NHL Thread

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Messages
6,678
Reaction score
6,469
Watching the pens/wings game right now… super funny vibe. No announcers but you get all audio from officials and all the arena music, but you can’t hear the crowd or ice. So it’s silence, then a tripping call comes in followed by arena organ music then back to silence lol
I didn't watch but was keeping tabs. 7-4 preseason win must mean the playoff draught will soon be over!

Always nice to beat the Pens even in an exhibition. If nothing else, the Larkin saga should be quite entertaining as we enter the regular season.
 

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
I didn't watch but was keeping tabs. 7-4 preseason win must mean the playoff draught will soon be over!

Always nice to beat the Pens even in an exhibition. If nothing else, the Larkin saga should be quite entertaining as we enter the regular season.

Yeah but the Scotapino scored so go fuck yourself
 

choo choo

crusty veteran
Messages
1,040
Reaction score
548
Interested to see just what the preds will do. Not expecting a cup run for sure. Totally different look. Think Bruno is on the hot seat early
 

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
So I was thinking, and I honestly cannot remember a big four sports league season with this many interesting storylines. Every league has multiple stories every year, of course, but not like this… this is definitely the NHL season to lock in if you're at all into the sport.

-Edmonton and Babs… will he be the difference there, find redemption for everyone, or will he be the final nail in their window’s coffin?
-Last dance for Kane in Chicago, and can the Hawks take a step?
-The whole state of Pennsylvania. Can either team do it again and make the playoffs, and if either fails, will that team FINALLY start a rebuild?
-Did St. Louis really pull off one of the fastest, best turnarounds in recent memory?
-The drama with Helly and Lark in Winnipeg and Detroit: what happens there? And who will land either?
-San Jose will def be fun, but are they really a contender already?
-The Ducks must succeed this year, or good lord, what do they do for the next five years??
-Will the cap finally hinder Vegas?
-Will Captain America bounce back and take Toronto back to the playoffs? Will they actually play a balanced style with that coach?? Just like with the Oilers it's a massive risk/reward thing,...
-Can Ottawa survive the drama with Brady behind them and stay in the hunt? Will they actually take a step?
-Florida,… MY WORD… they took the top five best goons/rats in the league list and said, we will take six of them. Florida vs. San Jose will be a super fun contrast in styles this year. Must watch sports there
-Ovi and Malkin’s goodbye??
-Did the Avs let their window slip away last year?
-Dallas… are they this year’s Carolina?
-Can the Sabres do it again?
-What to make of the Wild? What happens with Quinn?
-Is Utah really that good? And if so that sucks for Yotes fans, just like Whalers and Nordiques fans who watched their long-suffering teams leave and quickly become contenders.
-If the Pens struggle early… Crosby?
-Flames won’t be that interesting but last season in the Saddledome, last of the old school barns, is worth a home game or two.

I'm super hyped for next week.
 
Last edited:

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
Bolts for the Cup.... calling my shot

Wow,… if I had to pick a ‘contender’ that falls short and struggles they might be my pick. I’m interested what happens in Edmonton,… if I were forced to pick a cup winner now,… prob Dallas with about five percent confidence lol. Edmonton, Florida, Carolina, all in there too.


Oh!! Another crazy story line I forgot, Jersey,… do they make the trade?? If they do are they contenders?? They have to be a prime bounce back candidate regardless
 

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Messages
2,945
Reaction score
3,159
Wow,… if I had to pick a ‘contender’ that falls short and struggles they might be my pick. I’m interested what happens in Edmonton,… if I were forced to pick a cup winner now,… prob Dallas with about five percent confidence lol. Edmonton, Florida, Carolina, all in there too.


Oh!! Another crazy story line I forgot, Jersey,… do they make the trade?? If they do are they contenders?? They have to be a prime bounce back candidate regardless

I am in MN, so the Wild are my defacto team, even though I am a bigger TB fan. We aren't really sure what is going on with Quinn, but spirts are down, most don't think Billy G will get it done.

TB, massive let down the last few years. We are hoping with have a solid #2 goalie to give Vassy more rest. I think adding Mikheyev is big. A lot have penciled him in on the 3rd line, but has been with Kutch and Pointer in the pre-season. Our 3rd line of Zegmus, Pontus and Yanni G will bang bodies. Viel/Sabs/Geekie is a MASSIVE 4th line

Edit to mention our 2nd line of: Hagel, Tony C, Guentzel
 
Last edited:

FU BK

Well-known member
Messages
1,989
Reaction score
3,135
I am in MN, so the Wild are my defacto team, even though I am a bigger TB fan. We aren't really sure what is going on with Quinn, but spirts are down, most don't think Billy G will get it done.

