Ja'Juan Seider - Running Backs Coach

Sea Turtle

Slow and steady wins the race
Messages
5,794
Reaction score
3,560
I feel like OL is by far the sketchiest part of the team now... maybe that and TE. Maybe we should get a local judge to declare Zach Martin eligible for another year.
The O-line is stacked with immense talent. If the line isn't dominant every year then maybe we have a coaching problem. Other teams would kill for that room.

Indiana took an ND cast-off and four 3 stars, a couple of running backs nobody had ever heard of and ran the ball at will.

They had seven 4 star players on the entire roster. I think coaching and scouting has gotten stale, lacking in creativity and a bit lazy.
 
Last edited:

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Staff member
Messages
45,886
Reaction score
21,951
Seems a lot of folks think the O-line will struggle simply because of Jagusah's absence. I give these guys more credit than that.
 

HouseofPain

Well-known member
Messages
665
Reaction score
569
Until I physically see Jagusah suited up and playing on Saturday this Fall, I’m not getting my hopes up. He broke his arm 6 months ago. He’s still not participating in team workouts? C’mon..

I think the OL will be just fine.
I agree. Some of those on this board think Jagusah runs around with an S on his chest but clearly it isnt the case. Maybe is 5-10% better than NDs other linemen WHEN HE IS IN PLAYING SHAPE. Going this long without lifting and physical activity there is no way that is the case.
 

KyfightingIrish36

Active member
Messages
892
Reaction score
162
Other then Miami I didn’t notice a lot of struggle from the o line.

Redzone was not good at all now that I think of it but pass pro seemed great all year minus Miami.
 

BleedBlueGold

Well-known member
Messages
6,465
Reaction score
2,796
Maybe I’m just up in my feelz, but I don’t like losing Schrauth and I can’t stand the short yardage operation without Riley (although Carr has shown an ability to execute QB run). Maybe stats don’t support my emoting. I’m willing to be talked off the ledge by OMM and others.

For the record, I don’t think any part of this team is going to be bad. I’m just hoping for a title run this year, so I’m looking for elite play by everyone. Coaches and units.
 

Punky

Well-known member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1,158
Impressive. When's the last time a guy has coached 4 of the top 5 position players in a draft?
 

OKCDomer23

Well-known member
Messages
772
Reaction score
655

Awesome pic. 4 studs especially our boys Love and Price. Smoke Price may go 1st rd also. Would be the first time since 2008 2 running backs went 1st rd from the same school (Arkansas- Jones/McFadden). Many feel Love is the best overall player in the draft.
 

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2026!
Messages
32,370
Reaction score
18,951
We're not great to the left

That was my immediate thought, short of Walton's one attempt which is a small sample size (They all are really), our left side is not blocking as well as the right at this time.
 

Calabrese's People

Well-known member
Messages
941
Reaction score
774
Lucky for all you muppets, I've just come from a 3 day coaching camp at Virginia Tech.

Just insert the running back who has the most success for the play that is being run.
Run left - sub in walton. run right -- sub in williams. run middle -- sub in james.

There. sorted.

Problem Solved
 

SportsingHard

Well-known member
Messages
1,398
Reaction score
1,211
Lucky for all you muppets, I've just come from a 3 day coaching camp at Virginia Tech.

Just insert the running back who has the most success for the play that is being run.
Run left - sub in walton. run right -- sub in williams. run middle -- sub in james.

There. sorted.

Problem Solved
Calabrese: Hey, Coach.

Franklin: Hey, Calabrese...hey, calabrese...hey, calabrese...hey, calabrese...hey, calabrese...how you doin', Calabrese...Calabrese, how you doin?...I'm saying how ya doin'.
 

Calabrese's People

Well-known member
Messages
941
Reaction score
774
it was more like:
Franklin: whats your name?
Me: Calabrese
Franklin: Calabrese? Hell of a name. Italian. tough. physical. omerta. you play linebacker son?
Me: im 42..
Franklin: .....perfect
Franklin points toward the only framed picture in his office.
VIRGINIA TECH RECRUITING CLASS RANKED #42
Franklin: That's what we're doing here son. Restoring a national powerhouse.
*whispers to staff* offer him before Rutgers does...
 

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Messages
15,774
Reaction score
13,694
Lucky for all you muppets, I've just come from a 3 day coaching camp at Virginia Tech.

Just insert the running back who has the most success for the play that is being run.
Run left - sub in walton. run right -- sub in williams. run middle -- sub in james.

There. sorted.

Problem Solved
Hi coach

Hi coach

Hi coach
 

Dale

Well-known member
Messages
19,049
Reaction score
33,417
Interesting that the difference in YPC between Williams and James is basically nonexistent given the widely disparate fan reaction to both RBs thus far. I guess James showing some wiggle on the pass plays really moved the perspective needle.

Williams excelled in the 2H versus Wisconsin, which seems largely forgotten for some reason. James was good in the 1H against Rice. Both struggled in the 1H versus Wisconsin. Williams struggled in the first half versus Rice. James had the receptions but didn’t run the ball much versus Wisconsin 2H.
 
Last edited:

Bane

Well-known member
Messages
2,556
Reaction score
5,274
James doesn't strike me as a guy who can hold up being a RB1 or even a truly heavily used RB2. I think his role is maybe something akin to Percy Harvin on the Gators/Vikings: a weapon of versatility who can move all around the field.
 

jerseyborn1971

Well-known member
Messages
756
Reaction score
1,186
Seider said Aneyas is pressing because he wants to please everyone. He's trying to get him to just relax and play.
 

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2026!
Messages
32,370
Reaction score
18,951
Seider said Aneyas is pressing because he wants to please everyone. He's trying to get him to just relax and play.

That's a bit of the problem, but he talked extensively about the OL missing some assignments or having too many guys in the box and not enough to block. That's not on Williams.
Ok if that's the case, why didn't Walton look bad as well?

Walton had the 2nd string OL blocking for him against the Rice backups, I believe he said. Obviously our 2nd string trumps Rice's by quite a bit. It was mentioned at least twice in the video "Look at the lane Walton has to work with! Williams didn't have those kinds of lanes."
 

Rocketman84

Well-known member
Messages
3,192
Reaction score
1,575
Lucky for all you muppets, I've just come from a 3 day coaching camp at Virginia Tech.

Just insert the running back who has the most success for the play that is being run.
Run left - sub in walton. run right -- sub in williams. run middle -- sub in james.

There. sorted.

Problem Solved
Except Walton averages 11.0ypc to the right 😁😁
 

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Messages
38,078
Reaction score
30,718
How much does he get blamed for the run game issues? 0%? Seems to not get talked about at all. He had it easy last year with two already developed first rounders.
 

Dale

Well-known member
Messages
19,049
Reaction score
33,417
More than 0% for sure. Singleton had similar issues. Also not “his guys” struggling. I wonder how itching he is or not for Walton too
 
Top