2023 QB Cycle Big Board

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Are we even certain BK will be there more than 3 years or so?
Mai Tais and the golf course is calling

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m just curious what is going to happen on ND message board if BK actually succeeds at LSU?
He won’t in year 1 because their roster fell apart the past year, but after that?
He will succeed... he's too good of a coach and program builder not to.

BK is a better program manager than Les Miles and Ed O, and they won championships... that portends well for BK, even if he isn't the recruiter those guys were.

Ed O was an elite recruiter, but he won a natty because he lucked into a stud QB/OC combo, not to mention one of the best WR groups the sport has seen. Miles built a talent base that simply couldn't fail in its best years, despite his best efforts at cratering his own program with poor game management and oddball decision making.

BK won't have the shortfalls that those guys have, and it will be easier for him to recruit a skill group to pair with whatever QB he lucks into... and he will luck into a QB at some point over his contract.

My best guess is that BK will have a 9-3 baseline, where he loses to the best teams he faces (as usual), but will build towards beating the most challenging team on his schedule every third season with a meticulous ramping up (also as usual; he seemed to know which years he was building towards a good run at ND).

The question is if he can play the NIL and transfer portal games well enough to accelerate that, and compete with Saban every 2 years instead of every 3 or 4.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
I don't really care how well he does, I really just don't want him to win a championship. Ideally he'll never win a playoff game.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score

BK is a better program manager than Les Miles and Ed O, and they won championships... that portends well for BK, even if he isn't the recruiter those guys were.

Ed O was an elite recruiter, but he won a natty because he lucked into a stud QB/OC combo, not to mention one of the best WR groups the sport has seen. Miles built a talent base that simply couldn't fail in its best years, despite his best efforts at cratering his own program with poor game management and oddball decision making.

BK won't have the shortfalls that those guys have, and it will be easier for him to recruit a skill group to pair with whatever QB he lucks into... and he will luck into a QB at some point over his contract.

My best guess is that BK will have a 9-3 baseline, where he loses to the best teams he faces (as usual), but will build towards beating the most challenging team on his schedule every third season with a meticulous ramping up (also as usual; he seemed to know which years he was building towards a good run at ND).

The question is if he can play the NIL and transfer portal games well enough to accelerate that, and compete with Saban every 2 years instead of every 3 or 4.

This... He will recruit around the top 10 every year which probably wouldn't have been enough to knock off Bama, but he will have the transfer portal at his disposal to fill in any gaps. I mean LSU took 15 transfers... Kelly would have been lucky to get 2 a year at ND.

Really the only question is will he be able to win a championship, which will likely require having to beat Bama and UGA in the same season. Maybe one of those twice. Not easy for any coach.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score

All of this. He brought ND back from a perpetual 5-8 win team to 2 undefeated seasons, 5 seasons of 10+ wins in a row.

Odds are he'll eventually get a good QB, my money is on him at LSU for 7+ unless he develops a penchant for hitting on young female staffers. Which he wasn't known for at ND so I don't think he'd just let go in the south but he did develop an accent rather quickly so who knows.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
BK will be just successful enough not to be fired for cause.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
Does the record matter then? I thought for cause was outside of football actions.
If you get fired because you didn't win enough games, you did not get fired "for cause" unless it was stipulated in the contract that you had to meet a certain win record to retain your job. Not sure if that's ever been in any head coach's contract ever.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that BK will do quite well at LSU. Make them a lot more consistent than they have been in recent years. He's a program builder and that's what they need. Figure 10 wins a year once he gets his systems in place. But: Beat Bama and Georgia? IDK.
And that's the real job there isn't it?

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
I guess my question should have been is if Kelly goes 6-6 for three straight years. Can LSU fire him based on record and not give him all the money owed to him (fired without cause), OR will they throw coeds at him or try to get him drunk driving or something to find the "cause" so they aren't paying out the ass to fire him?

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
I guess my question should have been is if Kelly goes 6-6 for three straight years. Can LSU fire him based on record and not give him all the money owed to him (fired without cause), OR will they throw coeds at him or try to get him drunk driving or something to find the "cause" so they aren't paying out the ass to fire him?
They would owe him the money unless they can prove he violated some clause of his contract.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that BK will do quite well at LSU. Make them a lot more consistent than they have been in recent years. He's a program builder and that's what they need. Figure 10 wins a year once he gets his systems in place. But: Beat Bama and Georgia? IDK.
Idk if he'll be able to beat the OUs and TAMUs let alone the big dogs.

Kelly's track record against upper, not elite, teams hasn't been that great either. And elite teams? Nothing

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
I think Coach O had such a Mid-life mess that he set up the situation perfectly for Brian Kelly and his agent. BK will do well - LSU can get the elite playmakers that he couldn’t at ND. He won’t do stupid embarrassing shit other than grinding w his recruits. He probably has 4 years minimum because he will be a good manager of the program.

