Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I would have thought they would use tugs to bring it in and out.

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
I would have thought they would use tugs to bring it in and out.

They do, and there were two McAllister Towing tugs assigned to move her from her birth and out into the channel. Once in the channel they dropped off (this is normal) since she was in open water and under her own power/steerage w/ local pilot conning the ship. The only time tugs would accompany a ship out past the Key (from my understanding) is during unsafe sea states. While there was a strong breeze in the AM of the crash (look at the smoke from the funnel, its laying sideways) and enough to give the ship a push, it wasn't considered dangerous.

irishff1014

Reaction score
Any updates on the bridge? Lol

All dive operations have stopped. Crane barges have are making their way in to start the clean up. Apparently the NTSB announced last night that the black box has 2 minutes of the black box missing. I have been busy and haven’t looked up the article.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
All dive operations have stopped. Crane barges have are making their way in to start the clean up. Apparently the NTSB announced last night that the black box has 2 minutes of the black box missing. I have been busy and haven’t looked up the article.
The last two minutes of the black box recordings only have audio which is consistent with the requirements that all ships VDR system must meet.

The VDR will record everything as long as their is electrical power. If it loses electrical power, the system will record audio only. So the last two minutes of the Dali's VDR only has audio.
If the ship's source of electrical power supply fails, the VDR should continue to record Bridge Audio (see 5.5.5) from the dedicated reserve power source for a period of 2 hours. At the end of this 2 hour period all recording should cease automatically.

I get that their is some chance that the ship could've been hacked in some way that caused the loss of power, but the constant stream of conspiracy theories coming out, many of which are easily disproven, just only weakens any future claims (hopefully based on evidence) that would support some kind of conspiracy.

People on twitter screaming ..... the VDR is missing the last two minutes.... how suspicious.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
Posted a video of this guy's analysis early on.

Here's a more recent video with some good analysis. He also has some links (in the description of the youtube video) to other videos from people who work on large ships how some of the systems work if anyone wants to dig deep.

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
People have again ruined another thread that I really enjoyed posting in. Super

I was hoping to come here and be Super nerdy about ship handling and the like. Had some links to info, pages ect that I know many would enjoy. But no some need to feel sorry for themselves, and others just can't resist responding. KITFO... Stop responding to people like Koonberry, stop posting your politics , there is a thread for that. Be adults

If you have ship, shipping, ship handling, brigde stuff, let's go!

On that note, less then 30 seconds in, the pilot w/no power or radio, pulled out his cell phone and warned to shut the bridge. 156 seconds from power failure to impact. Hero

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score

I was hoping to come here and be Super nerdy about ship handling and the like. Had some links to info, pages ect that I know many would enjoy. But no some need to feel sorry for themselves, and others just can't resist responding. KITFO... Stop responding to people like Koonberry, stop posting your politics , there is a thread for that. Be adults

On that note, less then 30 seconds in, the pilot w/no power or radio, pulled out his cell phone and warned to shut the bridge. 156 seconds from power failure to impact. Hero
1711838491161.jpeg

zelezo vlk

Reaction score

For real the captain saved quite a few lives by his quick action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea Turtle

Slow and steady wins the race
Reaction score

If you are in international waters, the captain of a ship is able to legally marry a man and wife.

GowerND11

Reaction score

So this collapse got me down a very moderate rabbit hole, one I intended to go down further, but I got distracted by something that day….

Anyway, it got me to that Tampa bridge collapse in the late 1970s, and a golf message board I follow along with mentioned that first, which made me research it. Long and short they mentioned dolphins for protection. Now, being uneducated on the subject, my smooth brain immediately went to, “I know dolphins are smart, but they can’t be trained to warn ships about hitting pylons and stuff can they?”

I found out what a dolphin actually is in this context, and I think I saw that the Key bridge doesn’t have any. Is there a reason (other than say $$$) that bridges that handle container ships and the like DON’T have them? Maybe you don’t know the answer to that one but yeah.

Last edited:

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
So this collapse got me down a very moderate rabbit hole, one I intended to go down further, but I got distracted by something that day….

Anyway, it got me to that Tampa bridge collapse in the late 1970s, and a golf message board I follow along with mentioned that first, which made me research it. Long and short they mentioned dolphins for protection. Now, being uneducated on the subject, my smooth brain immediately went to, “I know dolphins are smart, but they can be trained to warn ships about hitting pylons and stuff can they?”

I found out the. What a dolphin actually is in this context, and I think I saw that the Key bridge doesn’t have any. Is there a reason (other than say $$$) that bridges that handle container ships and the like DON’T have them? Maybe you don’t know the answer to that one but yeah.

The Key did have limited dolphins in place, but obviously not enough. Fenders were not in place, for such a busy waterway I and experts think they should have been. Fenders wrap around the support islands.

Edit: Clarity and correction of terms on my part

NDBoiler

The Rep Machine
Reaction score
The Key did have limited dolphins in place, but obviously not enough. Fenders were not in place, for such a busy waterway I and experts think they should have been. Fenders wrap around the support islands.

Edit: Clarity and correction of terms on my part
Would it have even mattered with a ship of that weight? I feel like anything to protect the structure of the bridge would’ve had to have been incredibly stout in this scenario to have been effective.

FDNYIrish1

I’ll be at the Irsay YMCA from 12:30-2:30
Reaction score

Please share if you don’t mind. I’m sure I’m not the only one who finds this interesting. I’ve read the ship had electrical problems upon entering Baltimore. Have you heard the same?

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
Please share if you don’t mind. I’m sure I’m not the only one who finds this interesting. I’ve read the ship had electrical problems upon entering Baltimore. Have you heard the same?

I'll work on some info when I get a chance. Dang Easter in the way.

I did hear somewhere that it had some electrical problems while docked, but not sure to what extent. Obviously the Captain and Cheif Engineer were comfortable with the fix. Looks like they were wrong.

If I forget to post links, plz remind me.

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
Would it have even mattered with a ship of that weight? I feel like anything to protect the structure of the bridge would’ve had to have been incredibly stout in this scenario to have been effective.

My understanding is yes, even a ship of that weight could be deflected by dolphins and Fenders. If it hit a fender , bridge damage is still likely, but catastrophic collapse may have been avoided. Who knows forsure.

I will say folks on the internet asking about the anchor are nuts. They did drop the port anchor to try and back down speed, but that would not reroute, stop or turn the ship like it does in the movie Battleship.

Good question 🤔

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
So I just went through the last 7 pages of this thread. I've been wondering what new info there was. I assumed there must be some valuable information shared with how the thread has remained on the front page for the last week. Of course, any useful information was hard to come by....

However this last page did share some good information, Lberry said we can ban him and he also said he doesn't want anyone else banned. So be it.

Lberry is banned.

Happy Easter everyone.
Let’s all say hello to our new member NDingleBerry77….

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
My go to Twitter feed and YouTube channel for updates. I just like the way this guy explains things.

Last edited:

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
My go to Twitter feed and YouTube channel for updates. I just like the way this guy explains things.

This guy is one of the people/links I was going to post. He is super good, and easy to listen to/follow. Thanks ab2c

Here is a good one he did with Ward Carrol (Former F-14Rio, who has a good podcast for us nerds)