madness was meh but ruined Wanda. Secret Invasion was ass. She-Hulk was the worst thing I've ever seen on tv. Honestly I think it's time to fire Kevin Feige. Kathleen Kennedy too but that's a different rant.

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score
Absolutely. Ant-Man, Thor and Wanda I all really liked, but they fucked those characters and movies up so bad that I really don't give a shit anymore. Other than Loki nobody cares about any of the characters on the Disney Plus shows. Marvels is going to flop. People aren't excited for a different Captain America. Kang might have to be recast, or scrapped altogether. It's a mess. Kevin Feige is too worried about setting up movies 5-6-7 years down the road that he loses focus on just making a good stand alone movie or show.

I did enjoy Guardians 3 though. Not as much as the first two but I still liked it. There's a completely unnecessary F bomb in it which hasn't happened before in the MCU. I don't mind it, but I have kids that watch these movies. I know they hear that stuff at school, but they don't hear it from me. That was disappointing. The soundtrack was a bit over the top. Every 3-4 minutes there is another song with a slo-mo walk.

Quantumania was absolute trash. Love and Thunder was trash. Multiverse of Madness was meh but ruined Wanda. Secret Invasion was ass. She-Hulk was the worst thing I've ever seen on tv. Honestly I think it's time to fire Kevin Feige. Kathleen Kennedy too but that's a different rant.

You didn't like She Hulk? It wasn't for you, misogynist!

she-hulk-twerk-she-hulk-megan-thee-stallion.gif

Quite frankly, I don't know who it was for.

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm honestly surprised anyone trusts critics these days. Gamer Gate exposed how easily they're manipulated, how the industries are in bed with one another. I mean, I'm sure many people knew that long before, but it was just further proof. I tend to trust User/Viewer Scores over Critic reviews these days. Yeah, movies and games can get negative review bombed or the reverse, but it usually happens with good reason. I don't think I've ever seen a movie or played a game that was review bombed and I decided "No, this was actually a masterpiece." As always I usually trust my own judgement first. If there's enough buzz about something I'll check it out for myself to make my own assessment. Don't let stuck up critics make your mind up for you.