2023 - State of the Recruiting Class

Free Manera

Reaction score
This is what’s very confusing for me — feels like the convo has shifted from “if we can plug the holes, raise the floor on offensive skill, and get a stud QB we can get (closer to) over the hump” via the Clemson model to “we missed on the 5* so we’re effed”. Of course I’m not glad guys flipped, but viewed them more as gravy & putting the program ahead of schedule rather than being core to the program’s trajectory and overall success.

I genuinely feel bad for those looking at the last couple years recruiting (especially in light of the NIL landscape) and can’t find a way to be optimistic or positive at all. Hate it break it to you, but until there are some real structural changes in the sport, these are the “good old days”

I think the most important positions in college football now are QB, WR, CB, and rush end. ND did very well at 3/4 of those this cycle. Vyper is a problem but hopefully it can be plugged via the portal.

With how well ND recruits at O line, they should be able to put up serious points with guys like Greathouse, Flores, Love, and Minchey. That is the first step to winning a playoff game. Taking the air out of the ball and keeping points down isn't an option with how games are officiated these days. Good teams are going to score and you gotta be able to score with them.

INLaw

Hardcore chooch
Reaction score
I think the most important positions in college football now are QB, WR, CB, and rush end. ND did very well at 3/4 of those this cycle. Vyper is a problem but hopefully it can be plugged via the portal.

With how well ND recruits at O line, they should be able to put up serious points with guys like Greathouse, Flores, Love, and Minchey. That is the first step to winning a playoff game. Taking the air out of the ball and keeping points down isn't an option with how games are officiated these days. Good teams are going to score and you gotta be able to score with them.
Maybe we are just gonna go to a three down base and fuck the vyper position for more of hand down outside linebacker. We got some of those including Zinter in this class

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
I seriously can’t believe some of the bullshit I’m hearing from posters because of the loss Bowen. No instant impact players!?

Flores, James and Greathouse will be playing a ton of snaps next year. Love will play next year.

Christian Grey and Michael Bell will be our 3 and 4th best corners next year behind Morrison and Cam. They’ll play right away. Shuler and Hillman will lock down both safety positions sooner rather than later. Vernon and Hustan will be in the two deep by August.

This is a phenomenal class. I’m excited to see them play and develop.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
I seriously can’t believe some of the bullshit I’m hearing from posters because of the loss Bowen. No instant impact players!?
I’m sure you’re right,… however this isn’t just Bowen. I was hyped for a legit five star QB, Bowen, Edwards (I pictured another Ricky Watters), and Keely and we lost all of them. No one else really hyped me like the aforementioned. I guess I got into the class at the wrong time. Today just depressed me hard. The Oregon thing was strange enough I laughed it off but him still going to OU afterwards idk,… Trattou ptsd night terrors,… idk. I haven’t thought of JT and that whole fiasco in a long while. Flooded back today.

Anyway, little side point, I see others get down and try to lighten shit up or just let them alone for a few,… I get down and share it in literally like two posts it’s attacks in PM, not so veiled ‘ignore’ threats and calls of bullshit. Ok then,… Like I said I obviously like the class and recognize it’s a good one but I’ll prob never be able to get over what it could have been (transfer QB shit ain’t helping) and will remember it for that,… that’s a me problem but I’m just sharing my feelings… so yeah, sorry.

IrishInMIA

Reaction score
I actually like this class as is. Would it have been nice to have PB at Safety going into next year? Of course. Is it a prerequisite for our success and a hurdle to our playoff potential? Nope. If we fixed our QB situation, our WR depth and upgraded the talent on the D-Line, we can win today with the guys we have in the secondary. I'm anticipating an improvement in the athleticism, and depth in the linebackers and secondary. That SHOULD improve the sureness in the tackling. And a continued shedding of the old bad habits of the prior staff...things like "traits"... The young guys will play and contribute early.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
I’m sure you’re right,… however this isn’t just Bowen. I was hyped for a legit five star QB, Bowen, Edwards (I pictured another Ricky Watters), and Keely and we lost all of them. No one else really hyped me like the aforementioned. I guess I got into the class at the wrong time. Today just depressed me hard. The Oregon thing was strange enough I laughed it off but him still going to OU afterwards idk,… Trattou ptsd night terrors,… idk. I haven’t thought of JT and that whole fiasco in a long while. Flooded back today.

Anyway, little side point, I see others get down and try to lighten shit up or just let them alone for a few,… I get down and share it in literally like two posts it’s attacks in PM, not so veiled ‘ignore’ threats and calls of bullshit. Ok then,… Like I said I obviously like the class and recognize it’s a good one but I’ll prob never be able to get over what it could have been (transfer QB shit ain’t helping) and will remember it for that,… that’s a me problem but I’m just sharing my feelings… so yeah, sorry.
I've been there man. It sucks. I barely got on here for a few years because of all of it. The more it happens, the easier it is to sit back and watch the ride. Signing day will only get worse until they take my advice and do away with it and give kids the ability to sign whenever they want lol. They won't though, both signing days bring too much money now.

Take some time off. Now is the time to do it. Not much will happen between now and February's signing day. You can read up on Spring Practice and Fall Practice anywhere. Nobody will fault you.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score

Vanderdoes saga forced me off following recruiting for a long time. This was really the first class I'd be locked back onto following unfold. Tough not to get invested in thinking about what each guy could be at ND.

