NHL Thread

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,728
Reaction score
12,159
If not the best contrast in styles, certainly the most interesting, goes down tonight with panthers/ sharks
 

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Messages
2,939
Reaction score
3,158
Why would you keep Sabourin? He offers absolutely nothing besides being a fighter, and they brought in Viel for that role who can also kind of contribute. Sabs should be the odd man out of those 5. It’s make or break for Geekie as well, but until he proves he can score at this level I will remain skeptical.

Gourde is not gonna get traded, no one is taking that contract.

The bottom six is going to struggle to score, I’m generally happy with BriseBois’ offseason but with cap left over it’s frustrating they didn’t go find some depth scoring. (Thought it would be Mikeyhev but it looks like he’s gonna play with Point and Kuch to start)

Sabs is a better player then you think. He provides non stop energy, is actually really good defensively and has some decent hockey IQ. Players play bigger when he is in the line up. Coop pushed JBB to get tougher and more physical. Sabs provides that when needed against teams like FLA.

Viel fills a much needed role and I get why he was signed. He can play up and down the line up in a pinch, where Sabs is at best a 3rd line guy. Having both in the line up makes TB a tougher team to play against .

Not sure what your level of hockey career was (not a slight, or dig, I just don't know you) but having played 2 years of Junior, I personally buy into the value of having guys like Sabourin on your team and in the line up. That's just my opinion and thoughts, not saying either of us is right or wrong.
 

KPENN

Well-known member
Staff member
Messages
13,614
Reaction score
13,358
Half ass a rebuild, no 1C or 1D, hire a shitty coach just cause he scored some goals for you. 13 years of this shit 🫩
 

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Messages
2,939
Reaction score
3,158
Gourde is not gonna get traded, no one is taking that contract.

The bottom six is going to struggle to score, I’m generally happy with BriseBois’ offseason but with cap left over it’s frustrating they didn’t go find some depth scoring. (Thought it would be Mikeyhev but it looks like he’s gonna play with Point and Kuch to start)

Add these to the list of JBB blunders. The Tanner Jeannot trade alone should have got him canned. Somehow JBB and Don Sweeny are bullet proof.
 

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Messages
2,939
Reaction score
3,158
On behalf of Wings fans everywhere:



#Selltheteam


I would take Stevie Y back in the Bay in a heartbeat! He built our last 2 cup winners and core.

I am not a fan of JBB, treats draft picks like they stole something from him, has signed some really bad contracts

Other then maybe the Blake Coleman deal (who we have here in MN now) he gets fleeced on nearly every trade. Yet somehow people love him.
 

402puck

Dee Snutzs
Messages
1,503
Reaction score
3,151
Sabs is a better player then you think. He provides non stop energy, is actually really good defensively and has some decent hockey IQ. Players play bigger when he is in the line up. Coop pushed JBB to get tougher and more physical. Sabs provides that when needed against teams like FLA.

Viel fills a much needed role and I get why he was signed. He can play up and down the line up in a pinch, where Sabs is at best a 3rd line guy. Having both in the line up makes TB a tougher team to play against .

Not sure what your level of hockey career was (not a slight, or dig, I just don't know you) but having played 2 years of Junior, I personally buy into the value of having guys like Sabourin on your team and in the line up. That's just my opinion and thoughts, not saying either of us is right or wrong.
I didn’t play at a high level but I did officiate up to juniors and college.

Sabourin is fine if you need a spot filled due to injury but if he’s an every night guy, that is not a good roster. A guy like Maroon makes sense because he was actually a decent offensive player despite being slow of foot.

I really like Harkins’ game and with Gourde out he bolsters their center depth and he’s a relentless forechecker.

I have no idea what to expect out of them. They won two Cups and I have zero room to complain for at least another ten years or so. I hope they’re good, as long as you have Kucherov and Vasilevskiy you have a window to make a deep run, but this is easily the most concerned I’ve been heading into a season since this run started.

Add these to the list of JBB blunders. The Tanner Jeannot trade alone should have got him canned. Somehow JBB and Don Sweeny are bullet proof.
JBB made the moves Yzerman never would and it led to b2b Cups. His cap management has been excellent as well as not getting caught up in nostalgia and shelling out big bucks for an aging Stamkos. He’s had a rough couple years of roster management, including this year’s roster composition, but things have to go really south for him to be on the hot seat, same with Coop (who I was calling for to be fired in December of 2019 after an awful start)
 
Top