Everything Soccer

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
GHBJqYQWYAA5vO8

Three European competitions and all 7 Serie A clubs are still alive. Roma going through on pens yesterday was a whopper.

CTIDANDREW

Reaction score
GHBJqYQWYAA5vO8

Three European competitions and all 7 Serie A clubs are still alive. Roma going through on pens yesterday was a whopper.
Lame that Atalanta and Sporting Lisbon face each other in the last 16 after just being in the same group.
Should be some nice ties.

Interested to see how serious Liverpool and Leverkusen take it with thier domestic titles being far more important to thier fans.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Gary Neville calling Chelsea "Billion dollar bottle jobbers" might be the best piece of punditry in 2024 anywhere in sports.

Maybe if they spend a billion more they can win a cup final against middle schoolers.

Pochettino made sure to cry about the refs earlier in the week before the match was even played. Then afterwards he admits they were playing for penalty kicks against an injury riddled team that had teen academy players on the pitch at the end. For the final kicker, Poch walked right past Boehly without acknowledging him when they accepted second place. He's done. I'm amazed people continue to take this job knowing what it will do to a manager's career.

Money can buy a lot of things, but there are a lot of things it can't buy.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
Gary Neville calling Chelsea "Billion dollar bottle jobbers" might be the best piece of punditry in 2024 anywhere in sports.

Maybe if they spend a billion more they can win a cup final against middle schoolers.

Pochettino made sure to cry about the refs earlier in the week before the match was even played. Then afterwards he admits they were playing for penalty kicks against an injury riddled team that had teen academy players on the pitch at the end. For the final kicker, Poch walked right past Boehly without acknowledging him when they accepted second place. He's done. I'm amazed people continue to take this job knowing what it will do to a manager's career.

Money can buy a lot of things, but there are a lot of things it can't buy.
Thats is a name that sticks forever.

Not being privy to what was actually going on with Chelsea during extra time, I cannot understand why they sat back and played for penalties.

If they were tired and running out of steam... ok, he made subs and the subs were inneffective. Thats on Ponch.

If they were truly just playing ET to get to penalties and not taking the game to the kids, that's also on Ponch.

Maybe he didn't look at Boehly because he in fact couldn't look him in the eye knowing he got it wrong.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Thats is a name that sticks forever.

Not being privy to what was actually going on with Chelsea during extra time, I cannot understand why they sat back and played for penalties.

If they were tired and running out of steam... ok, he made subs and the subs were inneffective. Thats on Ponch.

If they were truly just playing ET to get to penalties and not taking the game to the kids, that's also on Ponch.

Maybe he didn't look at Boehly because he in fact couldn't look him in the eye knowing he got it wrong.
He got it wrong when he took the job in the first place. Ask Graham Potter. I highly doubt that situation has everyone on the same page.

Pochettino won a Ligue One title with PSG, which I think most average managers could have accomplished considering who was on his squad at the time and the resources they have. I have always liked him, but I can't help but wonder when the time is going to finally come for him. He's 51 years old and to this point has never really won anything. Managing at Tottenham and this version of Chelsea hasn't helped him any.

Twelve years ago when Brendan Rodgers was at Swansea, Chelsea had yet again sacked another manager and Rodgers told Swansea supporters he wasn't going to Chelsea. "I am trying to build my career and not destroy it."

I don't understand why people keep taking that job.

CTIDANDREW

Reaction score
He got it wrong when he took the job in the first place. Ask Graham Potter. I highly doubt that situation has everyone on the same page.

Pochettino won a Ligue One title with PSG, which I think most average managers could have accomplished considering who was on his squad at the time and the resources they have. I have always liked him, but I can't help but wonder when the time is going to finally come for him. He's 51 years old and to this point has never really won anything. Managing at Tottenham and this version of Chelsea hasn't helped him any.

Twelve years ago when Brendan Rodgers was at Swansea, Chelsea had yet again sacked another manager and Rodgers told Swansea supporters he wasn't going to Chelsea. "I am trying to build my career and not destroy it."

I don't understand why people keep taking that job.
$$$
There is a reason Graham Potter hasn't had to work in close to a year.

CTIDANDREW

Reaction score
What managerial careers has it destroyed though, except possibly Potter’s which time will tell?
Sarri, Conte, Mourinho, Tuchel, Ancelotti all were given great opportunities at top jobs after they were sacked. Most of them won league titles even after they were sacked, and I think a lot of United fans would say Jose was their best manager since SAF retired.

