2023-24 Notre Dame Women's Basketball

arrowryan

Reaction score
Through 5 games, Hidalgo is averaging 25 ppg. They’ve had some really good players over the last 20 years, but I’ve never seen a true freshman start out like this.

laughingirish90

Reaction score
Through 5 games, Hidalgo is averaging 25 ppg. They’ve had some really good players over the last 20 years, but I’ve never seen a true freshman start out like this.
i thought she could come in right away and compete for the ACC freshmen of the year but now she may be in the running for ACC POY award if she keeps up this pace with the scoring and steals. players like this only don't come around very often so enjoy the show she is putting on right now everybody.

irishandy

Reaction score
Great stat with her averaging 25 ppg, also impressive with her almost averaging 7 steals per game.

laughingirish90

Reaction score
Great stat with her averaging 25 ppg, also impressive with her almost averaging 7 steals per game.
even though only a freshmen she has to be the favorite for ACC POY already between the way she is scoring and being a demon on defense

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Very awkward yet encouraging game. We lost Prosper somehow to draw the roster down to the bone. This required Bransford to start --- and she controlled most of the game of the little which we controlled in the first half. We stunk, but she did not. Hildalgo was also controlled by Tennessee --- VERY subdued. Our bigs were also awkward in the half. 25 total points. Terrible. Even with a mediocre TE offensive team, we looked bad.

Then along comes the second half, and Lord Be Praised Coach seems to actually adjust. KKBransford still played well. She controlled one of the guards consistently. The little guard from Fordham grew into a role --- she began to look like a take charge veteran that she should be. I liked all her second half game and most of the first. Westbeld began playing much more like a vet. Watson continued the trend, as TE turned out to have too few physical players and WE turned into the paint aggressors. THEN Marshall exerted herself into the number one threat. Ivey's decision to emphasize our bigs ended up turning the game, and everyone stepped up. There was huge overall Confidence shown by them all. Hope that they remember.

It's not that Tennessee was a great team --- they are not. But our "shrinking violet" players decided to become completely game-engaged. Even if we had lost, this game might have been worth it, We won on effort and smarts with NO (ZERO) outside shooting ability.

There is no question however that we need to get our injured players back (especially Sonia) --- there was no comment about Cassandra Prosper. Miles was said to be at least shooting in practice. Carrying their extra load might improve us markedly.

laughingirish90

Reaction score
the win at Louisville last season to take the conference title was probably the biggest win of Ivey's coaching career but this game is close because winning at UT isn't easy and to do it after being down 16 makes it even more impressive.

stpeteirish

House Skeptic
Reaction score
Ivey’s stock is rising. Starting show she’s more than just someone who can accumulate talent .
Last nights game was remarkable; the 7 who played last night would have a hard time beating the 5 who couldn’t (miles,citron, prosper, brown and obimma)

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
The ladies losing someone annually to an ACL is one tradition I could do without.

stpeteirish

House Skeptic
Reaction score
they deleted the part about her being out for the season. I think the staffer who mentioned it wasn't supposed to. But now we know what her injury is.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
they deleted the part about her being out for the season. I think the staffer who mentioned it wasn't supposed to. But now we know what her injury is.
Yeah, I see they changed it ….”Although still recovering from a torn ACL”

JurDocDuLac

Reaction score
Very awkward yet encouraging game. We lost Prosper somehow to draw the roster down to the bone. This required Bransford to start --- and she controlled most of the game of the little which we controlled in the first half. We stunk, but she did not. Hildalgo was also controlled by Tennessee --- VERY subdued. Our bigs were also awkward in the half. 25 total points. Terrible. Even with a mediocre TE offensive team, we looked bad.

Then along comes the second half, and Lord Be Praised Coach seems to actually adjust. KKBransford still played well. She controlled one of the guards consistently. The little guard from Fordham grew into a role --- she began to look like a take charge veteran that she should be. I liked all her second half game and most of the first. Westbeld began playing much more like a vet. Watson continued the trend, as TE turned out to have too few physical players and WE turned into the paint aggressors. THEN Marshall exerted herself into the number one threat. Ivey's decision to emphasize our bigs ended up turning the game, and everyone stepped up. There was huge overall Confidence shown by them all. Hope that they remember.

It's not that Tennessee was a great team --- they are not. But our "shrinking violet" players decided to become completely game-engaged. Even if we had lost, this game might have been worth it, We won on effort and smarts with NO (ZERO) outside shooting ability.

There is no question however that we need to get our injured players back (especially Sonia) --- there was no comment about Cassandra Prosper. Miles was said to be at least shooting in practice. Carrying their extra load might improve us markedly.

OMM, thank you for your substantial and informative comments.
You have made this one of the most high-quality threads on this great Board.
Keep it up, pls

(and Mods, thanks for keeping the trolls out)
--
p.s. - OMM, your O-Line comments are equally welcome as well!

