Tommy Rees - Offensive Coordinator

ND88

Reaction score
“I respond well to hard coaching,” Pyne said after the game. “Coach Rees, I’ve known him for seven or eight years. He just wants me to be at my best.”

“Certain guys need certain types of coaching in certain moments,” Rees said. “I’m not proud of the language I used, but I know Drew can seek out and handle tough coaching and things to kind of light a fire and create a sense of urgency.”

It’s so dumb he had to explain himself. Tommy has had plenty to explain, but this was not one of those moments. Anyone following ND football with any serious regard saw that and understood completely.

Jiggafini19Deux

The Pope of Greenwich Village
Reaction score
Only outrage is that NBC showed it during the broadcast. Can't imagine Jack was happy about that. Opens the program up to negative PR.

giphy.gif

Dale

Reaction score
Brian Smith does some good analysis in the Florida Area. Good guy.

Alleges could have for sure had a QB that signed in the SEC last year:

Conner Weigman
Ty Simpson
Walker Howard
Gunner Stockton
Sam Horn (GA) - Missouri
Tayven Jackson (IN) - Tennessee
Tanner Bailey (AL) - South Carolina
Holden Geriner (GA) - Auburn

Ranked below Angeli:

Braedyn Locke
AJ Swann
Braden Davis

Probably can assume it’s not any of the Top 4. Probably don’t really care if it was someone ranked lower than him. So you got the 4 I labeled to probably speculate on. Don’t remember really any of them getting ND mentions, though Jackson would be the easy guess.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
Good listen, and as much as I love Tommy and wanted him to succeed, but I agree he is not good at identifying talent. I think Tommy will be a good NFL guy, but this isn't working and it is killing us.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Alleges could have for sure had a QB that signed in the SEC last year:

Conner Weigman
Ty Simpson
Walker Howard
Gunner Stockton
Sam Horn (GA) - Missouri
Tayven Jackson (IN) - Tennessee
Tanner Bailey (AL) - South Carolina
Holden Geriner (GA) - Auburn

Ranked below Angeli:

Braedyn Locke
AJ Swann
Braden Davis

Probably can assume it’s not any of the Top 4. Probably don’t really care if it was someone ranked lower than him. So you got the 4 I labeled to probably speculate on. Don’t remember really any of them getting ND mentions, though Jackson would be the easy guess.
Somehow I thought it was Sam Horn but you are probably right based on geography.

NDMatt91

Reaction score
IIRC, Loy said that Walker Howard would've committed to ND if he was able to get through admissions.

As good as CJ Carr looks, I'd be lying if I wasn't a little bit concerned by the fact that Tommy viewed him as his guy in the 2024 class. His talent evaluation leaves a lot to be desired.

indianamouse

Reaction score
IIRC, Loy said that Walker Howard would've committed to ND if he was able to get through admissions.

As good as CJ Carr looks, I'd be lying if I wasn't a little bit concerned by the fact that Tommy viewed him as his guy in the 2024 class. His talent evaluation leaves a lot to be desired.
I don’t think so. Everyone here was hyped about Buchner. Rees targeted Moore. He got carr. I don’t think his evaluations are off, closing on the other hand…

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Good listen, and as much as I love Tommy and wanted him to succeed, but I agree he is not good at identifying talent. I think Tommy will be a good NFL guy, but this isn't working and it is killing us.
Yes it sucks that he’s hurt and maybe he never gets back to being QB1 for Notre Dame, but the degree to which Buchner is being viewed as a failure of evaluation/development after basically two games as a full-fledged starter is pretty striking.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Yes it sucks that he’s hurt and maybe he never gets back to being QB1 for Notre Dame, but the degree to which Buchner is being viewed as a failure of evaluation/development after basically two games as a full-fledged starter is pretty striking.
Well here is the juxtaposition that shows Rees's failure this year:

Either:
1. You think Tyler Buchner can run the offense including medium to long passing game. If so, he should have been given the Geen Light to pass big-time not this protective dink and dunk short game.

OR

2. You should have gotten Daniels or Slovis.

This is Rees's undoing at ND.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Well here is the juxtaposition that shows Rees's failure this year:

Either:
1. You think Tyler Buchner can run the offense including medium to long passing game. If so, he should have been given the Geen Light to pass big-time not this protective dink and dunk short game.

OR

2. You should have gotten Daniels or Slovis.

This is Rees's undoing at ND.
I only watched the fourth quarter of the Marshall game but didn't they have Buchner throw downfield a fair bit that day, it just didn't connect? I also think the WRs are a factor, and the putrid OL, at least against Ohio State, was a serious problem for any effort to establish a downfield passing game.