I guess you could say AVB, but he got top jobs after he was sacked as well. He was just found out not to be a great manager as some thought.
It is fair to say Lampard as well, but that was a unique circumstance with the transfer ban and very young squad.
He also still got the opportunity at Everton after he was sacked, which put the nail in his managerial coffin more then his time at Chelsea did.

Last edited:

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score

I don't know how much of this is schtick, but Goldbridge is pretty hilarious more often than not.

The first half stats were hilarious and totally unsustainable despite United having a 1-0 lead. A 3-1 final to City was very predictable even before Foden got the equalizer. I don't care who is playing, but the numbers in that match were a complete joke.

England needs to start asking themselves about who they call up for international breaks and who should be getting more minutes. You need to have Foden in your best 11. Don't care where he plays. Stunning form right now. I know the big viking kid that every defender south of Sheffield is terrified of is the face of the club, but Foden is emerging in such a way that the casual neutrals need to start taking notice.

Man United played City like complete cowards, and when you play City like cowards, they punish you. Every single time. Man United looked like a mid table Championship side happy to be in a cup tie with mighty Manchester City. Utterly embarrassing.

I don't see how Ten Hag is back next season. Marcus Rashford should probably put in a transfer request if he hasn't already. He's become somewhat of a scapegoat, and while some of the criticism is justified, quite a lot of it isn't. He's been with this club through a lot and probably needs a change of scenery very badly. Quite a few teams out there who could be helped by him on the left side.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
What managerial careers has it destroyed though, except possibly Potter’s which time will tell?
Sarri, Conte, Mourinho, Tuchel, Ancelotti all were given great opportunities at top jobs after they were sacked. Most of them won league titles even after they were sacked, and I think a lot of United fans would say Jose was their best manager since SAF retired.

I guess you could say AVB, but he got top jobs after he was sacked as well. He was just found out not to be a great manager as some thought.
DiMatteo. Frank. Time will tell on Sarri, but he's 65. I'd question the choices Mourinho made between Real Madrid and Roma. He absolutely called it about Manchester United. Finishing second with them was a feat, and most people just thought that was him continuing to pat himself on the back, but he was right.

Graham Potter was doing very good work at Brighton in that system. He left for money. The situation played itself out exactly as any rational person with a working brain could have predicted.

Pochettino is in the same boat as all the rest of these guys. He needs time to clean up the shit show they've created by doing nothing more than spending a billion dollars with no structure, culture or plan. Kind of like Manchester United. It's hard to believe that he's going to be given the time he needs to build on what is there, because they'll do what they've always done: fire him and just spend more money on players.

If it's about cashing in, I guess they're all successful, which can be said about the numerous North Americans who have done the same.

CTIDANDREW

Reaction score
DiMatteo. Frank. Time will tell on Sarri, but he's 65. I'd question the choices Mourinho made between Real Madrid and Roma. He absolutely called it about Manchester United. Finishing second with them was a feat, and most people just thought that was him continuing to pat himself on the back, but he was right.

Graham Potter was doing very good work at Brighton in that system. He left for money. The situation played itself out exactly as any rational person with a working brain could have predicted.

Pochettino is in the same boat as all the rest of these guys. He needs time to clean up the shit show they've created by doing nothing more than spending a billion dollars with no structure, culture or plan. Kind of like Manchester United. It's hard to believe that he's going to be given the time he needs to build on what is there, because they'll do what they've always done: fire him and just spend more money on players.

If it's about cashing in, I guess they're all successful, which can be said about the numerous North Americans who have done the same.
Not going to agree with that.
He won a Champions league and FA Cup at Chelsea. If anything Chelsea made his career way more then destroyed it.
He had been sacked by West Brom before taking over as caretaker / interim at Chelsea.
If it weren't for Chelsea, he likely would have managed for middle of the table clubs in Germany or Italy been sacked after a year or two, and no one would have ever gave a dam.

