'18 SC QB Sam Hartman (Notre Dame Transfer)

Grahambo

Varsity Club Member
Reaction score
He shall drink from the skull of Lincoln Riley

giphy.gif

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
I am pretty excited to see how the offense goes.

I'm just excited that we should finally have an absolutely concrete answer to the "is Tommy a good gameday OC" question.

If he can't put up big boy numbers with this personnel, it'll be pretty much irrefutable that he's not a championship caliber playcaller. If he does put up big numbers, we'll have proof positive in a way that we've never had before.

T-Boone

Reaction score
I'm just excited that we should finally have an absolutely concrete answer to the "is Tommy a good gameday OC" question.

If he can't put up big boy numbers with this personnel, it'll be pretty much irrefutable that he's not a championship caliber playcaller. If he does put up big numbers, we'll have proof positive in a way that we've never had before.
Yep - though I’ve never doubted he is a pretty good play caller. It is other things but he certainly has recruited well over the last 6 months.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

My feelings exactly.

irishandy

Reaction score
Huuuuge pick up! My hope is that ND didn't make the wrong decision in getting Hartman instead of Card, but Card has 3 years of eligibility left.

My beef with Tommy is that during the Kelly era I think BK still had his hands in calling the plays & controlling the offensive side of the ball. I think last year was where Tommy had more/full control of the offense.

Not only does this help the QB room, this will make our WR's better, look at Wake Forrest's WR's from the past couple of years.

I see no reason why he cannot continue putting up big numbers, no knock on Wake Forrest, but ND goes after better talent when recruiting.

What WR benefits the most? ND has to have a 1,000 receiver next year.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
Huuuuge pick up! My hope is that ND didn't make the wrong decision in getting Hartman instead of Card, but Card has 3 years of eligibility left.

My beef with Tommy is that during the Kelly era I think BK still had his hands in calling the plays & controlling the offensive side of the ball. I think last year was where Tommy had more/full control of the offense.

Not only does this help the QB room, this will make our WR's better, look at Wake Forrest's WR's from the past couple of years.

I see no reason why he cannot continue putting up big numbers, no knock on Wake Forrest, but ND goes after better talent when recruiting.

What WR benefits the most? ND has to have a 1,000 receiver next year.
More? Who else would have control?

So you're beef was really with Kelly and you just took it out on Rees, got it.

I believe ND has only had 10 instances of 1,000 yards receiving in it's entire history and none since Fuller in 2015. We do not HAVE to have a 1,000 receiver now. Also, looking at the list who has had a season like that, I don't see anyone on the roster capable.

Last edited:

Irish4life

Reaction score

I believe ND has only had 10 instances of 1,000 yards receiving in it's entire history and none since Fuller in 2015. We do not HAVE to have a 1,000 receiver now. Also, looking at the list who has had a season like that, I don't see anyone on the roster capable.
Claypool 2019

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
Claypool 2019
Thank you missed him. I still stand by we don't have a surefire NFL guy in the WR room (at least not one that's developed into one yet) and those have been the guys to achieve 1k in yards.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
I think Tobias has 1,000 yard potential even Styles if he figures it out. But there’s quite a lot of guys who deserve to be playing next year I would rather see us spread the ball around. Thomas, Colzie, Tobias, Styles, and the VT WR should all have potential to be between 500-700 yards but I think you’ll see us get the RB’s into action catching balls more. Diggs is a good WR, Tyree and Jadarian price as well

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score

I'd rather have 3-4 700+ yard guys and another 4-5 200+ yard guys.
Spread the ball and make everyone involved and happy.
Sam will make this offense potent and it will be able to run the ball even easier.
No more loading the box daring the quarterback to win.

irishandy

Reaction score

The long f'ing snapper should have more control...don't think too hard on it!

I think ND has potential to have a 1,000 yard receiver.

bobbyok1

Dominates Wiffle Ball
Reaction score
Best thing is that we have a couple lighter games before Ohio State next year to give the IOL time to jell and Hartman/Rees to go through any growing pains.
Agreed, when I looked at the schedule it was like a sigh of relief. We've had very few years where we get three games to gear up and prepare for the big boys.

bobbyok1

Dominates Wiffle Ball
Reaction score
That run in the middle is rough though. OSU, USC, Wake, Clemson, Stanford. Every week there's going to be drama of some sort.
Agreed that there is a stretch of some of our toughest games. And yet, it is really 3 of the 5 you listed. Wake and Stanford should not even be close.

OSU, USC, and Clemson will determine what our season ends up like. 10-2, 11-1, 12-0 heading into the playoffs? If we lose all three of those it would be seen as a failed season for whatever reasons. There are SEC teams that have to make runs like this (not all of them by far). No reason why we can't as well if we are a top tier team.

NDMD

Reaction score
Best thing is that we have a couple lighter games before Ohio State next year to give the IOL time to jell and Hartman/Rees to go through any growing pains.
Hotel situation for ND v OSU weekend is already ROUGH. Going to be a great atmosphere

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Yeah in my opinion that's not the ultimate difference maker you need game reps. We saw this season the difference between the OL early in the season and the OL late in the season.

Wouldn't that be true of all teams' OLs? Meaning, if we played OSU early, like last season, their OL line would also not be in sync either. So it doesn't seem like its a competitive advantage one way or the other.

FWIrish4

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be true of all teams' OLs? Meaning, if we played OSU early, like last season, their OL line would also not be in sync either. So it doesn't seem like its a competitive advantage one way or the other.
I think it depends on the style of team and how much it relies on oline play. ND relies on their OL a bit more with the ground and pound style than OSU, at least in recent history.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
I think it depends on the style of team and how much it relies on oline play. ND relies on their OL a bit more with the ground and pound style than OSU, at least in recent history.

Yea OSU has had the better WR Room. I gotta think we get at least on WR transfer to match with Hartman to combine with all the young studs.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Hotel situation for ND v OSU weekend is already ROUGH. Going to be a great atmosphere
Hop on AirBnb if you can get a decent sized group. I've had a lot of success booking a house with 10-15 people and it knocks the price down to less than $100/night and way more comfortable than a hotel.

Otherwise, yeah I've had to find places 45-60mins outside of South Bend to make it more affordable but it isn't ideal. The hotels are a nightmare around Michiana in the fall.

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
Hop on AirBnb if you can get a decent sized group. I've had a lot of success booking a house with 10-15 people and it knocks the price down to less than $100/night and way more comfortable than a hotel.

Otherwise, yeah I've had to find places 45-60mins outside of South Bend to make it more affordable but it isn't ideal. The hotels are a nightmare around Michiana in the fall.

Until you have to Poop