'19 TX S Brandon Joseph (Northwestern Transfer -> Notre Dame Verbal)

Islandboi

Reaction score
A lot of frustrations boiling out at every perceived weakness because of the impending Ohio State ass whooping. But what if. What if this time we win the damn thing :). Got 44 days may as well be positive
I know a lot of ppl out there thinks that ND is gonna get beat badly. I'm not one of them. I actually feel pretty good about the game because of our DC. I think with him knowing how to adjust on the fly will really help this defense keep ND in the game. And believe it or not. I know some here don't like Rees as an OC. But I really believe that Kelly kinda held him back on what plays he could call. Yeah he said that Kelly never stopped him from calling what he wanted. But I think that was just Rees not wanting to burn bridges and showing a bit of respect to the guy that got him his 1st shot to prove himself. The offense that I saw against OSU wasn't the same one I saw while Kelly was still the HC. Thats just my 2 cents. And maybe I'm just still high.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
That's a high standard to hold someone too. I think he will be very good as well but i am not sure he'll be that good. However i do think he'll be the brains of the backend of the defense.
I think we’ll get better production out of Joseph but not the unreal plays Kyle gave…. Teams schemed around him some but Kyle missed a lot of games and was still growing into his body and abilities

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
well, here is an objective (arguably) source. I post this to you because Mr. KNOW NOTHING is a hot mess.

Weirdest analysis I’ve ever looked at. His scores say he’s bad at everything, then the write up says he’s nfl talent… if Lewis plays like a future nfl corner NDs D could be top 5 in college

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
Both Rutgers corners significantly better than Lewis. I will say i haven’t watched Kansas corners so maybe you could be right there.
Openly admits to not watching every teams corners....sticks feet in ground on someone being worst in all college at his position

Got it

benneboy

Reaction score
What top 15 defense are you referencing, we were like 43rd?
43rd in total yardage allowed which is a very poor measure of how good a defense is. Either FEI or even scoring are better metrics but scoring doesn't take a lot of important variables into account. We were 11th and 15th in those metrics respectively.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Sorry, you'll never convince me our defense was that good last season. We looked great in November on paper, but that was after facing some pretty awful offenses between Navy and the teams missing QBs or their best weapons. Some thought we turned a corner at that point, but we then got exposed by an OSU team that was known for their defense, not offense. That one was partially on Elston. Some things last season were certainly out of our control, like injuries and some recruiting holes prior to Freeman getting here. That said we played poorly against a 5 win FSU to start the season, 6 win VT (The only teams VT scored more points on last season were Middle Tennessee and Syracuse), 29 points to Toledo, etc. The Wisconsin win looked good at first, and then Mertz went on to break 200 yards passing 4 times all season, never even reached 300 once. We really didn't face a lot of world beaters on offense last season, so it's hard to say the defense was really dominant even in the games where we held teams to lower point totals.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Sorry, you'll never convince me our defense was that good last season. We looked great in November on paper, but that was after facing some pretty awful offenses between Navy and the teams missing QBs or their best weapons. Some thought we turned a corner at that point, but we then got exposed by an OSU team that was known for their defense, not offense. That one was partially on Elston. Some things last season were certainly out of our control, like injuries and some recruiting holes prior to Freeman getting here. That said we played poorly against a 5 win FSU to start the season, 6 win VT (The only teams VT scored more points on last season were Middle Tennessee and Syracuse), 29 points to Toledo, etc. The Wisconsin win looked good at first, and then Mertz went on to break 200 yards passing 4 times all season, never even reached 300 once. We really didn't face a lot of world beaters on offense last season, so it's hard to say the defense was really dominant even in the games where we held teams to lower point totals.
I mean, you have to consider that we played the entire second half of the season without the best safety in CFB and the unquestioned leader of the defense, and without our best LB for the whole season and had a dude playing 70+ snaps a game while injured.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I mean, you have to consider that we played the entire second half of the season without the best safety in CFB and the unquestioned leader of the defense, and without our best LB for the whole season and had a dude playing 70+ snaps a game while injured.
Right, we could have probably posted some shutouts if we were healthy and deep at a few positions. Navy in particular ran for 150 yards, 30 of which came on a busted play, and threw for 18 yards. It sounds like an impressive defensive feat...until you find out they had a combined 68 yards of total offense against AIR FORCE! :laugh: Like I said, the numbers on our defense last season are deceptive.