Sarri has been given two of the biggest jobs in Italy since he was sacked by Chelsea.
I think its fair to say his career has not been destroyed.
In the end, I know I made a joke about it being for the $$$...but history would tell us that sacked Chelsea managers seem on the most part to do just fine on top of being compensated very, very well for thier likely short time in west london.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Not going to agree with that.
He won a Champions league and FA Cup at Chelsea. If anything Chelsea made his career way more then destroyed it.
He had been sacked by West Brom before taking over as caretaker / interim at Chelsea.
If it weren't for Chelsea, he likely would have managed for middle of the table clubs in Germany or Italy been sacked after a year or two, and no one would have ever gave a dam.

Sarri has been given two of the biggest jobs in Italy since he was sacked by Chelsea.
I think its fair to say his career has not been destroyed.
In the end, I know I made a joke about it being for the $$$...but history would tell us that sacked Chelsea managers seem on the most part to do just fine on top of being compensated very, very well for thier likely short time in west london.
DiMatteo only won Champions League because he was appointed when they sacked AVB. Then they sacked DiMatteo the following season. He spent 8 months on the job, won two major trophies and they canned him. He's a technical director in South Korea now after stints with Schalke and Aston Villa. He never won anything again. Destroyed career, maybe not. Flourishing career? Probably not.

Sarri won a Covid title with Juventus. In Italy. Then they sacked him. A good majority of average to below average managers could have managed Juventus this century. Now he's at Lazio, who won a Coppa in 2019.

I honestly have no idea who would hire Frank Lampard at this point. Graham Potter I absolutely give another shot to. Maybe somebody like a Brentford or Newcastle perhaps?

So essentially you make money, get hired to other jobs where you also get fired when you win things or not. All of the job hopping doesn't seem to allow many of these guys to get in position to build. At least with Abramovich you knew who was in charge, but they currently don't even have that anymore. They spent a billion dollars to currently sit 11th and the pressure on Pochettino is mounting. Should they sack him, would someone like DeZerbi or Amorim want to walk into this situation? Or Man United? Or do you hold out for a Manchester City, Liverpool, Newcastle?

The problem more often than not is timing. Chelsea or Man United come calling, big clubs with money and notoriety, you have to leave and take the money while you're still in demand or feel as though you need to. It's a much different culture than the North American sports, I think we can all agree. You're basically getting hired to be fired and then go onto other jobs with big clubs.

GowerND11

Reaction score
I don't know if it necessarily torpedoes a manager's career, but it definitely does SOMETHING to the career. It also hurts the club, which I am all in favor of continuing. They spend spend spend, fire fire fire, and have absolutely no direction.

Keep it up Chelsea.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Sheffield United appear to be resigned to their fate of relegation. I know Arsenal are a good side, but this is embarrassing and pathetic.

Beating Liverpool a month ago have Arsenal full of belief. They've rolled past every League opponent since. Big away match at City at the end of March looming.

lcaps20

Reaction score
Sheffield United appear to be resigned to their fate of relegation. I know Arsenal are a good side, but this is embarrassing and pathetic.

Beating Liverpool a month ago have Arsenal full of belief. They've rolled past every League opponent since. Big away match at City at the end of March looming.
Should be a fun finish between City, Lvierpool, and Arsenal

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Should be a fun finish between City, Lvierpool, and Arsenal
I think it finishes the way it always does, but having the third team involved gives it a different flavor.

Feels like more neutrals are paying attention to this title race this year. With the level of scrutiny and criticism from top to bottom regarding their officiating, too, this could end up being incredibly interesting for the Premier League and their exposure.

The relegation battle depends on what happens now with Everton and Nottingham Forest. Burnley and Sheffield are going down for sure. Burnley seems to have some fight. Sheffield not so much. I would hope that Burnley sticks with Vincent Kompany next year but you never know when it comes to how these clubs enjoy sacking managers.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Early Europa starts today.

Roma under DeRossi is so much fun. For as much as I miss Mourinho, DeRossi has Roma doing things.

Leverkusen trails 1-0. They are unbeaten in all comps to this point.

This Darwin Nunez guy on Liverpool seems to be coming along well. He's not a viking god yet, but whoa.

Our friend @ACamp1900 is a Benfica supporter today.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Leverkusen draw 2-2 after being down 2-0 at half. Still unbeaten in all comps.

Roma 4. Brighton 0.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
That Roma game was impressive, Brighton just isn't the same team with all of the injuries though.
I have an irrational urge to cheer against DeZerbi, and he's Italian, so I'm normally the opposite. LOL.

I get the feeling he's going to wind up at Chelsea so I'm already preparing myself to dislike him.