Either way, I'm not really talking about Rees here, who I agree has made some sizable errors (not taking a grad transfer this season is probably one of them). I'm talking about the notion that Buchner was a failure of evaluation and development, and basically a bust, because in his first two games starting he looked like a guy who was starting his first two games. I think the jury's still out on him.

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
I only watched the fourth quarter of the Marshall game but didn't they have Buchner throw downfield a fair bit that day, it just didn't connect? I also think the WRs are a factor, and the putrid OL, at least against Ohio State, was a serious problem for any effort to establish a downfield passing game.

Either way, I'm not really talking about Rees here, who I agree has made some sizable errors (not taking a grad transfer this season is probably one of them). I'm talking about the notion that Buchner was a failure of evaluation and development, and basically a bust, because in his first two games starting he looked like a guy who was starting his first two games. I think the jury's still out on him.
Yep, Buchner overthrew downfield routes a few times against Marshall. The OL didn’t hold the pocket together very well either…….

Dale

Reaction score
I think both parties have some point.

- I don’t think Buchner showed anything in Wk 1 or 2 to install confidence he can be a pocket, vertical thrower moving forward.

- He was also completely short changed by OL and WR performance/talent.

Look at Bryce Young in two games versus Georgia last year:

Championship (without Metchie, Williams):

Deep: 2/9
Intermediate: 4/10

SEC Championship (with Williams, mostly with Metchie):

Deep: 2/5
Intermediate: 8/12

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
Why are ppl acting as if this only happens at ND? It happens at every program. Why's it such a big deal if an ND coach does it?
I don’t care if Pyne got chewed out - he deserved it. I got chewed out worse than that in high school sports. Just surprised ND’s own television partner would air potentially negative PR.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Nail on the head. He explained the problems better than anyone I have seen or heard.
Yeah, very well put. There is no answer to QB except a transfer at this point. And for that we'd need someone who can get in AND we have to pay (which there is no indication we will do).

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I didn’t notice any & thought it was funny that Mike Frank thought there was some big outrage from some fans. If there was, it was the minority. He loves to act like all fans never played competitive sports & b/c he’s witnessed some coaches yelling at players at some of the ND practices he attended in the past, that we fans just wouldn’t understand.

I think the majority of fans agreed that Tommy’s message was spot on & right on time. I would hope & expect that the entire staff lit into the entire team in that same manner after the Marshall Embarrassment.
There’s always someone who wants to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Partly it is the comparison with JJ McCarthy who was rejected by Rees and who looks a lot better than Buchner and also all the other factors between those two (JJ seems more hungry to succeed as a QB than Buchner).

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Partly it is the comparison with JJ McCarthy who was rejected by Rees and who looks a lot better than Buchner and also all the other factors between those two (JJ seems more hungry to succeed as a QB than Buchner).
McCarthy's played 3 games against 3 of the worst teams in the FBS with a line that isn't trying to get him killed and more than 1 legitimate and consistent receiver.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't care who JJ has played... he is 100x the passer of Buchner. Can see it in his mechanics and arm talent. Rees either whiffed in development or talent identification, and ND is paying for it. If Angeli isn't a "boom" then ND is heading into a multi-year morass without a stud transfer.

Toki

Reaction score
I haven't seen too much criticism of the viral video and I'm relieved. Anyone who played HS football, basketball and likely any other sport has been "spoken to" like that. Let alone D1 football and the pressure that Tommy Rees is currently under.

I never took it as "wow, that coach has anger issues or he really doesn't like me." I take it as someone who is passionate about the game and has high expectations of me and my teammates to deliver.
You are correct in that,back in the day that stuff was business as usual Today not so much unless away from the cameras.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Based off?
JJ moved states during the covid year so that he could play that season. Buchner did not. Thats not a criticism of Buchner but a comment on how keen JJ is on football.
JJ always seemed right up in the recruitment stuff as well whereas Buchner was not.
Buchner seems balanced, JJ seems hell bent.

Dale

Reaction score
Buchner transferred high schools to play at a higher competition level for his final year. He didn’t know they were gonna push football to the spring in California because it hadn’t been done yet. Not sure what the up in the recruitment part means. He‘d also drive crazy distances to work with the coaches and trainers he did.

Disagree with any notion Buchner is falling short in that department.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score

When the other guy was JJ McCarthy, yeah we are pretty spot on.