'24 NC ATH Bryce Young (Notre Dame Signee)

fightingirish26

Reaction score
I’m not going to sugarcoat it… Young is my favorite commit on Defense so far.

Evidently he is in the middle of a growth spurt, so when he was rated he was around 6’3 & 210, but now he is just under 6’6 and over 240, and skinny looking.
He’s going to be over 6’6 & 270ish when he gets to ND.
And genetics matter. High football IQ, athletic, hard worker & overall smart kid.

I’m going to go ahead & predict he is going to be the best of the D-line recruits.
The clip from Jamie U's film don't lie of him chasing down the ball carrier from all the way across the field....damn

IAIrish

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
I’m not going to sugarcoat it… Young is my favorite commit on Defense so far.

Evidently he is in the middle of a growth spurt, so when he was rated he was around 6’3 & 210, but now he is just under 6’6 and over 240, and skinny looking.
He’s going to be over 6’6 & 270ish when he gets to ND.
And genetics matter. High football IQ, athletic, hard worker & overall smart kid.

I’m going to go ahead & predict he is going to be the best of the D-line recruits.
He's got the frame and athletic ability.
And he just so happens to have a hall of Famer as a dad, coaching him on the nuances of the position. "Son, i want you to meet my old friend, Charles Haley." Getting guys whose fathers played at a high level can microwave development, which is what happened with Alt.
If he has the work ethic and desire to be violent, look out.

NDIrish1988

Banned
Reaction score
ND hasn’t won a title in 35 yr and you guys want to follow the same worn out path of recruiting 3* tryhards and hoping they develop into studs. It doesn’t work.

Chicago Domer

Reaction score
Don’t care, sorry if you guys don’t want to accept the truth. Freeman isn’t doing what was promised. This Defensive class is horrible at this point.
Just stop posting for a while. Get a life. Nobody really wants to listen to you. You destroy any good discussion. You are truly a d______d.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You mean "Very good number for a three star".
It's funny you say that because I just got done watching ISD's coverage of Benedict Umeh from the Connecticut Showcase at Avon Farms. Now I see this and I think to myself, which one of these guys should be the top 150 DL? If rankings didn't exist, I know which one I'd prefer.

Rambler09

Reaction score
To NDIrish1988's point, at present our #4 rated class is incredibly heavy on offensive talent (by the rankings) and very light on top end defensive talent. 9 of our top 10 247 composite players are on offense (with Bryce Young being the lone one at 331 overall).

Bryce Young - 4 star - 331 overall
Leonard Moore - 4 star - 345 overall
Owen Wafle - 4 star - 402 overall

The rest are 3 stars and rank between 428 - 846.

To compare that to last year - 6 of our top 10 players were defensive players with the lowest of those (Minich) being ranked 340 (about the same as Young/Moore).

If you look at Pete Sampson's recent analysis by star ranking and draft success and Jamie U's analysis of draft talent and winning, in the aggregate, that's not great news.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
I don’t care if he’s rated a 2 star if he can play at a 4 or 5 star level. Given what he’s shown, he’s underrated.
He may explode and be amazing, but more often than not with 3 stars it's the "i've heard this story before".

As Rambler09 touches on, a players individual ranking doesn't dictate their success, but you can pretty much right a team off from being championship level if we're trying to find all the diamonds in the rough.

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
Measurables, athleticism, pedigree. There is everything to like here even with a tad of healthy skepticism. Apart from that people are grasping for straws finding ways to not be the least bit optimistic in what the program has here with this verbal commitment.

I'm guessing Bryce is going to do things his senior year that will make it difficult to be ignored.

GoIrish41

Paterfamilius
Reaction score
To NDIrish1988's point, at present our #4 rated class is incredibly heavy on offensive talent (by the rankings) and very light on top end defensive talent. 9 of our top 10 247 composite players are on offense (with Bryce Young being the lone one at 331 overall).

Bryce Young - 4 star - 331 overall
Leonard Moore - 4 star - 345 overall
Owen Wafle - 4 star - 402 overall

The rest are 3 stars and rank between 428 - 846.

To compare that to last year - 6 of our top 10 players were defensive players with the lowest of those (Minich) being ranked 340 (about the same as Young/Moore).

If you look at Pete Sampson's recent analysis by star ranking and draft success and Jamie U's analysis of draft talent and winning, in the aggregate, that's not great news.
Recruiting rankings ebb and flow. 3 months from now players will have moved up and down. You are comparing rankings at the start of a cycle with where the players ended up in another cycle. Where was Munich ranked at this time last year?

Last edited: