Tommy Rees - Offensive Coordinator

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I haven't seen too much criticism of the viral video and I'm relieved. Anyone who played HS football, basketball and likely any other sport has been "spoken to" like that. Let alone D1 football and the pressure that Tommy Rees is currently under.

I never took it as "wow, that coach has anger issues or he really doesn't like me." I take it as someone who is passionate about the game and has high expectations of me and my teammates to deliver.

I didn’t notice any & thought it was funny that Mike Frank thought there was some big outrage from some fans. If there was, it was the minority. He loves to act like all fans never played competitive sports & b/c he’s witnessed some coaches yelling at players at some of the ND practices he attended in the past, that we fans just wouldn’t understand.

I think the majority of fans agreed that Tommy’s message was spot on & right on time. I would hope & expect that the entire staff lit into the entire team in that same manner after the Marshall Embarrassment.

Only outrage is that NBC showed it during the broadcast. Can't imagine Jack was happy about that. Opens the program up to negative PR.

Yeah, most of the Irish fans I saw commenting on the clip on Twitter seemed to enjoy the moment and applaud the passion. The only people wagging their fingers were opposing fans and I don't give two shits what they think. I'm wearing my Purple Face BK "Don't Poke the Bear!" shirt right now, so I'm all in favor of some heated motivation if a player responds to it positively :laugh: Obviously it worked for Drew and he asked the coaches to be hard on him last week.

NDRock

Reaction score
Yeah, most of the Irish fans I saw commenting on the clip on Twitter seemed to enjoy the moment and applaud the passion. The only people wagging their fingers were opposing fans and I don't give two shits what they think. I'm wearing my Purple Face BK "Don't Poke the Bear!" shirt right now, so I'm all in favor of some heated motivation if a player responds to it positively :laugh: Obviously it worked for Drew and he asked the coaches to be hard on him last week.
I just wish Tommy had the same fire when it comes to recruiting.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Who's your favorite QB in the '23 class?
Still holding out hope Carr reclassifies since they've still got time and interest for others in the '24 class. I was one of the first people criticizing the staff for putting all their eggs in the Dante basket, I didn't trust the behind the scenes "soft verbal" rumors. Hopefully it's a lesson learned that you don't shut down recruiting until you at least have a verbal commitment, but they made the absolute right call to take Carr when they did. I don't think it scared Moore off, I think it just flushed him out and showed he was stringing us along for a better deal.

Jiggafini19Deux

The Pope of Greenwich Village
Reaction score
Still holding out hope Carr reclassifies since they've still got time and interest for others in the '24 class. I was one of the first people criticizing the staff for putting all their eggs in the Dante basket, I didn't trust the behind the scenes "soft verbal" rumors. Hopefully it's a lesson learned that you don't shut down recruiting until you at least have a verbal commitment, but they made the absolute right call to take Carr when they did. I don't think it scared Moore off, I think it just flushed him out and showed he was stringing us along for a better deal.
They did something right? Not possible.

Sea Turtle

Reaction score
We have to take a transfer. Maybe even two. I agree with Brian Smith. The entire qb room needs revamped and Rees needs to move on.

Irish4life

Reaction score
We have to take a transfer. Maybe even two. I agree with Brian Smith. The entire qb room needs revamped and Rees needs to move on.
2 QB transfers (barring ND tampering with Drake Maye or JJ McCarthy or w/e lol) would be hard to see roster management wise. I'd rather ND get a GT + 2 transfer WRs.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Staff = Tommy Rees. MF was not involved with offense - he has even said so. Rees is OC and QB Coach and was a former QB himself.

He owns the QB Room shitshow. Not taking a Transfer is stupefying. Brian Smith's analysis is spot on concerning Rees.

If Pyne gets hurt we are even further screwed as he didn't give meaningful reps to Angeli.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
Staff = Tommy Rees. MF was not involved with offense - he has even said so. Rees is OC and QB Coach and was a former QB himself.

He owns the QB Room shitshow. Not taking a Transfer is stupefying. Brian Smith's analysis is spot on concerning Rees.

If Pyne gets hurt we are even further screwed as he didn't give meaningful reps to Angeli.
This is pure and utter bullshit.