Brian Kelly and his Agent couldn’t imagine such a perfect situation for taking a major program to the cleaners.

Reaper97

Reaction score
BK will be just successful enough not to be fired for cause.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Wins/losses isn’t a factor in being “fired for cause.”
If he is fired for coaching performance he still is guaranteed the $95 million as long as he doesn’t coach elsewhere afterwards within that 10 year window.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
Wins/losses isn’t a factor in being “fired for cause.”
If he is fired for coaching performance he still is guaranteed the $95 million as long as he doesn’t coach elsewhere afterwards within that 10 year window.
That's not what he's saying. Read between the lines and see he's saying he'll be just successful enough to keep the administration from rooting around looking for cause.

Reaper97

Reaction score
That's not what he's saying. Read between the lines and see he's saying he'll be just successful enough to keep the administration from rooting around looking for cause.
BK is literally the last HC on earth you will dig something up on.
He never goes out, doesn’t hang around players, let alone co-Ed’s, & pretty much sits at home drinking wine.
He even stopped yelling at players after Charmin soft ND fans got all butthurt at him screaming at QBs for being idiots.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
BK is literally the last HC on earth you will dig something up on.
He never goes out, doesn’t hang around players, let alone co-Ed’s, & pretty much sits at home drinking wine.
He even stopped yelling at players after Charmin soft ND fans got all butthurt at him screaming at QBs for being idiots.
I'm not arguing that shit and neither was Piombino.

He was only saying BK will be successful enough that they won't have to go and dig something up or fabricate sh!t to get rid of him and his massive contract. That's it. And I agree with the sentiment.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
I'm seriously at the point where I just keep recruiting the original 3 trying to flip them and if we strike out hit the portal

NDMatt91

Reaction score
I'm seriously at the point where I just keep recruiting the original 3 trying to flip them and if we strike out hit the portal
Imagine how bad it would be if Rees didn’t land Carr. My guess is the majority of this board would want Rees gone.

INLaw

Reaction score
Anybody listen to the Lemming interview on the inside indy sports podcast? First 20 minutes but a pretty blunt summation of where we are with current targers, potential nil losses, and his nil related thoughts on moore and father bophades moore. He (like Sampson) is usually pretty careful with their words so I thought it was bold by Lemming standards.

allenm5333

Reaction score
Anybody listen to the Lemming interview on the inside indy sports podcast? First 20 minutes but a pretty blunt summation of where we are with current targers, potential nil losses, and his nil related thoughts on moore and father bophades moore. He (like Sampson) is usually pretty careful with their words so I thought it was bold by Lemming standards.
Link or summary?

lcaps20

Reaction score
Link or summary?

On Dante - Mom & Dante wanted ND, Dad wanted Oregon. Stopped communication with both Vizzina and Avery Johnson. Says they slow played Jackson Arnold.

Says CJ is the real deal, but ND needs to change their recruiting strategy to recruit 4-5 QB's and let the first one commit who wants in.

Very bullish on ND's recruiting but they need to figure out how to get an elite QB to get over the hump.

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score

On Dante - Mom & Dante wanted ND, Dad wanted Oregon. Stopped communication with both Vizzina and Avery Johnson. Says they slow played Jackson Arnold.

Says CJ is the real deal, but ND needs to change their recruiting strategy to recruit 4-5 QB's and let the first one commit who wants in.

Very bullish on ND's recruiting but they need to figure out how to get an elite QB to get over the hump.

I hate that even guys like Lemming are running with this slow played Arnold thing. By all accounts they would’ve taken his commitment at anytime. This is obvious just from the perspective of a fan. That kid had an article written on him every week back when Dante Moore was still thought to be a Michigan lock. I thought Jackson would’ve pooped at anytime for the good guys but then OU hired Lebby.

Arnold was a wanted man.

Dale

Reaction score
I saw a OU piece recently that even admitted Arnold kinda hastily committed to OU because of infatuation with Lebby and through his other visits has grown to actually like OU as a whole more. It seems he always liked Lebby first, Rees second but never saw himself at Ole Miss so had the coaching carousel not moved I think would have been Irish. The second Lebby moved up Arnold was gonna follow him

irish4ever

Reaction score
I hate that even guys like Lemming are running with this slow played Arnold thing. By all accounts they would’ve taken his commitment at anytime. This is obvious just from the perspective of a fan. That kid had an article written on him every week back when Dante Moore was still thought to be a Michigan lock. I thought Jackson would’ve pooped at anytime for the good guys but then OU hired Lebby.

Arnold was a wanted man.
Which is what he actually did on the ND offer. Just saying ....

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score
No lies detected during that segment.