Tommy Rees - Offensive Coordinator

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
I don’t know enough personally about Wake’s but it’d caution getting any hopes up on certain RPO offensive coordinators who’s systems are not friendly to TEs and/or OL development. ND Is not going to proactively turn away from their building block and one big selling point of NFL development

They don't have to. Like I said, it's a wrinkle that can be used and used effectively. If anything I think it would showcase the OL, being as they need to stay on their blocks longer as the play develops

NDRock

Reaction score
But for real I would love to hear a HS coach or equivalent take the gloves off on this offense. I would trust their opinion more than coach speak.
Agree. I’m legitimately interested. I know nothing about his offense but one guy wants to give him $3 million, another thinks he’s a bum. May have to read up on it.

Dale

Reaction score
When do we reach the week where Blake kicks off his rust shackles? I think it’s coming just behind schedule

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
When do we reach the week where Blake kicks off his rust shackles? I think it’s coming just behind schedule
I expected a lot out of him early. When he came back for the Fiesta he was the highest graded lineman. Need him locked in again.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
I am optimistic that the offensive line woes are communication problems. Basically, that there have been changes to how assignments are doled out which has resulted in confusion. That's the best case scenario for seeing improvement, IMO.

allenm5333

Reaction score
Agree. I’m legitimately interested. I know nothing about his offense but one guy wants to give him $3 million, another thinks he’s a bum. May have to read up on it.
My opinion is that it takes extreme advantage of the 3 yard LOS rule for RPOs. Didn't say It wasn't efficient. I just hate it haha. Big difference

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
I think that the play calling by Tommy has been very difficult to judge based on lack of execution. Granted, execution of the play is certainly reflective of coaching but at some point, it’s squarely on the players’ shoulders. If the execution continues to trend positive then the offensive production will do the same.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
I head Jamie on ISD say he thought Fisher is “thinking too much” which makes him appear slow. After all the promise from early play last year and the hype going into this year, it makes sense. Is he having trouble transitioning from Quinn to Hiestand?

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
Was listening to Inside ND Sports pod today and Tyler mentioned that Tommy interviewed at Miami in Jan or Feb. Is that correct? I may have misheard but I thought that Miami was interested but that Jack persuaded him to stay at ND before they announced MF as HC.

NDRock

Reaction score
I think that the play calling by Tommy has been very difficult to judge based on lack of execution. Granted, execution of the play is certainly reflective of coaching but at some point, it’s squarely on the players’ shoulders. If the execution continues to trend positive then the offensive production will do the same.
I’d be surprised if production doesn’t increase. We’re currently 115th in points scored. Pretty hard to get worse from there.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Was listening to Inside ND Sports pod today and Tyler mentioned that Tommy interviewed at Miami in Jan or Feb. Is that correct? I may have misheard but I thought that Miami was interested but that Jack persuaded him to stay at ND before they announced MF as HC.
Yes. Both.
Swarbrick fended off an offer to Rees from BK and persuaded him to stay before MF was officially hired.
Then a few weeks later Cristobal made a pretty serious push to hire Rees at Miami - and Rees listened, but ultimately stayed put.

Dale

Reaction score
Really? I’m sure that will really help calm Pynes nerves.

“I respond well to hard coaching,” Pyne said after the game. “Coach Rees, I’ve known him for seven or eight years. He just wants me to be at my best.”

“Certain guys need certain types of coaching in certain moments,” Rees said. “I’m not proud of the language I used, but I know Drew can seek out and handle tough coaching and things to kind of light a fire and create a sense of urgency.”

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
“I respond well to hard coaching,” Pyne said after the game. “Coach Rees, I’ve known him for seven or eight years. He just wants me to be at my best.”

“Certain guys need certain types of coaching in certain moments,” Rees said. “I’m not proud of the language I used, but I know Drew can seek out and handle tough coaching and things to kind of light a fire and create a sense of urgency.”

F>ck that $h!t, it's about the only thing of Tommy I am proud of.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

Pyne was 3-of-8 for 19 yards and zero touchdowns before the chewing-out session. He went 14-of-15 for 131 yards and one touchdown after it. He helped Notre Dame secure its first victory of the season with a go-ahead fourth-quarter touchdown pass to tight end Michael Mayer.

“He responded the way we counted on him to,” Rees added. “I’m proud of him for that. Again, not proud of my language. I’m proud that Drew and I have a relationship where there is an immense amount of trust and he knows that when urgency needs to be reiterated, it can be and our players trust and respond the right way.”

The one incompletion was the Lenzy bobble too. That phone call really unfucked Pyne in a big way. Here's hoping the offense continues to relax and make strides this week. It would be awesome to see the team rebound for the remaining part of the season and pull out 8-10 wins.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score

I haven't seen too much criticism of the viral video and I'm relieved. Anyone who played HS football, basketball and likely any other sport has been "spoken to" like that. Let alone D1 football and the pressure that Tommy Rees is currently under.

I never took it as "wow, that coach has anger issues or he really doesn't like me." I take it as someone who is passionate about the game and has high expectations of me and my teammates to deliver.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
I haven't seen too much criticism of the viral video and I'm relieved. Anyone who played HS football, basketball and likely any other sport has been "spoken to" like that. Let alone D1 football and the pressure that Tommy Rees is currently under.

I never took it as "wow, that coach has anger issues or he really doesn't like me." I take it as someone who is passionate about the game and has high expectations of me and my teammates to deliver.
I didn’t notice any & thought it was funny that Mike Frank thought there was some big outrage from some fans. If there was, it was the minority. He loves to act like all fans never played competitive sports & b/c he’s witnessed some coaches yelling at players at some of the ND practices he attended in the past, that we fans just wouldn’t understand.

I think the majority of fans agreed that Tommy’s message was spot on & right on time. I would hope & expect that the entire staff lit into the entire team in that same manner after the Marshall Embarrassment.

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
Only outrage is that NBC showed it during the broadcast. Can't imagine Jack was happy about that. Opens the program up to negative PR.