Dale

Reaction score
You keep saying we’re moving Junior there like he didn’t play there most of the season. Listen to some of Golden’s early pressers. He used the term combo guy that he also uses on Marist and Botelho right away.

jprue24

Reaction score
You keep saying we’re moving Junior there like he didn’t play there most of the season. Listen to some of Golden’s early pressers. He used the term combo guy that he also uses on Marist and Botelho right away.
When did he play vyper this year?

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
View attachment 3052357

Bama OSU and UGA always have a ton of five stars. But look at their BCR over the last 4 years. If ND can maintain 80-90% BCR, it looks a lot like those teams.

BCR isn't the be all end all, but it is pretty clear 82% under Freeman vs. 62% under Kelly is a massive difference.

ND was actually at 55% and tied for 14th in BCR in 2021, before any classes Freeman was involved in. Jump to 9th was because because of Freeman's 2022 haul which are all freshman. We could jump to 6th for 2023 with this incoming class.

247's team talent composite is honestly way better bc it sums the actual player ranking. ND will look better than our "actual" talent level on BCR since we have signed a ton of 4 stars over the previous 2 cycles.

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score

Interesting to me - Only the big three schools (Bama, UGA, OSU) are above 92 average player rating in the 2022 team talent composite, which where ND is over the last two classes. ND is likely significantly better at retaining talent than a lot of the other top programs.

FWIrish4

Reaction score

Interesting to me - Only the big three schools (Bama, UGA, OSU) are above 92 average player rating in the 2022 team talent composite, which where ND is over the last two classes. ND is likely significantly better at retaining talent than a lot of the other top programs.
Just another Kelly class smh.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
So what did Pendleton momma and keeley’s momma say on twitter? Seems like keeley’s mom deleted a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
Yeah and Kelly has another 13 slots to Phil. He’s done a really great turn around at LSU

Kelly still isn't doing shit when it comes to recruiting.

His staff is doing it for him. And LSU can sell itself rather easily (history of success, second or third most players on active NFL rosters, SEC, huge brand)

BK just comes in when the kid is going to commit and "closes".

Grahambo

Varsity Club Member
Reaction score
Stars mean shit now. Now it’s all about development. We’ll see which coaching staff is truly better.

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
Are we still looking to add to the class in February? Any prospects/guys we are targeting?

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
Are we still looking to add to the class in February? Any prospects/guys we are targeting?

As of now, nothing has been said or reported that ND is targeting any more players to add to the class.

That could change. There's always a handful or two of underrated/late-risers that don't sign in December.

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
As of now, nothing has been said or reported that ND is targeting any more players to add to the class.

That could change. There's always a handful or two of underrated/late-risers that don't sign in December.

That's why I asked, I couldn't remember or recall any names. Then again I'm an idiot and all the DM and PB posts fried my brain. F-it, might as well hit the Pen and crush some 🍕, I'm a lost cause

FWIrish4

Reaction score
Yeah and Kelly has another 13 slots to Phil. He’s done a really great turn around at LSU
I refuse to argue about this any further for 2 reasons:

1) Not a single person who has made the claim “there’s no improvement from previous classes” or something similar, has provided an ounce of evidence proving their claim (because there is literally none).
2) Your argument’s goal posts have moved so much that you’re literally hanging your hat on a different school’s recruiting class.

benneboy

And I own every kind of classic car!
Reaction score
So what did Pendleton momma and keeley’s momma say on twitter? Seems like keeley’s mom deleted a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apparently Keeley's mom mentioned that alabama wasn't even their biggest pay for play offer. Which means she wasn't super in tune to the admission that comes with a tweet like that. Sounds like someone let her know.

jprue24

Reaction score
UNC, BYU and Syracuse he registered snaps on the edge. I distinctly remember Cuse he was on one edge and Botelho was on the other.
Oh, I remember Marist on the edge, not Jr. I probably just assumed Marist because of the hair.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Apparently Keeley's mom mentioned that alabama wasn't even their biggest pay for play offer. Which means she wasn't super in tune to the admission that comes with a tweet like that. Sounds like someone let her know.
I saw it before it was deleted, off a Sampson tweet. She said "he didn't go to the highest bidder, he went where he wanted to be" or something to that effect.
Which, yeah, I'm sure one of the real aggressive NIL schools offered more than Bama did. But Bama still offered more than we did. And so here we are, and there he is.

ND88

Reaction score
Listen Freeman is a decent fellow. I want him to win but he didn’t win this year and he couldn’t close this Class like he should have. We nearly had a 300 point class and the it was picked apart a bit too much.

The news now is about Oregon, Miami, USC and Oklahoma- all with either rookie or fairly new HCs.

Losing 4 games - two of them of which are inexcusable is costly. I just don’t have confidence as Freeman as HC. He should let Rees go but I don’t think he has the gumption or even authority to do so.
And that’s fine that you don’t have confidence in Freeman. Your point has been made a million times. No need to ever repeat it again as that would be redundant. So let’s play the quiet game, because Freeman ain’t going anywhere, and unless you’re Nostradamus, you’re stuck on the ride or pick another team. BTW, when he is successful, you’re still free to enjoy.

Last edited: