RIP...

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

This was really pretty sad. Hall had so many demons for years, problems with alcohol and drugs going back decades. Nash said a lot of it stemmed from PTSD when Hall had to turn an assailant's own gun on him in self defense. After having a pacemaker and defibrillator implanted in himself, and struggling with a number of other issues like seizures, epilepsy, low blood pressure, double pneumonia, and other issues he finally got some help through Diamond Dallas Page. He got completely sober back in 2013 and remained that way for much of the next decade, although it sounds like he did turn back to alcohol during the pandemic because of loneliness. He dropped 70 pounds during that time because of further health issues. He then fell, breaking his hip, and was immobile for days before DDP found him during a wellness check and got him to the hospital. They fixed the hip only to have the blood clot cause three heart attacks in a day which would eventually bring the end.

I remember this appearance on Springer from back in the day. This was mid 90s and still pretty early in the HIV/AIDS disease. There was a lot of hesitancy for people to embrace and support those afflicted. Hall took time out of his schedule (On the road 300+ days each year) to come on the show for these kids. Pretty cool.

He liked to play the bad guy on TV, but behind the scenes he had a big heart. In a business that was often cutthroat Hall was often more friendly than most according to many wrestlers and it showed because he wasn't angling for the title like many were. Even his move to WCW in '96 wasn't about money, it was about getting more time to spend at home with his family. Finally, this was part of his HoF induction speech:

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Madeleine Albright first female Secretary of State has left us at age 84. Served under Clinton.

yankeehater

Reaction score
Longtime Foo Fighters drummer passes unexpectedly while on tour with the band. He was only 50 years old. Grew up here locally in Orange County. Very sad news!

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Just saw that. He grew up idolizing Roger Taylor from Queen and Stewart Copeland from the Police. Can't imagine how Grohl must be feeling now. Lost fellow band member Kurt long before his time, then Hawkins. Unreal.

Here's Hawkins channeling Freddie Mercury though just 9 days ago in Mexico:

Reaction score
don't know how the foo fighters drummer died but i'm still surpised so many rock artists from the 80s when i was a teenager are still alive with all the amounts of drugs and alcohol that many of them did like ozzie

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
don't know how the foo fighters drummer died but i'm still surpised so many rock artists from the 80s when i was a teenager are still alive with all the amounts of drugs and alcohol that many of them did like ozzie

Hawkins OD'd once before, Grohl sat by his bedside while he was in a coma. I thought he got cleaned up, but there's some reports that a number of substances were found in his system. No idea how valid that is since autopsies usually take awhile.

I knew that the drummer from Queen, Roger Taylor, was Hawkins' first inspiration to start playing drums. What I didn't know was in '99 Hawkins considered leaving Foo Fighters to join Axl Rose in a revamped Guns N Roses lineup. He called up Roger Taylor and Roger talked him out of it. He told him it's not the same without having your old band mates around.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Hawkins OD'd once before, Grohl sat by his bedside while he was in a coma. I thought he got cleaned up, but there's some reports that a number of substances were found in his system. No idea how valid that is since autopsies usually take awhile.

I knew that the drummer from Queen, Roger Taylor, was Hawkins' first inspiration to start playing drums. What I didn't know was in '99 Hawkins considered leaving Foo Fighters to join Axl Rose in a revamped Guns N Roses lineup. He called up Roger Taylor and Roger talked him out of it. He told him it's not the same without having your old band mates around.

Colombia’s Attorney General’s Office released a preliminary “forensic medical study” Saturday following the death of Foo Fighters’ drummer Taylor Hawkins.

The report said a urine toxicology test was carried out on Hawkins and 10 substances were found, including THC, tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines and opioids.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
I suspect most folks’ first reaction was that he relapsed. Really sad. I believe he was addicted to heroin when he was at his lowest and Grohl supported him through rehab and he‘d been clean since. RIP

Greenore

Reaction score
Just shocked about Taylor Hawkins. Shocked, angry and sad. An amazing talent in one of the greatest bands in the world. The connection between Hawkins and Grohl was very deep... I don't see how the band moves forward (if they want to).

One of my favorite Rockumentaries is "Back and Forth". It is such an epic look into the evolution of Foo Fighters. Even if you are on the fence with the band, it is worth the watch. One of the most honest films I have ever watched.

RIP Taylor.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Rogue219

Reaction score
This one hit me pretty hard. Just made for a bit of a sour weekend, to be honest. His poor wife and kids, man.

Read Dave Grohl's book a few months ago. For him to have now lost Cobain and Hawkins, even as many years apart as they were, I don't know how you can carry that kind of grief.

Terribly sad on so many levels.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
For some of you older guys.

Gene Shue former NBA player and coach has passed away at 90. Was an All Star and coached the Bullets, 76'ers and Clippers.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Lee Rose, who led Purdue and Charlotte to the men’s Final Four, has died. He was 85.

UNC Charlotte said Rose died Tuesday in Charlotte. The school did not provide a cause of death.

Rose led the 49ers to the 1976 NIT championship game and to the school’s only Final Four in 1977. He went 72-18 in three years at Charlotte before taking over at Purdue. He spent just two seasons with the Boilermakers, going 50-18 and going to the Final Four in 1979.

After that, he spent the next six years at South Florida amassing a 106-69 record, although the Bulls never made the NCAA Tournament.

irishandy

Reaction score
I am still saddened and shocked by the death of Taylor Hawkins death. I've been a fan of the Foo Fighters their whole career. They are a fun band to watch. On the stage and off the stage Dave and Taylor had a great friendship.

Taylor had a great appreciate for music.

RIP to his family and the band.

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
Haskins had to be on something to walk across an interstate. What a shame. RIP

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Holy crap...Gilbert Gottfriend has passed away at 67 from a long time illness. Unreal, we've lost three great comics in the span of a year. They were all really close too. Bob and Norm were like brothers. Gilbert often worked with Norm in standup and on his podcast.

Official cause of death: Recurrent Ventricular Tachycardia due to Myotonic Dystrophy type II.

FQKvFQpXMAgqJiB

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Holy crap...Gilbert Gottfriend has passed away at 67 from a long time illness. Unreal, we've lost three great comics in the span of a year. They were all really close too. Bob and Norm were like brothers. Gilbert often worked with Norm in standup and on his podcast.

Official cause of death: Recurrent Ventricular Tachycardia due to Myotonic Dystrophy type II.

FQKvFQpXMAgqJiB
Imagine those guys telling jokes in a better place

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Robert Morse best known recently for his role on Mad Men passed at 90. Did movies early in his career but gravitated toward Broadway.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
How did I miss that? The first Irish QB I remember. The dude lit up the AFL. RIP Daryle.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
The Irish great, Daryle Lamonica passed today at 80 years old

RIP Mad Bomber

images

Oh man. RIP. Great college & pro QB who had bad timing. Played for ND pre-Ara so they never competed for NC. Then he became one of the earliest QB in pro ball to really air it out while other QB were just attempting high percentage passes which showed them w/ better numbers & less interceptions. He’ll probably always be considered as a member of the Hall of Very Good but his numbers are comparable or better than lots of HOF QBs, including Joe Namath.