IF
there is anyone to criticize in the Dante saga, it is MF. He owns this one. Tommy wasn't going around to booster clubs saying, we got our guy and he's going to change college football. It was MF. You don't think any of that got back to any other QB's?

It was MF's choice to take his commitment the way he did and he was the one that hung on admittedly too long. If anyone on this board thinks that Tommy was the one deciding to play things the way they did with Dante and that MF had no say, you are a crazy fool and I got a bridge to sell you.

Sea Turtle

Reaction score
Maybe Rees can build the QB room like Alabamas. I understand 3 QB's from their room a couple of years ago went 3-0 in the NFL last week. Couple that with Young being a top pick next spring and that's a great QB room to try to emulate.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Maybe Rees can build the QB room like Alabamas. I understand 3 QB's from their room a couple of years ago went 3-0 in the NFL last week. Couple that with Young being a top pick next spring and that's a great QB room to try to emulate.
Yeah that is all we should aim for.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

When asked about transfer QBs in the offseason recently Freeman said "they" felt good about the guys they already had on roster. I could be that Freeman was just speaking for the offensive staff, but it felt like he had input on that as well.

Irish4life

Reaction score
When asked about transfer QBs in the offseason recently Freeman said "they" felt good about the guys they already had on roster. I could be that Freeman was just speaking for the offensive staff, but it felt like he had input on that as well.
Bigger failure was not getting 1-2 portal WRs. Buchner struggled with decision making against Marshall but he also got 0 help from his WRs in that game either. Bad combo. Give him an upgrade there, we are 2-1 at worst. Also would've made Pyne's life a HELL of a lot easier going forward.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Bigger failure was not getting 1-2 portal WRs. Buchner struggled with decision making against Marshall but he also got 0 help from his WRs in that game either. Bad combo. Give him an upgrade there, we are 2-1 at worst. Also would've made Pyne's life a HELL of a lot easier going forward.
Not gonna argue on the WRs. If you're a decent WR in the transfer portal though, what's the lure of going to Notre Dame? We were starting a young QB with a questionable arm. Playing time would certainly be a draw, but we haven't exactly been churning out 1,000 yard receivers.

Irish4life

Reaction score
Not gonna argue on the WRs. If you're a decent WR in the transfer portal though, what's the lure of going to Notre Dame? We were starting a young QB with a questionable arm. Playing time would certainly be a draw, but we haven't exactly been churning out 1,000 yard receivers.
Kevin Austin had 888 on 48 receptions in 2021, and if he didn't have as many drops as he did he probably would've been a 1000 yard receiver. And it's not like we've been completely barren at the position (outside of this year....), Chase Claypool wasn't that long ago.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Kevin Austin had 888 on 48 receptions in 2021, and if he didn't have as many drops as he did he probably would've been a 1000 yard receiver. And it's not like we've been completely barren at the position (outside of this year....), Chase Claypool wasn't that long ago.
With Austin it's always been "what if?" WR is a position we've just struggled to recruit and develop well since Weis left. We've had some guys drafted, sure, but not a lot of real dominant guys like Golden, Floyd, or Samardzija. I'd love to get a good WR transfer, but my guess is the talented ones will probably go to a more receiver friendly team and we'll have to scrape the leftovers at the bottom.

irishff1014

Reaction score

Better chance of winning the mega millions. Lol

NDMatt91

Reaction score
I've been as hard on Tommy as anyone, and believe me, he deserves the criticism. He's not a great talent evaluator/recruiter, QB developer, and play-caller. However, being here is not his fault. He has no business being a OC at a program like ND. His promotion by BK and retention by Swarbrick was due to nepotism, IMO. If someone offered me a lot of money to do a job I had no business doing I'd take it, too.

indianamouse

Reaction score
I've been as hard on Tommy as anyone, and believe me, he deserves the criticism. He's not a great talent evaluator/recruiter, QB developer, and play-caller. However, being here is not his fault. He has no business being a OC at a program like ND. His promotion by BK and retention by Swarbrick was due to nepotism, IMO. If someone offered me a lot of money to do a job I had no business doing I'd take it, too.
He had a top 20 offense the last 2 years