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Thanks and you're welcome --- I like BBall analysis and helped two college coaches (one men's one womens) a little bit during my life.
Saw a lot of real Ball in both practice and from the bench game situations. If someone else did the recruiting, I wouldn't have minded a career doing something like that. It was great fun. One of the biggest keys to analysis is getting your emotions/prejudices/eyeball blinders out of your head. Most of IEs crummy threads are caused by people who can't do that at all.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Couldn't watch game therefore no earned right to comment. Syracuse seems like a pretty good team --- only one loss so far --- and we still don't have Citron, Miles, nor Prosper (and Ivey has messed the Risch situation up terminally so she's transferring.) If Sonia were there, we'd very probably win this one. (for example.) Our bigs apparently got mugged, giving up something like 20 offensive rebounds (that's almost impossible to survive.) All three of Citron, Miles, and Prosper can DRebound, so that would have helped. If at least two of our three injured players don't come back soon AND healthy, this will be a depressing could-have-been season.

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
Bigs had a rough game. But that hasn’t been indicative of their play this year. It was a bad game. It happens.

In terms of rebounding, it was weird to see the offensive rebounds occur. There was a big commitment to boxing out, but for some reason a lack of actual going and getting the ball. Seemed like the game plan might have been geared more for the guards to rebound while the bigs boxed out. Not sure though.

KK also had a rough game. Didn’t make much impact on both sides of the ball.

Syracuse was smart to play up tempo the whole game as well. With only 6, team was gassed by the 4th.

I thought Emma was injured. But OMM is she for real just sitting out and then transferring?

stpeteirish

House Skeptic
Reaction score
Couldn't watch game therefore no earned right to comment. Syracuse seems like a pretty good team --- only one loss so far --- and we still don't have Citron, Miles, nor Prosper (and Ivey has messed the Risch situation up terminally so she's transferring.) If Sonia were there, we'd very probably win this one. (for example.) Our bigs apparently got mugged, giving up something like 20 offensive rebounds (that's almost impossible to survive.) All three of Citron, Miles, and Prosper can DRebound, so that would have helped. If at least two of our three injured players don't come back soon AND healthy, this will be a depressing could-have-been season.
Where did you see that Risch is transferring?

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
I’ll also add that it’s pretty remarkable that we were in the game with Nat, Kylee, and KK playing pretty poorly and with Maddy in foul trouble. The team had lots of mistakes but their gritt and effort kept them in the game. Hannah and Anna in particular was Herculean. Anna could barely function by the 4th.

stpeteirish

House Skeptic
Reaction score
Yeah Anna played 40 minutes which is way too much. With Proper and Citron available that is probably cut in half.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
I really hope that I've gotten bad information on this, but I read a report (a tweet or a you-tube bit I think) that had her saying that she was taking her playing career to Tulane. I probably shouldn't be writing such things without stronger evidence, but the quote sounded like it was Emma saying this. Again, I hope that I'm wrong --- not the least because she has the background of being a long distance bomber along with generally good play.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
I've tried to re-look this up, and am getting a creepy feeling that the apparently straightforward tweet has to be wrong somehow. Nothing else that I can find indicates anything like it. Let's assume that this thing whatever it is fooled me, and I went with it ... apologies.

sfk324

Reaction score
I really hope that I've gotten bad information on this, but I read a report (a tweet or a you-tube bit I think) that had her saying that she was taking her playing career to Tulane. I probably shouldn't be writing such things without stronger evidence, but the quote sounded like it was Emma saying this. Again, I hope that I'm wrong --- not the least because she has the background of being a long distance bomber along with generally good play.
You misread a Google result as being from her that is just a tweet she liked about a guy who went to her high school that will be playing baseball at Tulane.1000004379.png

sfk324

Reaction score
Emma is going to have hip surgery and is out the rest of the season.

No updates on timelines for any of the other injured players.

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
ND gutted out a win against Pitt. One of the worst officiated games I’ve ever seen. Refs couldn’t wait to call a foul on us. Marshall fouled out in the third quarter and Westbeld went out in the third with a concussion taking a shoulder to the face with of course a foul being called on her. Left us with basically 5 players. Watson and Becky O somehow managed to not foul out playing with 4 in the 4th. Lot could be said about the play of the team but this was just survive and advance.

stpeteirish

House Skeptic
Reaction score
ND gutted out a win against Pitt. One of the worst officiated games I’ve ever seen. Refs couldn’t wait to call a foul on us. Marshall fouled out in the third quarter and Westbeld went out in the third with a concussion taking a shoulder to the face with of course a foul being called on her. Left us with basically 5 players. Watson and Becky O somehow managed to not foul out playing with 4 in the 4th. Lot could be said about the play of the team but this was just survive and advance.
We’ll survive anyway. We need to get some of our injured players back asap or we won’t be beating too many people
It would be nice if our coach would give the fans some clarity on the injured players