'24 AZ EDGE Elijah Rushing (Offer)

FLDomer

Polish Hammer
Reaction score
If this is all the case I hope ND doesn’t waste their time on this kid…unless ND all of the sudden loosened up on their NIL philosophy.

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score
If this is all the case I hope ND doesn’t waste their time on this kid…unless ND all of the sudden loosened up on their NIL philosophy.
Idk, at least have him visit and get him on campus. We’re not out anything there. Have an honest conversation with the parents and see what they’re looking to get out of their son’s recruitment.

If we’re not on the same page, then move on at that point…but don’t shut the door before we have to.

FLDomer

Polish Hammer
Reaction score
Idk, at least have him visit and get him on campus. We’re not out anything there. Have an honest conversation with the parents and see what they’re looking to get out of their son’s recruitment.

If we’re not on the same page, then move on at that point…but don’t shut the door before we have to.
If he comes to us, I agree. I just wouldn’t waste the time chasing him.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
Yeah if he wants upfront money there are other guys we won't have a problem filling our DL class out with I'm fine with Justin Scott, Owen Wolfe, the smith Twins and Bryce Young that's a hell of a haul. Maybe add 2 more guys and should be golden

irishff1014

Reaction score

I’ll second this.

irish2104

Reaction score
If will only commit with upfront NIL money then why in the world would the Freeman even visit him or let him take a visit? Makes absolutely no sense

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If will only commit with upfront NIL money then why in the world would the Freeman even visit him or let him take a visit? Makes absolutely no sense
First of all, this is secondhand info from one person so maybe there are conversations going on that we're not aware of that give a different perspective.

Secondly, I think this is the perfect time for Freeman to do so. Be very aggressive early with this type of prospect. Visit them, get them on campus, get them engaged with commits, staff, other visitors, etc. and see if you can't get them to focus on something else. Narrow the board down and move your attention elsewhere as the cycle progresses.

IAIrish

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
First of all, this is secondhand info from one person so maybe there are conversations going on that we're not aware of that give a different perspective.

Secondly, I think this is the perfect time for Freeman to do so. Be very aggressive early with this type of prospect. Visit them, get them on campus, get them engaged with commits, staff, other visitors, etc. and see if you can't get them to focus on something else. Narrow the board down and move your attention elsewhere as the cycle progresses.
Agreed. Now is the perfect time to fact find about these kids and their/circles priorities. It doesn't seem like there are any shortage of prospects at this point, which is a credit to Washington/ Freeman.
Watching Rushing/Mayo/Young, I'd be fine with either if those 3 at strongside.

NDMD

Reaction score

Always good to get firsthand information before making a decision. Can't imagine the staff would have success taking information from anonymous 247 posters.

But even if legitimate, by the time he graduates there's no guarantees NIL will remain in the same iteration (either nation-wide or ND's stance towards it). Makes sense to establish some relationship so we're not playing catchup if circumstances change.

NDWarrior

Reaction score
It seems to me the only challenges for this strategy to get the high 4- and 5-star recruits would be 1) there is only so much time in the year to recruit - esp. supporting on-campus roll-out-the-red carpet affairs - so hopefully, coaches are getting good at determining upfront if they are dealing with a CJ Carr, Sam Hartman, Drayk Bowen, etc. (top recruits/transfers who seem to be truly interested in what ND offers - a fan!) and who are not going to turn out to be a Keeley or P Bowen; 2) there is the late-year top-5 school flip risk (mix in NIL $$$) that can kill all that work and time investment up to then. I guess there is always going to be risk with high 4- and 5-star recruits so they just need to get efficient at both the upfront filtering process and the contingency management.

jprue24

Reaction score
It seems to me the only challenges for this strategy to get the high 4- and 5-star recruits would be 1) there is only so much time in the year to recruit - esp. supporting on-campus roll-out-the-red carpet affairs - so hopefully, coaches are getting good at determining upfront if they are dealing with a CJ Carr, Sam Hartman, Drayk Bowen, etc. (top recruits/transfers who seem to be truly interested in what ND offers - a fan!) and who are not going to turn out to be a Keeley or P Bowen; 2) there is the late-year top-5 school flip risk (mix in NIL $$$) that can kill all that work and time investment up to then. I guess there is always going to be risk with high 4- and 5-star recruits so they just need to get efficient at both the upfront filtering process and the contingency management.
So back to the Brian Kelly RKG method?

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score
TIFWIW, but there is a poster at 247 saying he knows a friend of the family and ND will have to pay to win this recruitment.
Not going to win many battles at that level of DE unless you are paying going forward. Most parents know what they have and want that bag.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I think they know early on who is going to be high maintenance and their potential risk when recruiting them.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not going to win many battles at that level of DE unless you are paying going forward. Most parents know what they have and want that bag.
While I agree this is what it will take for the top few, maybe several, DE's each cycle. It wouldn't have required that for Okwara or Foskey. Who, have very similar impacts to those guys.

The game will still be one and lost by who plays on the field. And, evaluation trumps all. Sometimes those, recruiting site, 5 star evaluations are right. Sometimes, the same production comes in the form of a 4 star athlete that needs development.