INLaw

Reaction score
I think our defensive backfield. Gonna be sneaky good this year.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Right, we could have probably posted some shutouts if we were healthy and deep at a few positions. Navy in particular ran for 150 yards, 30 of which came on a busted play, and threw for 18 yards. It sounds like an impressive defensive feat...until you find out they had a combined 68 yards of total offense against AIR FORCE! :laugh: Like I said, the numbers on our defense last season are deceptive.
I mean, again, ND was basically without 2 of their best and most disruptive players for most or all of last season, in year 1 of a completely new defensive scheme.

Defense got exploited in the bowl game, because the backfield went Michigan 2011 and Elston called an absolute turd-fest of a 2nd half.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I mean, again, ND was basically without 2 of their best and most disruptive players for most or all of last season, in year 1 of a completely new defensive scheme.

Defense got exploited in the bowl game, because the backfield went Michigan 2011 and Elston called an absolute turd-fest of a 2nd half.
I don't blame them for being bad. I acknowledge that we had injury issues and depth problems. It's not the players' fault. At the same time, I certainly don't buy the narrative that some have pushed that they were a good defense. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

Irish4life

Reaction score

INLaw

Reaction score
Does that include the second half of OSU fiasco because if you took that out and adjusted for Freeman ran defense could be a few ticks higher

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
It's not going to properly adjust for Virginia's QB being injured and his backup playing like ass. It's opponent adjusted, but again, the numbers don't tell the complete story. You can't go through four years of Lea and Elko and tell me last year's defense felt stout.
I felt like we were stout. Our loss to Cincy was completely on the offense. The defense was great that game. We gave up two scoring drives at the end of the first and second halves respectively, probably after being gassed because the offense couldn’t move the ball.

The only game I remember them looking poor was OSU and that was honestly for one quarter in the third.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Completely agree, Our D did not play well vs offenses with a pulse … but we dominated bad offenses to give people false confidence

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
I felt like we were stout. Our loss to Cincy was completely on the offense. The defense was great that game. We gave up two scoring drives at the end of the first and second halves respectively, probably after being gassed because the offense couldn’t move the ball.

The only game I remember them looking poor was OSU and that was honestly for one quarter in the third.
Lewis gave up I think 2 bombs to pierce where he got smoked, offense was biggest reason for loss, but Lewis prevented D from having a really good game

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
Lewis gave up I think 2 bombs to pierce where he got smoked, offense was biggest reason for loss, but Lewis prevented D from having a really good game
Disagree. The D did have a really good game against Cincy even if there were two bombs given up. That’s bound to happen in todays college football.

INLaw

Reaction score
It's not going to properly adjust for Virginia's QB being injured and his backup playing like ass. It's opponent adjusted, but again, the numbers don't tell the complete story. You can't go through four years of Lea and Elko and tell me last year's defense felt stout.
The three man front series were always butt. Never got good at that last year

T-Boone

Reaction score
Completely agree, Our D did not play well vs offenses with a pulse … but we dominated bad offenses to give people false confidence
That’s probably true of all but 2 or 3 defenses.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

It's perception. Look at that Navy game I referenced. Giving up 130 yards rushing and 18 yards passing would be incredibly impressive against past Navy teams, but then you see that Air Force gave up half as many yards it's not that big a deal. Holding a strong Virginia offense to just 3 points any other week would have been impressive, but we faced their backup QB who threw 2 picks and took 7 sacks. They did play pretty well against Cinci all things considered, but it's more like the exception than the rule. At the end of the day it was an American Conference opponent in our stadium with far less talent. Feels like a weak BK 2010 Irish team mentality. Wisky was garbage on offense. Too many points given up to teams like Florida State and Toledo.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Disagree. The D did have a really good game against Cincy even if there were two bombs given up. That’s bound to happen in todays college football.
That's fine, D gave up 24 points to a good offense, not a great one. Good enough to win, but not a really good performance in my mind. Especially with game at home.