TB, massive let down the last few years. We are hoping with have a solid #2 goalie to give Vassy more rest. I think adding Mikheyev is big. A lot have penciled him in on the 3rd line, but has been with Kutch and Pointer in the pre-season. Our 3rd line of Zegmus, Pontus and Yanni G will bang bodies. Viel/Sabs/Geekie is a MASSIVE 4th line

Edit to mention our 2nd line of: Hagel, Tony C, Guentzel
Mikheyev is such a stud on the PK. Honestly cannot believe that Davidsons dumbass let him go. Hawks were complete shit except for the penalty kill. I was rooting for the wild in the playoffs, wanted to see Folingo get another cup playing with his brother
 

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
Not signing Guent is my biggest wtf on my pens in the last ten years… also, BG took his shot, even if it doesn’t work out, can’t blame him for trying
 

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
Panthers Hurricanes is a hell of a way to kick things off... Habs Leafs directly after...two very interesting games.

I have no idea who to go with this year for the cup this year but I do think the Leafs are the most obviously improved team from the end of last year to now (even before the trade, which I think might be a wash)... I wonder how well things come together in Florida; will Dallas' lack of depth bite them, will Helley to Buffalo happen? All more info needed for me.

If I had to drop some wild prediction... a left field hot take I think could actually happen... The Ottawa Senators get some revenge and finish higher in the Atlantic standings than the Panthers do.

But let's get this going; I'm excited.
 

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Messages
2,945
Reaction score
3,159
Went to the MN Wild practice today. They practice 2 blocks from my office. Standouts today

Quinn Hughes = Good
Matt Boldy = Good
Blake Coleman = Good

No Faber as he broke his face or skull or some shit.

Either way, GO BOLTS
 

TorontoGold

Mr. Dumb Moron
Messages
8,079
Reaction score
6,175
Panthers Hurricanes is a hell of a way to kick things off... Habs Leafs directly after...two very interesting games.

I have no idea who to go with this year for the cup this year but I do think the Leafs are the most obviously improved team from the end of last year to now (even before the trade, which I think might be a wash)... I wonder how well things come together in Florida; will Dallas' lack of depth bite them, will Helley to Buffalo happen? All more info needed for me.

If I had to drop some wild prediction... a left field hot take I think could actually happen... The Ottawa Senators get some revenge and finish higher in the Atlantic standings than the Panthers do.

But let's get this going; I'm excited.

Leafs sit somewhere between the pre-Kirby Georgia and current Nebraska. If you want to numb yourself just become a Leafs fan. Emotional terrorists.
 

402puck

Dee Snutzs
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
3,301
I just legitimately have no idea where the scoring is going to come from outside the top 6???
 

KPENN

Well-known member
Staff member
Messages
13,640
Reaction score
13,435
Good start for the Flyers last night with the Leafs losing
 

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Messages
2,945
Reaction score
3,159
I just legitimately have no idea where the scoring is going to come from outside the top 6???

Check this out. It's how I would do my lines right now, with Yanni and James out.

https://puckpedia.com/lineups/tampa-bay-lightning

When they are back, I would go

3) Gonzo James Geekie

4) Viel Harkins Holmberg

5) Zig Gourde Sabs


Someone is getting traded or sent down. Most likely

- Geekie to AHL
- Harkins waived then sent to AHL
- Gourde - Trade
- Zig - Trade
 

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
OK, since my boys get going tonight,...

I will say this, and I'm sure my Flyers fans on here will agree with the notion for their suck-ass team,.... IF the Pens miss the playoffs this year, I want them to REALLY miss it and force a rebuild, and draft high. The last thing I want is for them to hang around all year, miss the playoffs in the last week, and rinse and repeat next season.
 

402puck

Dee Snutzs
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
3,301
Check this out. It's how I would do my lines right now, with Yanni and James out.

https://puckpedia.com/lineups/tampa-bay-lightning

When they are back, I would go

3) Gonzo James Geekie

4) Viel Harkins Holmberg

5) Zig Gourde Sabs


Someone is getting traded or sent down. Most likely

- Geekie to AHL
- Harkins waived then sent to AHL
- Gourde - Trade
- Zig - Trade
Why would you keep Sabourin? He offers absolutely nothing besides being a fighter, and they brought in Viel for that role who can also kind of contribute. Sabs should be the odd man out of those 5. It’s make or break for Geekie as well, but until he proves he can score at this level I will remain skeptical.

Gourde is not gonna get traded, no one is taking that contract.

The bottom six is going to struggle to score, I’m generally happy with BriseBois’ offseason but with cap left over it’s frustrating they didn’t go find some depth scoring. (Thought it would be Mikeyhev but it looks like he’s gonna play with Point and Kuch to start)
 

402puck

Dee Snutzs
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
3,301
Check this out. It's how I would do my lines right now, with Yanni and James out.

https://puckpedia.com/lineups/tampa-bay-lightning

When they are back, I would go

3) Gonzo James Geekie

4) Viel Harkins Holmberg

5) Zig Gourde Sabs


Someone is getting traded or sent down. Most likely

- Geekie to AHL
- Harkins waived then sent to AHL
- Gourde - Trade
- Zig - Trade
I will say, if Geekie can take a next step, that Gonzo-James-Geekie line could be sneaky good, which would leave a 4th line of Viel-Gourde-Holmberg…which not too bad actually
 

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
Best part of this game has been Scotapino Nick Robertson opens the season!! Hoping for a big year there.
 
Top